New to this

zapper, yea, your right, I had my prices wrong on the OCR's. I was thinking of the TCRs for prices. As far as the front derailur being 105, I dont really like the idea either, but looking at it, what does the front derailour do? It goes up and down, and has maybee, what, 3 moving parts? It doesnt really matter. Its a weight prefrence, and price. The rear is a different story. With something like 25 moving parts, that Ultegra does make a big deal over the 105.

I tell you what I dont like about that Trek 1200
DRIVETRAIN:
SHIFTERS: Shimano Tiagra
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra
CRANKSET: Bontrager Sport 52/42/30

Dont get this, its ****. The equivelant of the OCR 1 in Trek would be the $1,429 Trek 2100. The reason I'm stressing Giant is because its hard to screw up the fit, and its a screaming deal for the price. Remember. GIANT MAKES TREK'S FRAMES. So theres no way Trek is going to beat that price. If your willin to throw down $1,429 for the Trek, look at the Giant TCR's, their pretty nice. And I'm not trying to be a Giant pusher, I'm lookin out for you. I RIDE a TREK, its not like I have anything against them. The only real way to tell though is to try them out. If you've found a local bike shop that allows you to take them for a day, then you can actually put some miles on them to see if you like it, but I've only found that with the more expensive shops, and only one time at Mesa Cycles in STL.

Get any bike you like, but make sure it has at least an Ultegra rear derailur, and prefered Ultegra STI on it, I wouldnt settle for any less than that, but its your dough, and you have to pick what you can afford. The problem with this totally awsome sport, its addicting and hard on the wallet. Once you get the bike, you need to get bike shorts, and jerseys, shoes, helmet, glasses. And then you want MORE. MORE MORE MORE. You see another rider in their Castelli Y3Pro's and go oooooooo.... anyway, I'm getting off the point. If you want to discuss anything with me, you can find me on aol when I'm not training or sleeping, or going to college. aim: rompinrhino13

Good luck man. Pce

Originally posted by texastrack04
alright i am heading to bike shop tomorrow to try out some bikes. right now my main interest are the trek 1200 and giant ocr1 bc the upgradability. also i am reading a book on cycling(basically a beginners thing). if i am in good shape should i go with the harder workout they have provided or start out small? tell me what you think about the bikes! thanks

Good luck with your test riding...I AGREE with Rompinrhino, the 1200 isn't quite the bike that the Giant OCR1 is..That being said, don't limit yourself to just two bikes... Try out the 1200 then go one step above it to the 1500. Remember, the 1200 should go for about 740.00 or 750.00 and the 1500 around 999.99 or it that ball park. You might also want to try the LeMond line as well:

Tourmelet:
F. D. 105
R. D. Ultegra
Crank 105
Shifter 105 STI
1,040.00 or so...

Just as a side note: bs's around here have been offering the 1200 with Ultegra Rear Derailer for 749.00.

Specialized has a nice bike the Allez elite I believe its called and is similiarly equiped. Fuji Rubuaix, ditto. Perhaps you might even find a 2003 that fits you and you can get more for less....Just glad to see you go out and do some riding..I am curious as to what you end up with. Just go with what feels right and you can't go wrong. I recommend... ride the bikes you are interested in, narrow it down to a couple of choices and then go ride those two again and make your decision. Don't let anyone pressure you into taking a bike home today before you get to try all that is available to you.

This is an important purchase, take your time and enjoy the ride...

Good luck and let us know how your testing went...

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
[BThe reason I'm stressing Giant is because its hard to screw up the fit, and its a screaming deal for the priceQUOTE]

Rompinrhino, absolutely agree with your opinion of the 1200 and agree that the OCR1 is a great deal and it is a great bike for the money.

However, how does a product that comes in sm, med and large provide a more precise fit than bikes that come in 2cm increments? Are you implying there are fewer frame size choices thus less of a chance to screw up the fit? I'm not saying that I don't agree just curious as I've heard various opinions on the "relaxed geometry" of Giant and their one size fits all theory...

However, how does a product that comes in sm, med and large provide a more precise fit than bikes that come in 2cm increments? Are you implying there are fewer frame size choices thus less of a chance to screw up the fit? I'm not saying that I don't agree just curious as I've heard various opinions on the "relaxed geometry" of Giant and their one size fits all theory...

I'll tell you what I think, and a little bit of my own personal experience.

The reason I believe the compact is easier to size is simply because you can take a person, look at them and say, "your a large." or other size. Then you take and find a stem that works and the seatheight that works. When I bought my Trek, my measurments came out to a 58cm frame. The bike shop thought that I should get a 60, or a 61, I dont remember wich right now, so that I could grow into it. This worked and it didnt. :rolleyes: In a way, I fit on my bike, I'm not stretched out too bad, and my seat height is right, but the bike is still somewhat large for me, and I"m done growing. Theres not much I can do about it. From what I've seen with the compact geometry, its really easy to do. My friend is six foot four, and rides a large, I'm six even and I'd be riding a large. It's hard to screw up. You dont need to take acurate measurements to figure out the frame size, its easy. I've seen it done 4 times since I started working at the shop, and not once has someone complained about the frame being the wrong size. I guess to answer your question about precise fit, I think you can get a precise fit in any bike if you take the time, but if your growing, laying down money for a bike that you may outgrow can be a pain in the ****. If you purchase a universal fit frame, then even if you grow, your safe. :)

