Cycling Training · Public discussion

New Year...Someone may as well start this thread.

Started by jsirabella · · Last activity · 9 posts · 654 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
1 January 2013
Last activity
2 January 2013
Original author
jsirabella
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
654
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Every forum has one of these so why not this one. I no longer really have goals of racing or even doing the Central Park morning jaunts, actually my goals have become pretty simple. I would like to do the Gran Fondo again and just get my energy back and loose some weight. With the end crazy goal of doing NYC to Belleville a few times a week on the bike. I did it once and it was like a worse hell than the GranFondo. It seems I have to ride the ridge between NY and NJ the whole way.

    2012 was all about career and I see 2013 to be pretty much the same but this time I am going to fit in the cycling and put a big slow down on all the [censored] I eat. My studio moved to Belleville, NJ as I took an floor in pretty much an abandon factory and re-built it. It was a fun but NJ really is not about people on diets. The dinners, the pizza, the food in general is all about blue collar in that area. When you buy a sandwich, you get a SANDWICH that can feed a family. It really took its toll on me not from the idea of pounds as only gained 10 but from the standpoint of energy. So I started a detox with getting rid of all the [censored] and putting in the veggies, fruit and juices. Anyway I want to go back to my 2-3 hour jaunts on the cycle but honestly I have been ok but I really feel much more dead than usual by 90 minutes in so hoping a diet change can help.

    One of my big questions is what can I put in my body in the morning that is still considered "detox" meaning no breads and grains, cereals or just about everything you can eat for breakfast since I am an early morning guy! Is oatmeal or cream of wheat ok? I may not go cream of wheat cause too much iron and I got enough issues there already. Suggestions?

    Next the factory is basically a freezer meaning I got the heaters but the place has no installation. The old walls have been replaced with new cement walls but they are frozen and create a freezer in the area I ride. When I turn on the heat I than sweat like a dog, when I turn it off I freeze my ass off. Can not figure out the right clothing and temp I should try and get the place as the thermostat on the the giant heater fan just does not seem right.

    Last my ftp based upon my latest runs has been 210. I was at a high about 240 when I was trying to get back to 260 with the whole getting past the back issues being my goal but I want to go back to the 20 minute and better intervals combined with back to the 2-3 hour jaunts.

    Man that is a long post and hope half of it makes sense. Nice ti post again and hope all you folks are enjoy the holidays.

    -js

  2. Welcome back js and hope to see you get in the groove again.

    I know what you mean about career/work. I was fortunate for 2012 to have the balance of being employed and yet not working overtime. That allowed me to train consistently, but my first quarter I have a few tight deadlines that starting tomorrow I will probably not be posting much and hoping to still train on a consistent basis.

    Best wishes on getting the diet and heating / cooling worked out.

    Oatmeal is pretty much my breakfast and weekend pre-ride meal. I typically pack a cooler to take to work each day loaded with several small meals. I have been doing that for almost 30 years. On Sunday I try to cook several pounds of chicken breast to use through the week. Each night I spend about an hour getting everything ready for the next day and pack the cooler that morning. I have been doing this so long that it is just part of the daily routine.

  3. felt->Been a while but great to see the post. Glad to hear the training went well in 2012. Old Habits break hard especially for the weight trainer in you. I am sure you are in great shape as always.

    Any goals set for 2013? Big rides ahead?

    -js

  4. No specific events for 2012 or planning for 2013. I just need a lot more hours of training.

    I would like to try to accomplish a sub 5 hour solo century in 2013, but I feel like I am still a bit underpowered. I will just keep working on getting some more hours on my legs and see if I can keep my training consistent during these work deadlines.

  5. Felt, you don't need a heap of power to do a sub 5 century if you have decent aerodynamics and favorable conditions. Perhaps cherry pick a course with a tailwind for the duration - that is how I did my first one. It'll give you a feel for the pacing required to achieve it.

    My goals for the year are to get a bit faster. I would like to shave a few minutes off my bike split in the one triathlon I participate in. I would also like to do a few more long solo rides for the year.

  6. Things I will do in 2013: Continue to slowly but surely improve diet (perhaps up the pace of removing some of the [censored] I eat), stay hydrated (I'm terrible I can do 4 hr rides on one bottle of water and then not drink anything else all day it really is a wonder I'm not dead yet), eat on the bike before I feel like I'm about to bonk, keep my steady rides steady and increase the effort on my long rides from slow to steady.

  7. I do oatmeal, honey, and almonds as my main breakfast. The way I train I have to have a pre-ride and post-ride snack. This a.m I did two pieces of dry toast and a touch of honey and felt pretty good, I always do protein after my rides. A good alternative to the homemade oatmeal is Quaker weight control instant, I did that for a while. My fitness pal is a great app for tracking your intake. Welcome back!

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by jsirabella [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    One of my big questions is what can I put in my body in the morning that is still considered "detox" meaning no breads and grains, cereals or just about everything you can eat for breakfast since I am an early morning guy! Is oatmeal or cream of wheat ok? I may not go cream of wheat cause too much iron and I got enough issues there already. Suggestions?

    1) Get a copy of "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald.
    2) Go to Myfitnesspal.com and open an account. It's free.
    3) Unless you are lactose intolerant, yogurt is your friend.
    Good luck

  9. Hey guys,

    BG takes for for the welcome and good to see your post. I was lurking and you are doing some amazing numbers. For the past two days I was doing a light detox which is not straight up no meat at all but all greens, green drinks, smoothies and the nuts during the days to satisfy the craves. The good news was that today I did quaker oatmeal and a sliced banana and it did me well. I think the combo of the light detox and the meal did me good. I just would like a little pick me up other than a glass of water! They say no coffee, black tea and only green tea or lemon water. I really wanted some caffeine bad but once I got 30 minutes in, I woke up.

    I did not feel crazy beat by 90 minutes in and did a solid 2 hours with 2 x 25@180 and 2x10@190. I am happy with that. The bigger test will be if tomorrow will be as nice to me.

    bg, I was big on dry toast but they want no breads so I switch to oatmeal and they are ok with honey so I will go with that. Ofcourse they want all organic, good luck on my budget of time and $$$$.

    joro, I could not imagine going that long without any liquids but I do notice that outdoors I need much less while indoors I am craving it!

    maxroad, I will check out the site and see about the book. I really want to get back to 170 as now I am ~182 depending on when you weigh me and most important get rid of the heavy feeling you get when eating that [censored] for too long. I love a good greek yogurt but they kind of only want you to drink like almond milk.

    The funny thing about all this detox and eating better is "high on the calories". You really are not like on a "diet", you are really just eating better. Lets see what that will do in terms of the weight besides the feeling.

    -js

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.