"The Pomeranian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Wayne T said:
"David Ornee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:Dura-Ace is lighter, but will it be better for your application? What is the rear drop out
spacing?Having it spread out from 125 to 135.
If you are going to 135 mm just forget the road hubs and buy MTB hubs since they are "ready" for
135 mm right off the shelf and have little rubber booties built in. XTR is great quality and XT or
LX are nice enough and will probably pass just fine for touring duty too.
Since this is currently my only bike, would the MTB hubs be suited for fast club rides. Are would
the DA's be better all round for both fast rides and touring?
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Will you really be "loaded touring" with these wheels? (Mavic Open Pro may be too light)
Yes, will be doing some loaded touring. My wife only weights 107. Her Mavic's will be 36 hole
with X-tra lite double butted stainless spokes.
I
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:weigh 177 but I just checked and I am getting a Mavic 520 touring rim 36 hole and regular double
butted spokes.520's should be fine. Don't worry about weight for a touring bike. Get something you think will be
reliable. You don't want to mess with the bike when you are trying to breathe the air and see the
sites. Personally, I wouldn't feel bad or worry about LX quality when it comes to reliability. But
if you have the cash, there's not much reason to hold back from buying top-of-the-line.Bontrager Fairlanes are available @ 36h/700c (from Rivendell),
Are these faster lighter wheels? I take it since they are 36h, that they are appropriate for
heavy touring.
but have
Quoted message said:only single eyelets, IIRC. The rear Fairlane is OCR, which I think is an idea that makes sense if
it can be well implemented. The Fairlane's single eyelets probably isn't a huge deal in practice
because they have a lot of aluminum. The 520 rear is not OCR and I think it is anodized; anodizing
is a dubious concept -- Mavic claims it prevents corrosion, but I think it probably causes at
least as many problems as it allegedly solves (Al forms a thin protective oxide layer all by
itself anyway). I do believe the 520 has double eyelets, which is good. Maybe you can find the 519
rim (for some reason I feel like I remember that the 519 was not anodized).Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Please describe more of your intended use. What is your shifting requirements? (number of
speeds, shifters, deraileurs)Triple crank, perhaps a 44-32-22. 9 speed rear 12-34.
Quoted message said:What width tires will you be using?
700X32c
Sounds fine. The Pasela is available in 35c too, I think.