I tell you what I do like... The traditional geometry. I love being the only one around that rides anything thats not compact. It's a bit more bike, and it weighs more, but I feel special. :) When I lived in STL, everyone there is rich and was riding around on titanium, and now that I'm in CA, everyone in my local area rides Giant. I like their frames, and If I had the money, would get one, but I like how my bike rides, I just wish it was the right size.

wow I 've only been on this forum a couple of hours and thanks to you all I'm learning fast. My question is: What are the advantages/disadvantages of traditional v compact frames apart from the fit issue?:) (yep another newbie)

Originally posted by socalred
wow I 've only been on this forum a couple of hours and thanks to you all I'm learning fast. My question is: What are the advantages/disadvantages of traditional v compact frames apart from the fit issue?:) (yep another newbie)

Ok, just read through this thread and decided to add my $0.02. I wont get into brands but I believe bike choice comes down to gambling...

Choice 1 = bottom of the line racer (ie ocr3 ect) Heavy, sora gear blah blah.
Advantage = cost, alows you to try cycling without outlaying $1000's.
Disadvantge = weight and ride are HARSH. Sora gear is not the most durable, not really nice to ride. If you decide you like the sport you will want better not to far down the track.

Choise 2 = mid ranger (ie ocr1 ect)
Advantage = Lighter, smoother nicer ride. will last longer.
Disadvantage = higher price. If you dont like the sport you have spent more $$ than you needed. If you do get into it you may still want to go better. (on this, im not hot on upgrades, atleast over here...cheaper to buy better bike than upgrade the gear.)

Choise 3 = good Racer (ie trek 5500 or TCR2)
Advantage = All the bike you will EVER need unless you turn pro.... Smooth as silk, light as....this sort of bike allmost yells at you to come ride it.

Disadvantage = Just the $$$. if you dont like it you going to hate spending that sort of money.

As for compact frames....lighter, stiffer but harder to get one just right for you. (I was lucky)

I recently picked up a road bike at a shop on consignment, that's another option. I'm in the same general situation, and this provided me with the lbs help and advice, not to mention picking up a bike with almost no use that's already done a lot of it's depreciation.

Originally posted by zapper
I'm a newby too.. But, I've done a lot of research and have asked a few questions on this forum and have gathered some good info here. I started out looking at the LeMond Nevada city and the Trek 1000. Both bikes are close in value. The nevada city does have a carbon fork though. $519.00 for the trek and $569.00 for the LeMond. Keep in mind that both of these bikes as well as that OCR 3 sport Sora compenents. Which will cost you if you intend to upgrade later on. The best advice I can give you having been in your shoes very recently is to pass on what I feel is the single most valuable piece of advice I got from this forum. Ride, ride ride. I just took a few hours out of the day for a few days and visited every bs in my area and tried all brands above and below my price range.

What should I do if my town only has one LBS? I can drive about 75 miles to a larger town where there are many to choose from. Should I buy locally so they can maintain it and service it, or should I go to a larger city to buy it (might get better deal) and then have it serviced here in town?

Originally posted by buzzy
What should I do if my town only has one LBS? I can drive about 75 miles to a larger town where there are many to choose from. Should I buy locally so they can maintain it and service it, or should I go to a larger city to buy it (might get better deal) and then have it serviced here in town?

As a neebe I would go with the local store.....after you get addicted and learn more you can venture out more....

:)

Biff

Biff, that's what I was thinking. It's a small shop, but it's a starting place for a newbee.

Thanks!

wow it has been a long while since i have been on here. i never bought a bike because i had no one to ride with. recently i got one of my friends interested so we are gonna start riding. should i still get an ocr1 or should i look into one of the nicer TCR's??? tell me your opionions once again guys i value them much. thanks!

What kind of riding are you doing? If you are thinking about racing, you might want to consider the TCRs. If you just want to go long distances ie charity rides, the OCR would be fine.

i think i eventually wanna race. not to sure on if i will have the time to do it though. it is something i want to be aggressively a part of. i wanna bike that i could race with and do some serious training on.

texastrack04 said:
Hi my name is Jeff I just recently acquired an interest in riding. Can anyone help me with tips on what kind of bikes are good for a beginner, training...that sort of stuff. Right now I run track and am in pretty good shape. Thanks!:D

I have read most of the replies, and something is missing. Regardless of which TYPE of bike you decide on, make sure that a shop (LBS, Local Bike Shop) with a certified FITTER, makes sure that your bike is sized right, and FITTED to YOU. Not the best grammar, but your money will not be best spent on a bike that does not fit YOU.

Another question to throw in to the mix here....compact vs. standard vs. triathalon geometries....something to consider? Or irrelevent in this texastrack04's case?

alright well, i found a 03' ocr3 for $880. is that a good price? also, i wasnt sure but are the pedals clipless or no? if so what shoes are a good buy? thanks for your help guys, like i said i am a newb but i wanna get started ASAP!