NEWBIE HERE. Have an old frame...how to build?

cee

Oct 4, 2005
Newbie biker here....
I have an old Murray that I found in a friends garage.
The wheels, brakes, handlebars, seat are all shot. Looks like only the frame is useable. Any advice on what I need to rebuild this bike to road riding conditions?

cee said:
Newbie biker here....
The wheels, brakes, handlebars, seat are all shot. Looks like only the frame is useable. Any advice on what I need to rebuild this bike to road riding conditions?
If it's actually one made by Serotta, send it to me.Otherwise find a nice dumpster to throw it in.

boudreaux said:
If it's actually one made by Serotta, send it to me.Otherwise find a nice dumpster to throw it in.
Is it that bad of a bike?

The cost of componants will greatly outwiegh any value bought to the project by having a 'free' frame.

Its a long ol list of bits to get a bike together.

this is one of those '50's or '60's cruisers or sting rays or something like that, right?

unless you're looking to restore a nostalgic memory from your childhood days and have big bucks to throw at it, you'll save a lot of money and time getting something at k-mart.

if you want to do a restoration project, do a "vintage bikes" search and see what you'll be getting into. here are a few

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?L=456
http://www.oldroads.com/
http://rustyspokes.com/index.html

cee said:
Newbie biker here....
I agree, toss the frame. You can get frames for under $100-200 that'll be lightyears better than the Murray. The cost of components is where the majority of the cost is, so like someone else mentioned, the free frame isn't really worth it. Check ebay for decent prices on frames.

Buy a complete bike. You are starting with ZERO. You could then re-title your thread "NEWBIE HERE, Have nothing to start with...where do I buy a bike?" A complete parts build is cost prohibitive unless you are really searching for some odd combination unavailable. If you are a newbie go drop some cash on a low-end Trek or scour the want ads for good used bikes.

Everyone always says, throw away the frame. But like mentioned above, unless you want one just to ride around on, nothing serious, then build it up. We once had a customer who wanted us to throw away an old bianchi bike. It was a red road bike so we took the frame, junked the parts. And ended up building a kick ass cruiser out of it. Just bought some new parts and made it the shop bike for awhile.

StartTday said:
Everyone always says, throw away the frame. But like mentioned above, unless you want one just to ride around on, nothing serious, then build it up. We once had a customer who wanted us to throw away an old bianchi bike. It was a red road bike so we took the frame, junked the parts. And ended up building a kick ass cruiser out of it. Just bought some new parts and made it the shop bike for awhile.

That's a completely different scenario because the Bianchi was probably a decent frame and it would certainly accept standard parts. The Murray that the OP found in his friend's garage is likely a high-tensile steel department store bike that doesn't even accept "standard" parts. No offense but junk it. It's not worth building-up.

meehs said:
That's a completely different scenario because the Bianchi was probably a decent frame and it would certainly accept standard parts. The Murray that the OP found in his friend's garage is likely a high-tensile steel department store bike that doesn't even accept "standard" parts. No offense but junk it. It's not worth building-up.
During this years TDF the Sacramento Bee ran a piece on Dr.Max Testa (UC Davis Sports Science). The story was an expose' on his envolevment with TDF and world class cyclists for the past 20 years. The article had a few pictures of him with others through his career. One of the pictures included Dr. Testa in street clothes, Bob Roll and another cyclist in their 7-Eleven team jerseys sitting on Murray team bikes, 10 speeds I believe.:D

LW

cee said:
Newbie biker here....

You want to find out if this is one of the rare nice Murrays or a common department store cheapie. If is the first, it is worth fixing up and in fact would be a collectible. If it is the latter, follow the other advice, and junk it.

How to tell the difference? Take it to a shop or have an experienced cyclist friend take a look at it. They will know in one second which category it goes into. Or post a picture here and let the self-appointed "experts" give an opinion.

lwedge said:
During this years TDF the Sacramento Bee ran a piece on Dr.Max Testa (UC Davis Sports Science). The story was an expose' on his envolevment with TDF and world class cyclists for the past 20 years. The article had a few pictures of him with others through his career. One of the pictures included Dr. Testa in street clothes, Bob Roll and another cyclist in their 7-Eleven team jerseys sitting on Murray team bikes, 10 speeds I believe.:D

LW

Yeah, that's probably one of the Serotta built "Murrays" that boudreaux was referring to. I think I remember hearing about those way back when. Anyway... It's a pretty safe bet that the frame that the OP found rattling around in his friend's garage isn't one of 'em. ;)

meehs said:
Yeah, that's probably one of the Serotta built "Murrays" that boudreaux was referring to. I think I remember hearing about those way back when. Anyway... It's a pretty safe bet that the frame that the OP found rattling around in his friend's garage isn't one of 'em. ;)
I agree, those bikes where probably very nice rigs. I had to smile though seeing Bob with lots of hair and I had nearly lost all memory of Murray bikes.

LW