Road Cycling · Public discussion

New York Times article bashing OLN coverage.

Started by Tracy · · Last activity · 14 posts · 977 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 July 2003
Last activity
11 July 2003
Original author
Tracy
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
977
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul (he
    called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no idea if it'll be published (I
    suspect not):

    To the editor:

    Richard Sandomir ("Two Calls as Different as Cycling and Tennis," July 8, 2003) might consider
    learning a bit more about cycling before complaining about the commentating. I've never once had
    anybody jump to my aid when Monday Night Football commentators fail to explain how many points a
    touchdown is, or why that guy in the end zone just put his knee down. And why not? Because it wastes
    the time of football fans, all of whom likely know the basic rules of the game before deciding to
    tune in. So I don't watch Monday Night Football, but up until OLN took over the Tour, I didn't have
    a sports show for me, the cycling enthusiast.

    Cyclists have, for years, tolerated terrible Tour coverage by ABC and ESPN, whose 30 minute daily
    Tour broadcasts consisted of 11 minutes of panoramic displays of the French countryside and the
    history of the stage start and end towns, nine minutes of human-interest background discussion on
    one of the foreign cyclists and his family so the average American viewer could connect with the
    outcome, and then, perhaps, two minutes of actual racing. The only way to get access to the smart
    commentary coming out of Europe was if some nice cyclist in England would point his webcam at his
    TV. I'm not the only cyclist who has literally watched hours of Tour de France coverage squinting at
    five second still-frame captures with no audio on the web. But now, a network has finally realized
    that what cyclists want is competent, insightful discussion by the world's most familiar English
    speaking cycling commentator, Phil Liggett, who is assisted wonderfully by his longtime co-host
    Paul, not Jeff, Sherwen. Besides, Bob Roll, the color commentator, has been spending time explaining
    the basics to his not-so-cycling-savvy co-commentator anyway (whose only role seems to be to ask Bob
    set-up softball tactical questions.) Today, Bob explained echelons and pelotons. I hope Mr. Sandomir
    was watching.

    My suggestion to Mr. Sandomir: Either watch and enjoy, learning as you go, or learn first, then
    watch and enjoy, but don't suggest that cycling fans sit through basic explanations of the rules
    when they'd rather Phil and Paul spend the time telling us more details from their vast collective
    knowledge of cycling.

  2. tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html


    Well, if he'd watch the whole damn race, he'd figure out what's going on. How hard is it to figure
    out how people join a sprint? Moreover, the announcers will tell you (at least they did for the
    Giro) why there are sprinters, climbers, and overall leaders. They'll tell you when a person is on
    someone's wheel and why.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  3. [email hidden] (tracy) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!

    I think by "basic" and "catering to cycling enthusiast", he meant that they don't have 3/4 of the
    show devoted to such fascinating topics as berets, wine, brie, and all the other fluff that filled
    TDF shows pre-OLN. The [censored] actually have the nerve to show racing!

    They probably just let this Sandomir clown write as a counterpoint to Abt.

    NS

  4. Your comparison with football is a good one, although football is so mainstream that it's obvious
    why the announcers don't waste time explaining the basics of the sport. A better comparison might be
    with Formula 1 auto racing, where the announcers don't talk down to the viewers- instead they assume
    a fair amount of knowledge on the part of the viewer with regards to the technology of the cars, the
    rules, the teams, etc. F1 fans would no doubt be furious if the announcers assumed no knowledge of
    the sport and spoke to the audience as if they were all first time viewers.

  5. tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no idea if it'll be published (I
    suspect not):

    To the editor:

    Yeah, just about what you said. I've noticed an effort on OLN's part to provide more background info
    during the coverage. They've dumbed down the commentary a tad this time around. That's not good
    enough for the ignorant AND impatient. If these new viewers are anything like me, they'll be even
    more curious to find out what all these words and questions mean, and continue watching. I don't
    think OLN should try all that hard to hook those impatient enough to give up watching just because
    every question isn't answered.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  6. Tele-prompter assistance WOULD be slick, but please, not live. Far too messy and dynamic to try it
    live. I think it requires a substantial hidden broadcast infrastructure, so maybe next year Bobke
    can do some quickie replays.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  7. Quoted message said:

    To the editor:

    Nice letter, well put. Maybe the Times will hire you, I hear they are looking for smart young
    writers. Greg

  8. [email hidden] (tracy) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no idea if it'll be published (I
    suspect not):

    Here's mine.

    Subject: Did Richard Sandomir actually watch OLN's Tour coverage? To: [email hidden] The
    broadcast Richard Sandomir reviews in the July 8 Times must have been different from the broadcast I
    watched. Either that or he wasn't paying any attention at all. If he had been paying attention, he
    would have heard Paul Sherwen (not "Jeff Sherwen"😉 report which teams were organizing to contest the
    time bonus sprint to come a kilometer or so down the road, and he would have seen the banners above
    the road and the line painted on the road at the finish line of the sprint. Nor did he watch the
    part of the program where the entire route, including all three bonus sprints, was previewed.

