Hi,
I am just beginning to ride (mountain biking) and have ridden twice on local trails. These trails are fairly flat with some hills thrown in for good measure. I am mostly riding, at this time, for fitness and weight loss. The problem I seem to have is with endurance in the hill section. I was able to climb the hills, but was really slow and had labored breathing while climbing. Stopped a couple of times to catch my breath. Guess it didn’t help that I was trying to climb in my second chainring either :eek: !
I do have some weight to lose (5’7" and 215) but I’m trying to take that in small increments rather than setting an extremely large and unattainable goal. 5-10% weight loss then re-evaluate and set another goal. I do eat well; here’s a sample of what I would eat during the week:
<U>Breakfast:
[list]
- .5c oatmeal w/ 1c 1% milk and 1 tbsp walnuts, OR
- Whole wheat toast w/ 2 slices turkey bacon and 1 egg.
<U>Snack:
[list]
- 1 oz. Almonds or mixed nuts, OR
- Single serving size unsweetened applesauce, OR
- Single serving size fat free chocolate pudding.
<U>Lunch:
- Lean Cuisine meals (200-300 cal) with 1c vegetables or salad w/ Ranch dressing, OR
- Grilled Chicken breast (4-6oz), brown rice, and vegetables, OR
- Turkey Burger on whole-wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, and small bag Cheeze nips, OR
- Turkey sandwich on whole-wheat w/ fat free chocolate pudding.
[list]
- Single serving size unsweetened applesauce, OR
- Single serving size fat free chocolate pudding.
<U>Dinner:
- Grilled Chicken breast (4-6oz), rice, and vegetables, OR
- Grilled Pork Loin chop (4oz), red potatoes, vegetables, OR
- Spaghetti w/ Lean Beef meat sauce, garlic bread, OR
- Broiled fish (salmon, talapia, etc), rice, and vegetables.
[list]
- 1 oz. Almonds or mixed nuts.
- Single serving size fat free chocolate pudding.
Am I eating enough? I kind of don’t think I am, but your suggestions are welcomed.
So, I posted my eating here to show that I think I’m doing well at that; maybe I’m just having larger servings than I think I am. And up until about 2 weeks ago, my activity was limited to walking twice at work for 20 minutes.
I suppose what I need in advice really, is how do I build my endurance up? I can ride around my neighborhood and get in probably 12-15 miles on the streets. Most of the area is flat with very slight inclines and there are a few places that have hills with grades around 2-4%. Can someone give me some training advice or some sort of training schedule that would help me improve and maybe help with the weight loss as well?
Thanks for your suggestions, Karen.