rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Newbie So SAD UPD and Broken Toe

Started by n9jcv · · Last activity · 6 posts · 285 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
14 September 2004
Last activity
14 September 2004
Original author
n9jcv
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
285
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, I thought I was doing so well. I had 6 or so hours in and last
    night at about 6 o'clock, I was riding. I had a UPD and landed on the
    tip of my left big toe. I thought I just stubbed it. Last night it
    hurt so bad I could not sleep. So this morning I had an Xray, and it
    was broken.

    Not being able to get back on that Uni for weeks is going to kill me. I
    wanted to do it today, but if I fall on my bad foot I will do something
    even worse.

    I am hoping in 3-4 weeks I can ride again. I only had 6 hours total
    time and was going 200 feet plus. Do you think when I get back on I
    will still be able to ride or will I be at ground zero?

    I am assuming that once I learn how to ride, that UPDs will occur
    verrrrry infrequently, does everyone else agree???

    I roller skate, and have for many years. It has been many years since I
    have fallen. I would assume it will be the same with the Uni?

    Any cheering up or encouragement would be great. The two things that
    hurt the most were knowing I can not ride for weeks and having to tell
    my wife. I can deal with the pain of the toe!!!
    B

    --
    n9jcv
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

  2. n9jcv said:

    * Do you think when I get back on I will still be able to ride or will
    I be at ground zero?

    I am assuming that once I learn how to ride, that UPDs will occur
    verrrrry infrequently, does everyone else agree???

    Any cheering up or encouragement would be great. The two things that
    hurt the most were knowing I can not ride for weeks and having to tell
    my wife. I can deal with the pain of the toe!!!
    B *

    I feel so sorry for you, seriously. In my opinion, getting from 20 feet
    to 200 feet was one of the top 10 feelings i've ever experienced. To not
    be able to do it -just- after learning must be excruciating!

    At most i'd say it will take you 30 minutes to get back to 200 feet.
    More likely it will come right back immediately. ground zero is gone
    forever whether you like it or not, your body is now officially in
    unicyclist mode until you die. i dont think you can unlearn
    unicycling.

    UPDs will occur as often as you choose to let them. If you just cruise
    around town on hte sidewalk or whatever, you'll probably have a UPD per
    day, maybe less. However, let me remind you that 90% of UPDs are
    semi-controlled and you land on your feet. So it is difficult to compare
    UPDs to falling while roller skating... i assume that roller skating
    falls are much more severe.

    Go easy on your toe, i hope it heals soon!

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

    The word gullible is written above my avatar!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

  3. At least your story is cooler than mine. I broke my big toe in 5th
    grade by... tripping over the Nintendo controller cord while my little
    brother was playing. Is your toe splinted at all? Mine was, and my
    doctor said that because of the hard shell of a ski boot, I could still
    ski (this happened right before ski season.) Try a pair of Brahma work
    shoes, ~$25 at Wal-Mart, they're steel toed so that might be doable 🙂
    I wear thfor both work an uni, and everything else for that matter 🙂

    --
    evil-nick - Hubs killed in the past year: 2

    Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
    stronger...

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

  4. Don't give up, Mr B!
    I agree with Grant about getting back into it when your toe permits, and
    about the UPDs.
    Don't worry too much about UPDs in the future--lightning never strikes
    twice, as they say. I've discovered that UPDs start to feel more like
    controlled falling the more you get used to them. I've been riding since
    May (much of that time, riding very badly as I was learning) and I think
    I must have had hundreds of UPDs, but only three or four of them had me
    on the ground--the rest, on my feet. Every fall was a learning
    experience--now, I hardly fall at all, thanks to those UPDs. The same
    will happen for you...

    Perhaps, (and I'm sure many here will disagree) you progressed a bit too
    fast for your own good? One thing I discovered, being the slow learner
    that I am, that while I did not progress quickly, while I spent a lot of
    time just riding along walls and fences, tapping them with my hands to
    maintain balance, I became sensitive to the ground surface, and figured
    out how to quit voluntairly whenever my balance appeared to start
    failing. Being 44 years old, I'm not too keen on falling, so I became
    hyper sensitive to what was coming before my wheel. Perhaps there is
    something good in progressing at a slower rate, I don't know...

    Anyway, think of your broken toe as a good luck charm to all the
    excellent times you have ahead of you on the good old one-wheel! Those
    UPDs can run, but they can't hide, and now you have your "big fall"
    behind you! The rest will be smooth sailing!

    Get well, then get rolling!

    Dogbowl

    PS--I know all too well the thing of having to tell the wife--that's
    what I dread more than anything--getting injured, then hearing my wife
    say "I told you so!" (she is skeptical about the uni thing, but less
    with each day...

    --
    dogbowl - Freemounting--20% of the time!

    "Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
    urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

  5. Very sorry to hear about your broken toe. I slammed mine a couple of
    weeks ago in Santa Barbara, but luckily it wasn't that bad. About
    UPDs...I hate to tell you this when you're down and injured, but the
    actual truth is that even experts crash sometimes. I once was lucky
    enough to go on a Muni ride with George Peck, and watched amazed as he
    went down hard on a smooth easy section of the trail. All it takes is a
    moment of inattention, maybe a tiny pebble, and even the mighty George
    Peck was on the ground.

    After I don't know how many miles (probably around 6-7000 in 5 1/2
    years), I was Cokering to work the other day and went flying forward off
    the uni, right in the middle of an intersection that I ride through 5
    days a week. Luckily I amazed myself by rolling smoothly and popping
    back up completely unharmed (except maybe my pride).

    Anyway, I think it can happen to anyone, any time. The result can be
    anything from broken bones to dust on your jersey.

    Good luck recovering and I hope you're back on the wheel very soon.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

  6. severe sympathies all round

    your achieved level of skill will come back to u real quick
    there r a coupld o f people on these fora that have taken 'breaks' of up
    to 30 years from riding and got back on with very little drama
    some of the finickier skills may take a while longer to come back, but
    since u didn't have any of those yet, u're safe

    tell the wife u maxed out the credit card at a
    casino/stripclub/shoeshop
    then tell her about the toe
    decide when a good time is to tell her that the credit card story was
    bogus
    :p

    --
    GILD - Waffle-[censored] and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35071

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.