UK and Europe · Public discussion

new to discs - squeeky when wet !

Started by Steve Walton · · Last activity · 7 posts · 369 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 November 2004
Last activity
21 November 2004
Original author
Steve Walton
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
369
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
    First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,

    do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

    Steve

  2. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:40:28 GMT, [email hidden] (Steve

    Walton) said:

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,
    do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

    One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  3. you know? said:

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:40:28 GMT, [email hidden] (Steve

    Walton) said:

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,
    do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

    One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.


    cheers, I've been round the block and they are better
    now, after bikes been indoors a hour or so
    there is still a slight grip on the disc

    first experience of discs, so Im wary of removing pads just to check
    ie it shouldn't be necessary should it ?

    Steve

  4. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:25:11 GMT, [email hidden] (Steve

    Walton) said:
    Quoted message said:

    One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.

    Quoted message said:

    cheers, I've been round the block and they are better
    now, after bikes been indoors a hour or so
    there is still a slight grip on the disc

    Known in the motor trade as an "Italian tune-up" ;-)

    Well, sort of. That involves taking some old dear's prized possession
    out for a Grade 1 Novaboy thrash.

    Quoted message said:

    first experience of discs, so Im wary of removing pads just to check
    ie it shouldn't be necessary should it ?

    I don't take them out until they are knackered myself, but this may be
    poor practice.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Steve Walton

    (') said:

    Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
    First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,

    Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
    reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
    which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
    with methylated spirit does help a lot.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left

  6. Steve Walton vaguely muttered something like ...

    Quoted message said:

    Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
    First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,

    do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

    That can help .. 😉

    Best thing I found is to use a little Copper based anti-seize grease on the
    pad sliding areas and pins.

    Copaslip is good .. but use it very sparingly and don't get any on or near
    the braking surfaces. A small tin will last a lifetime .. 😉

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    "A [censored] is a [censored], no matter what mode of transport they're using."

  7. On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:35:07 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Steve Walton

    (') said:

    Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
    First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

    now they squeek !
    I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
    but they still squeek,

    Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
    reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
    which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
    with methylated spirit does help a lot.

    --


    cheers, I hammered them hard and they are better, had issue with the
    pads just gripping - better now they've dried.
    rear discs had the same brake dust-dirt on them that rims used to get
    so I'll try the meths..

    Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.