Road Cycling · Public discussion

New use for bike racks.

Started by Bill Baka · · Last activity · 19 posts · 607 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
10 September 2006
Last activity
14 September 2006
Original author
Bill Baka
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
607
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have my metal Fred racks on the back of my bike and took a mountain
    ride today out of boredom. Coming back down hill, not the really big
    hill but a smaller one where I usually get a 30 MPH free ride.
    Today I tried something different, inspired by a guy in the 40's trying
    to set a speed record of 150 MPH on a Vincent motorcycle. I put my feet
    up off the pedals and rested them on the rack over the back tire and put
    chin to the handlebar stem. My usual 30 MPH turned into a 39.3 MPH
    recorded maximum. The only drawback is that most of my weight was now on
    my arms and it was a real strain to hold that position for long so I had
    to give up and sit up before the steepest part.

    Time to start doing lots of push ups again. If I try that up where I hit
    50 I might hit 60 or more, but it is harder to control the bike. Road
    rash is not my favorite thing since I have lost 2 weeks work to it after
    crashing a motorcycle in 1976, on July 4th no less.

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    It was a rush though.

    Bill (not totally sane) Baka

  2. I will bite. You should use a recubment with a fiberglass shell if you
    are serious.

  3. Quoted message said:

    I will bite. You should use a recubment with a fiberglass shell if you
    are serious.


    But, but, my other bikes would have to live outside. On some of these
    hills I can imagine hitting terminal velocities of 70-80-maybe even 90
    MPH. That would be choice to get a ticket for doing 80 down a hill on a
    non-motor vehicle on a regular highway.
    Don't give me any ideas, I might bite.
    Bill Baka

  4. Bill Baka said:

    I have my metal Fred racks on the back of my bike and took a mountain
    ride today out of boredom. Coming back down hill, not the really big
    hill but a smaller one where I usually get a 30 MPH free ride.
    Today I tried something different, inspired by a guy in the 40's trying
    to set a speed record of 150 MPH on a Vincent motorcycle. I put my feet
    up off the pedals and rested them on the rack over the back tire and put
    chin to the handlebar stem. My usual 30 MPH turned into a 39.3 MPH
    recorded maximum. The only drawback is that most of my weight was now on
    my arms and it was a real strain to hold that position for long so I had
    to give up and sit up before the steepest part.

    Time to start doing lots of push ups again. If I try that up where I hit
    50 I might hit 60 or more, but it is harder to control the bike. Road
    rash is not my favorite thing since I have lost 2 weeks work to it after
    crashing a motorcycle in 1976, on July 4th no less.

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    It was a rush though.

    Bill (not totally sane) Baka

    My 6 year old son does that sometimes. He calls it the "Superman" and I
    believe it was inspired by those crazies who do free-style motorcross.

    Sure it's fun and fast, but if you get a wobble, you're doomed. Not
    having your legs for stability, the bike just starts doing a slalom
    back and forth under you until you crash. I've seen him do it several
    times.

    Joseph

  5. Bill Baka said:

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    I wouldn't do it because of the potential for a death wobble (which
    could happen to a bike that never wobbles if you sideswipe a small
    rock with the front tire, for example). But I remember doing the same
    thing on my first motorcycle (a 125cc Kawasaki). I could get it to
    70.00000 mph by laying flat on the saddle/tank with my feet straight
    out the back, several mph above its "normal" terminal velocity.

    And yes, I realize that by riding it like that I was trying to
    reinvent the term "terminal velocity"... ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  6. Bill Baka said:


    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    I usually do this when I'm headed down Eastgate way (a fairly steep
    hill) on my fixie. At more than 33 mph it's easier to clip out than to
    maintain pedaling at greater than 160 rpm. [1] I know plenty of other
    fixie riders here in Seattle who do the same.

    The bad part about doing it on a fixie is you're not able to get your
    feet back into the pedals until the rpm drops again.

    I think the danger aspect is rather overblown. However, I don't
    recommend doing this on a fixie unless you have a lot of faith in your
    brakes setup.

    [1] My fixie is only running 67 gear inches.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    ``Also, whenever a programmer thinks, "Hey, skins, what a cool idea",
    their computer's speakers should create some sort of [censored]-shaped
    soundwave and plunge it repeatedly through their skulls.'' -- Makali

  7. Dane Buson said:
    Bill Baka said:


    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    I usually do this when I'm headed down Eastgate way (a fairly steep
    hill) on my fixie. At more than 33 mph it's easier to clip out than to
    maintain pedaling at greater than 160 rpm. [1] I know plenty of other
    fixie riders here in Seattle who do the same.

    Back when I used to be stupid, I put my feet on the down-tube where the
    shifters would have been had it been a road bike. I never had wobble
    problems, perhaps due to the somewhat normal weight distribution from
    the feet on the down-tube position. You stick your feet out the back?

