New to Cycling - Must lose Weight! Please Help

Here is a little update to my forum post. After writing this I became very sick with a terrible flu for weeks then tore my cornea on my left eye. Lets just say it has been an unpleasant few months. On top of everything I started a new job which required some traveling and when I was able to ride it rained here in NY practically every single day.

Now I finally started to ride and I LOVE IT! I have been riding for about a week now, haven't skipped a day but I need to get some rest in. The most I have ridden was about 13 miles and it took me just under 2 hours. With a sore behind, severe chafing, not knowing how many exactl miles I am doing per ride, the exact length of the ride, cadence, average speed, etc... I wasn't going anywhere.

Finally invested in some bicycle shorts, and let me tell you... BEST INVESTMENT EVER! chafing is gone, no more irritation and my butt doesn't hurt as much. I also invested in padded gloves, iphone holder (a must lol!) and a computer that reads cadence, average speed, heart rate, etc...

Now I know that when I start my ride for the first 45 minutes my average speed is around 12mph and towards the last 30 minutes my average speed drops to 8mph.

I was just drinking coffee before my rides but its getting harder and harder so now I have started to drink 1 scoop of 100% whey, a cup of coffee and some low fat cottage cheese. After my ride I have steel cut oats. I think I should have the oats before my ride for energy. Can anyone give me advise so that I have longer and better rides? I know, practice, practice, practice, but I want to ride longer I am just out of energy. I drink 1 water bottle of plain water throughout my ride.

I am eating less and healthier than I did since I started riding... Baked chicken, grilled fish, whole grain rice, lean steak, vegetables, fruits (very little), steel cut oats, low fat cottage cheese and coffee. For supplements I am drinking 100% Whey by Optimum Nutrition (1-2 times daily) and taking fish oil pills. I ran out of Mega Man sport vitamins but will pick up another bottle shortly.

I weigh about 240lbs right now and I am 30 years old at 5'10". As soon as I lose around 20 pounds I will start some weight lifting.

I LOVE RIDING!

There is a post about this, but:

I started riding a year ago, at 288lbs. I have ridden almost everyday for the last
year. Started at three or four miles a day and it almost killed me, or I thought it
did. I cut my food intake in half, cut out sodas and candy all together.

Today I am under 220lbs, Today I got up early and rode 56 miles in just under
four hours. I got home and had a nice breakfast. Cheese and crackers for lunch.
Smoked sausage sandwich for dinner, with Jello and a pickle.

I rode 12,002 miles last year. You just have to want to do it! You have to want
to do it every day. No matter how bad it hurts. Every thing else can be rescheduled.
It has to be the thing you must do. You have to ride every day! EVERY DAY!
DO YOU HEAR ME?? EVERY DAY!! I CAN NOT HEAR YOU!!!

I turned 65 in April BTW. Yesterday a police car had followed me for a mile or
so on the express way. At the intersection he pulled up on my left and rolled down
his window and asked how old I was, I told him 65, he relied, "I am impressed!"!
Made the whole year worth while.

You have to want to do it, then you have to do it!

Love your signature!

I love riding and I want to do it everyday, no matter how tired, how little time I have, if it isn't raining I am out on my bike!

I'm a 20 year old 5'10" 160 trying to drop some weight and I was drinking whey protein powder which I have cut out of my diet completely. Whey is around 160 calories for one scoop so cutting two scoops out a day will save you over 300 cals right there and you get plenty of protein from natural foods during the day. Try eating some lentils, and quinoa for protein; they are very low cal foods and very filling. Eating complex carbs 2 hours before your ride will give you energy for the ride and help your performance but it won't help your body burn fat because it will chose to burn the carbs first. I drink a lot of green tea to stay hydrated, probably 6 cups or more a day (supposedly it boosts your metabolism too). If you can ride in the morning on an empty stomach that will probably help to burn fat but i'm no expert. I also try to stay away from peanut butter unless i'm going on a 50 mile ride or something. Just try to eat no simple carbs, DO NOT DRINK CALORIES, low or no fat foods, count your calories, ride in the rain, and you will lose weight. I only eat shredded wheat cereal with skim milk for breakfast. I do mix in flax seed and raisins but that just adds cals. Plain rolled oats are good too. Take a can of beans (black beans are my favorite) and put them in a bowl you would rinse spaghetti in and run cold water over them to wash all of the sodium off, then put half the beans in a bowl with salsa or eat them plain; put the rest of the beans back in the original can (rinsed out), put plastic wrap over it, and store it in the fridge. This is a good little meal. Keep us posted and ask about meals or anything else if you have any questions. Hope this helped a little.

you're 160 at 5'10 and you want to lose weight? I am 5'10 and when I was 175 I was very thin, at that time I was very muscular and for 175 I had no more fat to lose lol. Currently I have 1 scoop of protein before my ride and I try to keep it at that. Whey has many benefits, yes the calories are a little up there, however, I just eat a little less. I am counting calories and trying to stay under 2000 per day. Yesterday, according to me computer, on my ride I burned 700 calories, which isn't half bad...