    If Sandomir had been watching for any more than a minute or two during stage two, he would have
    heard all the commentators debating whether or not the two riders who had broken away at the very
    start of the day would manage to stay ahead of the peloton all the way to the finish, or whether
    they would be caught in the closing kilometers. He also would have more than once heard Ligget and
    Sherwen, and colleague Bob Roll, explain the tactics of such long breakaways, and how they had
    gotten ahead because no other team felt a need to chase them as long as they stayed close enough for
    the sprinters' teams to close the gap before the finish.

    Either Sandomir approached the story with a preordained conclusion that bicycling is too
    confusing for American television viewers to understand, or he didn't make any effort at all to
    listen and learn.

    I have the stage on tape in case your editors want to see the broadcast themselves.

  9. Raptor said:


    tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN
    coverage isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil
    and Paul (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very
    annoying! nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no idea if it'll be published
    (I suspect not):

    To the editor:

    Yeah, just about what you said. I've noticed an effort on OLN's part to provide more background
    info during the coverage. They've dumbed down the commentary a tad this time around. That's not
    good enough for the ignorant AND impatient. If these new viewers are anything like me, they'll be
    even more curious to find out what all these words and questions mean, and continue watching. I
    don't think OLN should try all that hard to hook those impatient enough to give up watching just
    because every question isn't answered.

    Which, if you think about the above stamtenet, is indicative of TV viewing along with American
    Culture in general, no?

    "Give it to me fast! I don't have time to learn about it! Tell ME all I NEED TO KNOW!!!!"

    Just... an observation from out west...

    Joe
    --
    #----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
    #----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing. #
    #Linux support and training. # "Don't fear the penguin!" #
    #----------------------------------------------------------# Registered Linux user: #309247
    #counter.li.orgcounter.li.org # ----------------------------------------------------------#

  10. Joseph Cipale wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Raptor said:


    tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN
    coverage isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil
    and Paul (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very
    annoying!


    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no idea if it'll be published
    (I suspect not):

    To the editor:

    Yeah, just about what you said. I've noticed an effort on OLN's part to provide more background
    info during the coverage. They've dumbed down the commentary a tad this time around. That's not
    good enough for the ignorant AND impatient. If these new viewers are anything like me, they'll be
    even more curious to find out what all these words and questions mean, and continue watching. I
    don't think OLN should try all that hard to hook those impatient enough to give up watching just
    because every question isn't answered.

    Which, if you think about the above stamtenet, is indicative of TV viewing along with American
    Culture in general, no?

    "Give it to me fast! I don't have time to learn about it! Tell ME all I NEED TO KNOW!!!!"

    The OLN coverage of the TDF is the only concentrated TV viewing I do all year. I have to upgrade my
    cable package to get OLN, which I have been doing in July for the past three years.

    I don't know much about cycle racing--but I know that the TDF is an amazing event that needs to be
    covered at a high level to do it justice. Which OLN does.

    There would be no point in watching if it approached the idiocy of (for example) the U.S. coverage
    of the Olympic Games.

    This is my first post on this newsgroup--I have been reading it for a several days and am amazed at
    how on topic, informative and flame-free (relatively) it is compared to others which I read or post.

  11. It seems like Sandy could've just gone down the hall and asked Sam why the TV show covers the TdF
    like it does. Sam has been writing indepth, savvy TdF reports for the NYT for a few decades now.
    Does Sandy complain about Sam not catering enough to beginners?

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****
    *Out Your Backdoor * outyourbackdoor.comoutyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC ski
    culture, a Gulf Coast thriller folding bicycles ... with radical novels coming up! ...original
    downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums!
    HOLY SMOKES!

  12. tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    It was enough to make me fire off a letter to the editor. I have no

    <SNIP TDF stuff)

    Quoted message said:

    My suggestion to Mr. Sandomir: Either watch and enjoy, learning as you go, or learn first, then
    watch and enjoy, but don't suggest that cycling fans sit through basic explanations of the rules
    when they'd rather Phil and Paul spend the time telling us more details from their vast collective
    knowledge of cycling.

    It's really no different from the [censored] heard on NPR the other day with Frank Deford and the
    interview with Tyler Hamilton's Mommy and Daddy. Wow. Let me rush out and buy the lastest Sports
    Illustrated and watch ESPN4 tonight.

    John

  13. tracy said:


    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    I don't think he enjoyed being forced to watch for the article.

  14. tracy said:

    Anybody catch today's article in the Times where Richard Sandomir complains that the OLN coverage
    isn't "basic" enough and "mistakenly" caters to the cycling enthusiast? He blasts Phil and Paul
    (he called Paul "Jeff"😉 for failing to explain how people "join" a sprint. How very annoying!
    nytimes.com08sandomir.html

    Ironic how Sandomir complains that the coverage isn't basic, yet he gets Paul's name wrong. Isn't
    this enough of an indication that he didn't pay attention? Or is he just stupid? Or both?

    Wayne

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.