    Quoted message said:


    The bad part about doing it on a fixie is you're not able to get your
    feet back into the pedals until the rpm drops again.

    I think the danger aspect is rather overblown. However, I don't
    recommend doing this on a fixie unless you have a lot of faith in your
    brakes setup.

    So you mean something a little more predictable than putting your
    sneaker on the front tire?

    Joseph

  8. Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:

    I have my metal Fred racks on the back of my bike and took a mountain
    ride today out of boredom. Coming back down hill, not the really big
    hill but a smaller one where I usually get a 30 MPH free ride.
    Today I tried something different, inspired by a guy in the 40's trying
    to set a speed record of 150 MPH on a Vincent motorcycle. I put my feet
    up off the pedals and rested them on the rack over the back tire and put
    chin to the handlebar stem. My usual 30 MPH turned into a 39.3 MPH
    recorded maximum. The only drawback is that most of my weight was now on
    my arms and it was a real strain to hold that position for long so I had
    to give up and sit up before the steepest part.

    Time to start doing lots of push ups again. If I try that up where I hit
    50 I might hit 60 or more, but it is harder to control the bike. Road
    rash is not my favorite thing since I have lost 2 weeks work to it after
    crashing a motorcycle in 1976, on July 4th no less.

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    It was a rush though.

    Bill (not totally sane) Baka

    My 6 year old son does that sometimes. He calls it the "Superman" and I
    believe it was inspired by those crazies who do free-style motorcross.

    Your 6 year old? I have seen those 'Supercross' events and what they
    don't tell you is how many kids mangle themselves before ever getting a
    television shot. Even the experienced ones admit to having broken dozens
    of bones crashing before they got it right.

    Quoted message said:


    Sure it's fun and fast, but if you get a wobble, you're doomed. Not
    having your legs for stability, the bike just starts doing a slalom
    back and forth under you until you crash. I've seen him do it several
    times.

    Yup,
    I noticed that at about 40 MPH so I am rethinking the try for 70 thing.
    Bill Baka

    Quoted message said:


    Joseph

  9. Mark Hickey said:
    Bill Baka said:

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    I wouldn't do it because of the potential for a death wobble (which
    could happen to a bike that never wobbles if you sideswipe a small
    rock with the front tire, for example). But I remember doing the same
    thing on my first motorcycle (a 125cc Kawasaki). I could get it to
    70.00000 mph by laying flat on the saddle/tank with my feet straight
    out the back, several mph above its "normal" terminal velocity.

    And yes, I realize that by riding it like that I was trying to
    reinvent the term "terminal velocity"... ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

    You are correct, since I did notice more instability as I went faster.
    There was also the strain on my arms holding up a much larger part of my
    body mass in an awkward position. I had a 100cc Yamaha that got stolen
    and trashed (caught the kid ripping things off to make a dirt bike), and
    a 100cc Kawasaki, both of which maxed out at about 62 MPH. They were
    doing such high RPM that I think 70 MPH would have exploded the motors.
    I guess I could save my money and buy a Buell to go fast and American.
    Bill Baka

  10. Dane Buson said:
    Bill Baka said:

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    I usually do this when I'm headed down Eastgate way (a fairly steep
    hill) on my fixie. At more than 33 mph it's easier to clip out than to
    maintain pedaling at greater than 160 rpm. [1] I know plenty of other
    fixie riders here in Seattle who do the same.

    The bad part about doing it on a fixie is you're not able to get your
    feet back into the pedals until the rpm drops again.

    I think the danger aspect is rather overblown. However, I don't
    recommend doing this on a fixie unless you have a lot of faith in your
    brakes setup.

    [1] My fixie is only running 67 gear inches.


    I do agree that trying to pedal 160 RPM is a bit much since I can't put
    out any real power over about 130 RPM. I would have thought the fixie
    riders would just unclip rather than put their feet on a rack in back.
    You really can't do it without a rack or your feet would just rub the
    tire and probably make you crash.
    It is nice to know that I am not the only nutty rider.
    Bill Baka

  11. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:
    Bill Baka said:

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.


    I usually do this when I'm headed down Eastgate way (a fairly steep
    hill) on my fixie. At more than 33 mph it's easier to clip out than to
    maintain pedaling at greater than 160 rpm. [1] I know plenty of other
    fixie riders here in Seattle who do the same.

    Back when I used to be stupid, I put my feet on the down-tube where the
    shifters would have been had it been a road bike. I never had wobble
    problems, perhaps due to the somewhat normal weight distribution from
    the feet on the down-tube position. You stick your feet out the back?

    Yes,
    I stuck my feet out the back and rested them on the saddle rack I had on
    the bike. Dane didn't mention doing exactly that, but the weight
    distribution takes more out of the arms than I thought.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The bad part about doing it on a fixie is you're not able to get your
    feet back into the pedals until the rpm drops again.