Quinoa is really good, lentils are OK, however, I am trying to keep my carb intake as low as possible and prefer my proteins come from Chicken, fish and Steak. I cut Soda completely out of my diet. No more Soda PERIOD!!! Only water and maybe some Pellegrino here and there. My diet consists of Coffee, Plain Whole grain rolled oats, Brown rice, chicken, fish, vegetables

I need to get more out of my rides. I am good for the first 30 minutes and then I barely pedal and really have to push myself for the last 30 minutes - which is a good thing but I would rather have a nice 60 minute ride and then push myself for the last 30 minutes.

I have ridden for a week already and dieted and already see some weight-loss in my face, my wife pointed it out to me. unfortunately my scale is broken so I can't get a poundage comparison yet, but will soon.

-Allen

Originally Posted by teamhonda15 .

I'm a 20 year old 5'10" 160 trying to drop some weight and I was drinking whey protein powder which I have cut out of my diet completely. Whey is around 160 calories for one scoop so cutting two scoops out a day will save you over 300 cals right there and you get plenty of protein from natural foods during the day. Try eating some lentils, and quinoa for protein; they are very low cal foods and very filling. Eating complex carbs 2 hours before your ride will give you energy for the ride and help your performance but it won't help your body burn fat because it will chose to burn the carbs first. I drink a lot of green tea to stay hydrated, probably 6 cups or more a day (supposedly it boosts your metabolism too). If you can ride in the morning on an empty stomach that will probably help to burn fat but i'm no expert. I also try to stay away from peanut butter unless i'm going on a 50 mile ride or something. Just try to eat no simple carbs, DO NOT DRINK CALORIES, low or no fat foods, count your calories, ride in the rain, and you will lose weight. I only eat shredded wheat cereal with skim milk for breakfast. I do mix in flax seed and raisins but that just adds cals. Plain rolled oats are good too. Take a can of beans (black beans are my favorite) and put them in a bowl you would rinse spaghetti in and run cold water over them to wash all of the sodium off, then put half the beans in a bowl with salsa or eat them plain; put the rest of the beans back in the original can (rinsed out), put plastic wrap over it, and store it in the fridge. This is a good little meal. Keep us posted and ask about meals or anything else if you have any questions. Hope this helped a little.

Originally Posted by Onetrade .

you're 160 at 5'10 and you want to lose weight? I am 5'10 and when I was 175 I was very thin, at that time I was very muscular and for 175 I had no more fat to lose lol. Currently I have 1 scoop of protein before my ride and I try to keep it at that. Whey has many benefits, yes the calories are a little up there, however, I just eat a little less. I am counting calories and trying to stay under 2000 per day. Yesterday, according to me computer, on my ride I burned 700 calories, which isn't half bad...

Quinoa is really good, lentils are OK, however, I am trying to keep my carb intake as low as possible and prefer my proteins come from Chicken, fish and Steak. I cut Soda completely out of my diet. No more Soda PERIOD!!! Only water and maybe some Pellegrino here and there. My diet consists of Coffee, Plain Whole grain rolled oats, Brown rice, chicken, fish, vegetables

I need to get more out of my rides. I am good for the first 30 minutes and then I barely pedal and really have to push myself for the last 30 minutes - which is a good thing but I would rather have a nice 60 minute ride and then push myself for the last 30 minutes.

I have ridden for a week already and dieted and already see some weight-loss in my face, my wife pointed it out to me. unfortunately my scale is broken so I can't get a poundage comparison yet, but will soon.

-Allen
Apparently soy based protein is better for before or during a ride and whey after.

If you're dying during a 60 minute ride then there's really only three basic things:

1. You're going way way too hard in the first 30 minutes.
2. You're eating nowhere near enough carbs and too much "foo-foo" stuff. A normal person should have enough glycogen stores to hammer at full gas for about 75 to 100 minutes.
3. Your position on the bike is completely off.

Sure, cut out the 'garbage' - like soda but you still need carbs. They're required. Your brain really doesn't like anything else and neither does your legs when you're going hard.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Apparently soy based protein is better for before or during a ride and whey after.

