General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Newfoundland salt pork

Started by =?iso-8859-1?B?TWljaOhsZQ==?= · · Last activity · 6 posts · 814 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 December 2005
Last activity
6 December 2005
Original author
=?iso-8859-1?B?TWljaOhsZQ==?=
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
814
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone!

    The mom's family side of my boyfriend is from Newfoundland. He says
    there is one thing he loved: Newfoundland salt pork. Unfortunately, we
    live in Montréal, Québec..... Is there anyone who knows and could
    tell me where to buy it in Montréal?

    That would be fabulous.

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    Michèle

  2. "Michèle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    Hi everyone!

    The mom's family side of my boyfriend is from Newfoundland. He says
    there is one thing he loved: Newfoundland salt pork. Unfortunately, we
    live in Montréal, Québec..... Is there anyone who knows and could
    tell me where to buy it in Montréal?

    That would be fabulous.

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    Michèle
    _________

    Did he mention how it was cooked? The only 'salt pork' I can think of is
    'fatback' (du lard salé) which they use to make scruncheons to eat with fish
    and brewis. You should find that easily in Montreal since it's also used to
    make "fèves au lard".

    Is he perhaps thinking of salt beef, which you could probably find in most
    large grocery store in buckets marked 'navel beef'. That's the ubiquitous
    Sunday dinner: a boiled dinner of salt beef with turnip, carrots, cabbage &
    potatoes with pease pudding cooked in the same pot.

    Gabby

  3. Michèle said:

    Hi everyone!

    The mom's family side of my boyfriend is from Newfoundland. He says
    there is one thing he loved: Newfoundland salt pork. Unfortunately, we
    live in Montréal, Québec..... Is there anyone who knows and could
    tell me where to buy it in Montréal?


    This place apparently does mail order. They have a salt pork and a
    salted beef. They describe the salted beef as a favorite Newfoundland
    staple. -aem
    http://www.bidgoods.ca/ListProducts.asp?ID=10

  4. Nope, no mention of the cooking. Lard salé, I know. And yes, that
    should be easy to find, but he precisely said Newfoundland salt pork..
    So I guess something is different about it!? I must say I have no idea.

    I'll check that and discretely ask him I guess, and check the link you
    sent aem.

    Thanks so much for the info. I'll see what I can do about it!!!

    Michèle

  5. "Michèle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    Nope, no mention of the cooking. Lard salé, I know. And yes, that
    should be easy to find, but he precisely said Newfoundland salt pork..
    So I guess something is different about it!? I must say I have no idea.
    _________________

    Michèle, your boyfriend may be talking about a boiled dinner. It's a meal
    that is usually made with salt beef but I have had it made with salt pork,
    not fatback lard but pork roasts that had been pickled in brine just like
    the salt beef is. Over the years I've searched for this product but have
    only rarely come across it, last time a few years ago in a Sobey's store in
    Dartmouth, NS. It's much easier to find salt beef.

    I don't know how many Newfoundlanders live in Montreal, but usually if there
    are many Newfoundland expats in a city, there is a Newfoundland store to
    bring in the products from Newfoundland and Labrador that most grocery
    stores outside the province (or at least outside the Maritimes) don't stock:
    Purity products; salt beef; salt fish; cod cheeks; cod tongues, etc. That's
    where I found what I was looking for in Halifax and Toronto. Check your
    phone book and see if there is anything listed.

    Gabby

  6. Well, thanks for the advice Sheldon!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.