    I think the danger aspect is rather overblown. However, I don't
    recommend doing this on a fixie unless you have a lot of faith in your
    brakes setup.

    So you mean something a little more predictable than putting your
    sneaker on the front tire?

    Sneaker on the rear works good as an emergency brake for me. I haven't
    tried the front tire yet.
    Bill Baka

    Quoted message said:

    Joseph

  12. Bill Baka said:

    You are correct, since I did notice more instability as I went faster.
    There was also the strain on my arms holding up a much larger part of my
    body mass in an awkward position. I had a 100cc Yamaha that got stolen
    and trashed (caught the kid ripping things off to make a dirt bike), and
    a 100cc Kawasaki, both of which maxed out at about 62 MPH. They were
    doing such high RPM that I think 70 MPH would have exploded the motors.
    I guess I could save my money and buy a Buell to go fast and American.

    I once stopped by the side of the road to see what was wrong with a
    young french fellow who was busy taking the head off his small
    two-stroke. He said it had "just stopped". It was quite a small
    engine - 100 or 125 cc, I think; one of those funny looking Hondas (?)
    with the fuel in a large tube that was also the main frame spar.

    When we saw the piston there was a hole the size of a old penny -
    almost the whole crown was melted away. He'd been drafting the
    lorries to keep his speed up; worked for a while, I suppose.

  13. To Bill Baka:

    If I ever managed to get a ticket for going 90 mph on my bike, I'de have
    it framed (the ticket, not the bike! LOL).

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  14. Chris Z The Wheelman said:

    To Bill Baka:

    If I ever managed to get a ticket for going 90 mph on my bike, I'de have
    it framed (the ticket, not the bike! LOL).

    That's what I meant about getting the ticket. It would make one hell of
    a conversation piece. I would pay the fine with a grin.
    Bill Baka

    Quoted message said:


    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  15. Bill Baka said:
    Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:

    I have my metal Fred racks on the back of my bike and took a mountain
    ride today out of boredom. Coming back down hill, not the really big
    hill but a smaller one where I usually get a 30 MPH free ride.
    Today I tried something different, inspired by a guy in the 40's trying
    to set a speed record of 150 MPH on a Vincent motorcycle. I put my feet
    up off the pedals and rested them on the rack over the back tire and put
    chin to the handlebar stem. My usual 30 MPH turned into a 39.3 MPH
    recorded maximum. The only drawback is that most of my weight was now on
    my arms and it was a real strain to hold that position for long so I had
    to give up and sit up before the steepest part.

    Time to start doing lots of push ups again. If I try that up where I hit
    50 I might hit 60 or more, but it is harder to control the bike. Road
    rash is not my favorite thing since I have lost 2 weeks work to it after
    crashing a motorcycle in 1976, on July 4th no less.

    Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    Brickhead calls planet Baka.

    It was a rush though.

    Bill (not totally sane) Baka

    My 6 year old son does that sometimes. He calls it the "Superman" and I
    believe it was inspired by those crazies who do free-style motorcross.

    Your 6 year old? I have seen those 'Supercross' events and what they
    don't tell you is how many kids mangle themselves before ever getting a
    television shot. Even the experienced ones admit to having broken dozens
    of bones crashing before they got it right.

    When he was born, my wife and I decided he could be anything he wanted
    to be except an accountant or a motorcycle racer. I've tried to keep
    him from seeing free-style motorcross, but it was a lost cause, as it
    is just too cool. I'm not too worried though. Even at 6 he has a pretty
    good handle on what is safe and what is not. He wanted to be an
    astronaut until he saw a video of the Columbia. Now he wants to work at
    Ground Control. It seems most of the FMX guys don't even bother with
    pads. Lost cause I guess.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sure it's fun and fast, but if you get a wobble, you're doomed. Not
    having your legs for stability, the bike just starts doing a slalom
    back and forth under you until you crash. I've seen him do it several
    times.

    Yup,
    I noticed that at about 40 MPH so I am rethinking the try for 70 thing.
    Bill Baka

    Maybe lying down on a skateboard or some other low CG way is what you
    need for your quest for 70 MPH!

    Joseph

  16. Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dane Buson said:


    I usually do this when I'm headed down Eastgate way (a fairly steep
    hill) on my fixie. At more than 33 mph it's easier to clip out than to
    maintain pedaling at greater than 160 rpm. [1] I know plenty of other
    fixie riders here in Seattle who do the same.

    Back when I used to be stupid, I put my feet on the down-tube where the
    shifters would have been had it been a road bike. I never had wobble
    problems, perhaps due to the somewhat normal weight distribution from
    the feet on the down-tube position. You stick your feet out the back?