If you're dying during a 60 minute ride then there's really only three basic things:

1. You're going way way too hard in the first 30 minutes.
2. You're eating nowhere near enough carbs and too much "foo-foo" stuff. A normal person should have enough glycogen stores to hammer at full gas for about 75 to 100 minutes.
3. Your position on the bike is completely off.

Sure, cut out the 'garbage' - like soda but you still need carbs. They're required. Your brain really doesn't like anything else and neither does your legs when you're going hard.

I eat very clean now and have already started losing some weight. Keep in mind that I have only rode my bike about 10 times over several weeks and I just finished my first full week of going everyday. 20 years ago I could have rode at full power for 4 hours but NOW??? I am pooped after 20 minutes. My position on the bike is correct. It was fitted for me at the shop and adjusted accordingly. I am having one issue that I need help with...

MY JUNK IS KILLING ME!!!! (pardon my french) My grapes are pressing down on the seat and I have to rest them by standing up on my bike every few minutes. This is no good. My seat is perfectly level. Do I pitch it down? Will a new seat help?

I have good bicycle shorts and a soft seat (using the one that came on my Cannondale quick 6)

Someone help me figure this out please!

I'm going to guess that part of the discomfort is simply from weighing 240. However, saddle choice and bike position matter a lot too. If you want to be comfortable you should probably look into both of these. (Unfortunately they are very individual so I can't help much more than that.)

@onetrade; First off, be realistic. You have only ridden 10 times over several weeks, you are not going to get cycling fit in just a few weeks, you have to put in the saddle time to get 'saddle fit". I explained this a few weeks ago to someone else, but the position on the bike is more like you are perched there, balanced between your legs, seat and hands. Initially, you sit on the seat, hard, absorb pretty much every bump and rub there and your butt hurts. As you legs get fit, you carry more of your weight in your legs once they have the strength to manage the cadence and gearing to support your weight. This takes time, no shortcuts, unfortunately. I'm 5'10", weigh 172, and about 15% body fat and my butt hurt for many weeks while I put in the base miles necessary to get minimally fit. I found cycling classes at the gym helped immensely in getting fit quicker. I do 3x per week and ride on the off days and weekends. The key here, in addition to losing some weight is to keep your heart rate elevated to about 60-70% of your max.

On the saddle issue, I started out with a Fizik, which has a concave section in the middle. This caused me to ride forward on the nose of the saddle and caused quite a bit of pain and numbness. I would be careful of tipping your saddle forward. You will just brace with your hands slide forward and still have problems I went to a Selle Italia XC saddle with the cutout. A very flat saddle that I set dead level. The saddle made a lot of difference, the numbness went away.

My guess is that you are pushing too high (small sprocket in the back) a gear and turning the cranks too slowly. New riders frequently feel like they are really pedaling fast when they are doing 60 rpm. Find a fairly flat road and the smallest rear sprocket you can pedal at about 85-90 rpm and just ride. If you have been riding high gear low cadence, this will feel uncomfortable. You will likely run out of air before you run out of leg. When your do, recover for 5-10 min, until your HR drops some, and go at it again, and again, and again. I call these beginner intervals. You have to exercise your heart in order to build your aerobic endurance, The process of doing this will build leg strength, and amazingly, your butt won't hurt as much, your speed will be higher and your wont limp in the last 30 minutes. It is fun, it just feels like work.

To use me as an example of what you can accomplish, I bought my bike in December 2010 after a 35 year absence from cycling, so I was starting over. I weighed 191 lbs and couldn't ride for more that 35 or 40 minutes at about 13mph. I decided to get fit and get the most out of the bike I bought, so I started training myself for about 4 weeks and felt like I could ride for at least 20 miles and hold 14 - 15 mph. I found a local no drop ride and my first ever group ride was Jan 30. We rode 31 miles at an average of 15.6 mph and there were times I thought i was going to collapse, and boy did my butt hurt. The guys I rode with were all encouraging, they had all been there etc. so I continued my program of cycling classes and riding when I could. Every week was a little better, but the noticeable improvement kicked in about 3 or 4 weeks after 3x per week cycling classes started. I'm still a little faster each week. Four months later, I weigh 172, and can hold a 19.2mph average over 35 miles, 18.4 over 68 miles.And yes, my butt still hurts a little, but not nearly like it did at the beginning. It's all about how hard you want to push your limits each time you clip in. Set your goals and stick to your plan.

