Cycling Training · Public discussion

Newbie do's and don't's? Help...

Started by Gee3 · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,875 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
28 October 2005
Last activity
28 October 2005
Original author
Gee3
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,875
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am new to road bikes and I wanted to know the do's and don't's of riding on the street, in groups, etc...

    I have a mt. bike I never use but my friend got me into road bikes recently so I want to start training with him for possible rally's next year and just general health/exercise.

    I see groups of riders on the streets a lot and i want to know what I should and shouldn't do so I don't [censored] people off. So any input will be helpful.

    Thanks in advance!
    Gary

    So far on my two rides I've done here is a couple things I've done so far:

    When i see other bikers I wave Hi.
    When a car passes me carefully I thank them with a wave or smile.
    I stay on the right and try my best to keep an eye on traffic around me.
    I try not to sight see since I've missed a pothole on the street and punctured my friend's rear tire on his bike I was using.
    Drink water every 10-15 mins to stay hydrated.
    Move my @ss around the seat or stand up to keep it from getting too sore.
    Move my feet around so they don't buzz too much.
    Move my hands around so they don't get sore or tired.

    Anything else I need to know? Etiquite? (spelling? hehe!)

    Thanks for the input!

  2. Be a good idea if you find beginner group rides. the ride leader of these type of rides will most times give a speech about do's and dont's. there are way to many to list. one important one how ever is hold your line! no sudden lefts or rights and sudden braking.

  3. BE PREDICTABLE...if you don't remember anything else from this post, remember this one. Do this and you will save your ass many times over no matter what kind of riding you are doing.

    Here's a great link that I still find helpful.

    bikexprt.comindex.htm

    Have fun! 😉

  4. rule62 said:

    BE PREDICTABLE...if you don't remember anything else from this post, remember this one.


    Yep, if you get through the ride without making anyone afraid that they're going to crash because of you, then they'll likely let you hang around long enough to learn the ropes.

  5. If you ride when it is dark or getting dark, be very visible on the road: wear a reflective vest and use both a headlight and a tail light.

  6. Gee3 said:

    I am new to road bikes and I wanted to know the do's and don't's of riding on the street, in groups, etc...

    I have a mt. bike I never use but my friend got me into road bikes recently so I want to start training with him for possible rally's next year and just general health/exercise.

    I see groups of riders on the streets a lot and i want to know what I should and shouldn't do so I don't [censored] people off. So any input will be helpful.

    Thanks in advance!
    Gary

    So far on my two rides I've done here is a couple things I've done so far:

    When i see other bikers I wave Hi.
    When a car passes me carefully I thank them with a wave or smile.
    I stay on the right and try my best to keep an eye on traffic around me.
    I try not to sight see since I've missed a pothole on the street and punctured my friend's rear tire on his bike I was using.
    Drink water every 10-15 mins to stay hydrated.
    Move my @ss around the seat or stand up to keep it from getting too sore.
    Move my feet around so they don't buzz too much.
    Move my hands around so they don't get sore or tired.

    Anything else I need to know? Etiquite? (spelling? hehe!)

    Thanks for the input!


    Whenever you reach an intersection even if you have the right of way...always look straight to the eyes of the incoming drivers that might pose a threat to you. See if they have acknowledge your existence!! Be always defensive, but be assertive in your actions.

    I have found that while riding on single lane roads, if a car is behind me ready to pass me, I signal him giving him the "go" to pass me. If hesitation of the driver is noticed by me due to a curve road ahead, I give him a "hold on signal", I look ahead of the curve , and if the coast is clear, I signal him to pass me. They seem to like that. "Can catch more flies with honey...."
    If passing a slower roadie, call in "coming to your left". As you pass him greet him with a "good morning, afternoon etc'. Short and sweet.
    Train with groups a little more advance than you to keep you challenged. Never fear of getting dropped....but do not get used to getting dropped either!
    Enjoy it

  7. Don't stay TOO far right as some butthole drivers will take as much road away from you as they can. IF YOUR SAFETY DEPENDS ON IT ride in the middle or left of the lane so they don't attempt dangerous passing. Not often do i have to do that.

    Also as the other rider mentioned, communicate with the traffic! use hand signals. If there's an oncoming car he's definetly going to avoid him rather than you, so feel free to give him the hold signal (hand down palm facing back). In city make eye contact, yell to get attention to if need be (HEY!). If you notice lil' grandma is hesitant to pass you, wave her on if its safe. On turns i usually hold all trafic behind me untill its safe.

    Just remember the road belongs to you as much as it does for cars. Do NOT be intimidated by a-holes because you have to take up the whole lane to save your life.

    and oh yeah, make sure you follow traffic law and regulations. When drivers see you obeying the law and acting as a car they respect that and will treat you as a vehicle. When you blow through stop signs and lights (not talking about your neighborhood) they won't respect your share of the road.

    hope it helps.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.