    I have a Carradice SQR bag, so I sort of tuck them under it. It's not
    uncomfortable to do it for a couple minutes. I don't think it would be
    suitable for a couple miles of downhill. But before I did that sort of
    thing, I think I'd get around to get a freewheel for the other side of
    the hub.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The bad part about doing it on a fixie is you're not able to get your
    feet back into the pedals until the rpm drops again.

    I think the danger aspect is rather overblown. However, I don't
    recommend doing this on a fixie unless you have a lot of faith in your
    brakes setup.

    So you mean something a little more predictable than putting your
    sneaker on the front tire?

    Well, there's always plan B: slowing via skin friction.

    I never said it was a *good* alternate plan.

    I thought the whole fixie deal was, "Go Around".
    ;-)

    Joseph

  17. Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I have my metal Fred racks on the back of my bike and took a mountain
    > ride today out of boredom. Coming back down hill, not the really big
    > hill but a smaller one where I usually get a 30 MPH free ride.
    > Today I tried something different, inspired by a guy in the 40's trying
    > to set a speed record of 150 MPH on a Vincent motorcycle. I put my feet
    > up off the pedals and rested them on the rack over the back tire and put
    > chin to the handlebar stem. My usual 30 MPH turned into a 39.3 MPH
    > recorded maximum. The only drawback is that most of my weight was now on
    > my arms and it was a real strain to hold that position for long so I had
    > to give up and sit up before the steepest part.
    >
    > Time to start doing lots of push ups again. If I try that up where I hit
    > 50 I might hit 60 or more, but it is harder to control the bike. Road
    > rash is not my favorite thing since I have lost 2 weeks work to it after
    > crashing a motorcycle in 1976, on July 4th no less.
    >
    > Maybe some of the braver (more insane) riders might try it and post
    > back. I just don't want anybody getting killed doing what I do on what
    > Brickhead calls planet Baka.
    >
    > It was a rush though.
    >
    > Bill (not totally sane) Baka
    My 6 year old son does that sometimes. He calls it the "Superman" and I
    believe it was inspired by those crazies who do free-style motorcross.


    Your 6 year old? I have seen those 'Supercross' events and what they
    don't tell you is how many kids mangle themselves before ever getting a
    television shot. Even the experienced ones admit to having broken dozens
    of bones crashing before they got it right.

    When he was born, my wife and I decided he could be anything he wanted
    to be except an accountant or a motorcycle racer. I've tried to keep
    him from seeing free-style motorcross, but it was a lost cause, as it
    is just too cool. I'm not too worried though. Even at 6 he has a pretty
    good handle on what is safe and what is not. He wanted to be an
    astronaut until he saw a video of the Columbia. Now he wants to work at
    Ground Control. It seems most of the FMX guys don't even bother with
    pads. Lost cause I guess.

    Sounds like my youth, err, me even now. I like to race a motorcycle on a
    flat dirt oval where I can (still) throttle the rear wheel out. That is
    fun and on the ground so a wipe out mostly means a face full of dust
    rather than a fall from 30 feet up at 50 MPH.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sure it's fun and fast, but if you get a wobble, you're doomed. Not
    having your legs for stability, the bike just starts doing a slalom
    back and forth under you until you crash. I've seen him do it several
    times.


    Yup,
    I noticed that at about 40 MPH so I am rethinking the try for 70 thing.
    Bill Baka

    Maybe lying down on a skateboard or some other low CG way is what you
    need for your quest for 70 MPH!

    Joseph


    I tried surfing when I was a teenager and it was the cool thing to do,
    but alas I never had the sense of balance for that or a skateboard.
    Bill Baka

  18. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:


    So you mean something a little more predictable than putting your
    sneaker on the front tire?

    Well, there's always plan B: slowing via skin friction.

    I never said it was a *good* alternate plan.

    I thought the whole fixie deal was, "Go Around".
    ;-)

    Heh, I live on a hill and work on a hill. In between those is two
    bridges and lots of little hills. So, not too many options for "Go
    Around".

    Still, it could always be worse. I could still live in Cincinnati.
    *shudder*

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    Live never to be ashamed if anything you do or say is
    published around the world -- even if what is published is not true.
    -- Messiah's Handbook : Reminders for the Advanced Soul

  19. Quoted message said:

    My 6 year old son does that sometimes. He calls it the "Superman" and I
    believe it was inspired by those crazies who do free-style motorcross.

    Are you sure he hasn't been watching the discovery channel? Back when I
    had TV, I watched a show about land speed records. They featured film
    of Rollie Free on his Vincent setting a land speed record of 150mph. He
    rode in the Superman position wearing nothing but shoes, a pair of
    skivvies, and a bathing cap. Here's a picture:

    http://myvincent.co.uk/rfree.php

    -Buck

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.