DAL

Does this mean that I have to lose weight in order to bike ride?
No, it means your legs have to get stronger to support your weight. Weight really doesn't factor in much unless you are climbing hills, then weight matters a lot. Once you get rolling, it about the power to overcome wind resistance.

One thing I forgot to mention is about the diet. I work with several personal trainers, and they preach a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs, protein and fat. I try do do this but simply can't get enough protein with out supplements. At my weight, I need about 150grams per day of protein; at yours, probably 200 gr/day is about right. I eat 5 300 calorie meals, breakfast, a protein shake, lunch, a protein shake, and dinner, trying to maintain the 40/40/20 ratio at the actual meals. Honestly, I seldom hit the 40/40/20, but get close most of the time, I like cheese, and lunch usually has cheese in some for, and the fat in cheese is generally high so that is my penalty.

Dal, great advice! Thanks!

I know it will take time to get fit and not over a day. My main problem is that I get tired, I am not out of breathe and my legs are not hurting, just weak during the last 30 minutes of my ride. Yesterday I was good for the first 30 minutes and pushed myself for the next 75 minutes with 1 break.

The main problem is my grapes are numb. My butt hurts but that is fine, my legs feel worn, but that is fine. My position is good but my grapes are pushed down. I will go to the shop and try out a few saddles and see if getting one with a thinner nose may help.

Like I have said before... I love cycling and will continue doing it forever. Making it to a cycling class isn't easy for me, but, hitting the pavement at 9am everyday is. I hope I can get fit without cycling classes, If I do not see progress in my endurance, I will have no choice but to go to a class.

My target maximum heart rate is 190. I try to keep my average heart rate over 130. Yesterdays average was 128 with 900 calories burned, 11.66 miles, with a trip time of 2:01:37, average speed was 10.05, max speed of 20.69. My cadence isn't working for some reason. Need to go to the shop and have them take a look.

I am shooting for much better results by weeks end.

I haven't yet taking a break from biking for over a week, should I take one? I have light days, 1 hour of biking, and then hard days, 2 hours of biking.

Ride every day! Take more breaks, thirty minutes is max you should ride with out stopping.
If you feel the least bit tired, stop for a minute. It is not a race to the finish, it is a journey to
a goal!

In a few months it will be totally different!

I did 42 miles in two and a half hours before breakfast this morning! You will be doing it one
of these days.

Instead of taking a day off the bike, take a easy ride around the neighborhood with the
computer off.

Dal, great advice! Thanks!

I know it will take time to get fit and not over a day. My main problem is that I get tired, I am not out of breathe and my legs are not hurting, just weak during the last 30 minutes of my ride. Yesterday I was good for the first 30 minutes and pushed myself for the next 75 minutes with 1 break.

The main problem is my grapes are numb. My butt hurts but that is fine, my legs feel worn, but that is fine. My position is good but my grapes are pushed down. I will go to the shop and try out a few saddles and see if getting one with a thinner nose may help.

Like I have said before... I love cycling and will continue doing it forever. Making it to a cycling class isn't easy for me, but, hitting the pavement at 9am everyday is. I hope I can get fit without cycling classes, If I do not see progress in my endurance, I will have no choice but to go to a class.

My target maximum heart rate is 190. I try to keep my average heart rate over 130. Yesterdays average was 128 with 900 calories burned, 11.66 miles, with a trip time of 2:01:37, average speed was 10.05, max speed of 20.69. My cadence isn't working for some reason. Need to go to the shop and have them take a look.

I am shooting for much better results by weeks end.

I haven't yet taking a break from biking for over a week, should I take one? I have light days, 1 hour of biking, and then hard days, 2 hours of biking.
@onetrade; You can certainly get fit without doing spin classes, they just helped me accelerate the process some. Regarding the numbness, I didn't get rid of that until I went to the XC saddle mentioned previously. If you are sitting for the entire hour or two, even the toughest among us will get numb. You have to get out of the saddle and stand, even if you just coast for a minute or so to let circulation gets going down there again.

Also, I think something is off with your bike computer - 11.7 miles in 2 hours is approx 5.7 mph. I'm sure you were not going 5.7mph, so maybe the time function didn't pause during your rest periods or if you stopped along the way. I don't know, but something is off. The calorie burn numbers look very high for the heart rate. Keep in mind that pro level riders burn around or slightly in excess of 1000 cal/hr working at 80% of max HR. Using the Livestrong site as a basis, cycling at 10-12mph burns between 350 and 450 cal per hour.

Now, and don't take this as criticism, but you are new to this. Cycling is an aerobic endurance sport, not especially a strength sport. If you are getting to the point where your legs are worn out in 30-60 minutes and you have to slow or rest, you are very likely pushing too hard a gear. Doing this will slow your aerobic development. Your legs may get stronger helping with other issues, but you won't have the aerobic capacity to keep using the new muscles much longer than you do now. For example, your could go to the gym and do leg presses until you could press 2-3x your body weight, but you would not be able to push the pedals for any longer than you can now, you might be faster than your are now over your current ride distances, but you won't be faster for longer, which is the goal. Do this on your next ride. find a gear that you can pedal at 85+ rpm and watch your heart rate. It should zoom past your current levels pretty quickly. To build your aerobic fitness you need to be working in the 60+% of max heart rate, or around 150 - 160. Pedal a big rear gear fast and getting to this level will be no problem. Cycle up to 150-160 until you have to recover, slow until your HR drops back to 120 or so and repeat for an hour. This is what they do in a cycling class with some heavy resistance (simulated climbing) thrown in just to make sure your are worn out. Don't focus on your speed or distance, just work you lungs. Like they say, if you can carry on a conversation you aren't training you are enjoying the scenery. Get that HR up and your gains will come faster. .

If you feel like riding every day, then ride every day.If your body is telling you it needs a rest, take a day off. No one is taking attendance.

DAL

The numbness is usually caused by pressure on the perineal(sp) artery, the main blood supply to the twigs and berries. A saddle with a thin nose may actually make this worse. Find the fitter at your LBS and explain in some detail what you are feeling (or not feeling as may be the case) and let him offer his advice. Your issues will not be news to him. Most LBS's have a saddle demo program to try and see what fits your anatomy the best. The saddles with the open or recessed center channel are designed specifically to aleviate the problem you are having.

DAL

DAL, all great advice, and something was up with my computer. This is my read out for this mornings ride:
Distance 9.79 Miles
Trip Time 1:05:53
Avg Speed 8.92
Max Speed 21.79

Not sure how the calories were counted, just wrote out what the computer says and my cadence was not working and then the cadence reader moved during the ride and snapped off altogether, took it to the shop this morning to get it fixed and going to get it re-installed tomorrow. I will try getting my heart rate up to 150-160 it will be difficult. I do my best to keep it over 130, with spurts of over 150. I will keep it at 150 for as long as I can and then take a break by riding easy and then pedal faster again.

I am not expecting to be able to do a 25 m ile ride in an hour tomorrow. I am looking for tips on making the best progress for my endurance and stamina without wasting away riding time and so far everyone has been so helpful.

My LBS does have a saddle fitting program that they told me about. I will talk to them about it tomorrow. I have $350 bike and don't really want to spend $200 on a seat. I was hoping to be able to upgrade my bike next year so i figured it would already come with a good seat, but I have no choice.

I need to take a break, my legs are murder, but I don't want to take a break. I want to keep riding. I will go out tomorrow and MAYBE take a break on Wednesday by doing some pushups at home. I feel great now! I love coming home dripping wet from an awesome bike ride.

I went to the park by my house last week, Prospect Park, but its mostly uphill and sooo tough for me! I can barely do 1 loop which is under 4 miles I believe. I rode my bike pedaling as best as I can at the highest gearing and i was DYING trying to make it up the hill while these pros aren't even breaking a sweat passing me at 20+mph barely pedaling. They make it look so easy and effortless. I am a 30 year old balding fat guy with his ass hanging off the saddle pedaling for dear life and can barely move a few feet lolololol.

You just have to keep riding! Don't over do it. Don't expect miracles.
It took me three months to even tell I was getting there. The first six
weeks were pure hell. My first eight mile ride to six hours.

PS:
I just looked back at my posts and it was about three months before
I did a 20 miler.

I need to take a break, my legs are murder, but I don't want to take a break. I want to keep riding. I will go out tomorrow and MAYBE take a break on Wednesday by doing some pushups at home. I feel great now! I love coming home dripping wet from an awesome bike ride.

Your body needs rest to repair all muscle micro tears. Take a day and ride just enough to loosen up, then stop and rest your legs a day. DO some pushups and some abdominal core work instead. This is what I meant when by saying if your body is telling you it needs to rest. Oh, and BTW, many of those passing you by started out like you. Keep at it and in time you can be riding with them if you want to. Saddles come in all price ranges and styles. Use the saddle demo program to figure out what you need and what works for you. Specialized has saddles much less than $200. Their romin model starts at about $85 I think for the basic model without the fancy carbon or titanium rails.

DAL