General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Niaspan vs Slo-Niacin

Started by Oliver Costich · · Last activity · 6 posts · 7,293 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 May 2004
Last activity
22 December 2011
Original author
Oliver Costich
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,293
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
    now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg Niasapn
    is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco sells a product
    called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I have heard that
    these slow release products can cause liver problems but I
    tolerated the time release Niaspan well. Would I expect the
    Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?

  2. Oliver Costich said:

    I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
    now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
    Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd.

    That's life and capitalism.

    Quoted message said:

    Costco sells a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower
    price. I have heard that these slow release products can
    cause liver problems but I tolerated the time release
    Niaspan well. Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any
    diferent?

    Ime, the pharmacokinetics are different. You may not
    tolerate Slo-Niacin though you tolerated Niaspan.
    Nonetheless, you should inform your doctor if/when you make
    the change so that s/he will monitor you more closely.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    heartmdphd.comheartmdphd.com

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    What is all this about?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    Is this spam?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

  3. Oliver Costich wrote:
    | I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
    | now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
    | Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco sells
    | a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I have
    | heard that these slow release products can cause liver
    | problems but I tolerated the time release Niaspan well.
    | Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?

    Oliver,

    Some forms of sustained release forms of Niacin have known
    problems. You should work with your Dr in selecting an
    alternative to Niaspan.

    OTC NR (normal release) niacin (nicotinic acid) is the least
    expensive alternative to Niaspan but you may experiance
    greater flushing with its use. You may need to divide the
    dose if the flushing is a problem for you. Of course the
    daily dosage will need to be determined by your Dr to
    acheive the same affect as Niaspan.

    A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
    form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
    Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
    creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
    inositol as the compound is broken down in your body. Here
    is a good explanation: thorne.cominositol1
    3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
    accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
    Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
    reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.

    Don't get confused with Niacinamide, this is not the same.

    NR Niacin was long used before the invention of Niaspan.
    Niaspan was a breakthorugh in Niacin treatment as it help
    avoid the Niacin flush. Since it was now marketable as a
    prescription medicine the drug company was able to invest in
    safety and efficiacy studies. Frankly, without a means of

    IMHO, Kevin

  4. kahout said:

    Oliver Costich wrote:
    | I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage
    | is now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
    | Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco
    | sells a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I
    | have heard that these slow release products can cause
    | liver problems but I tolerated the time release Niaspan
    | well. Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?

    Oliver,

    Some forms of sustained release forms of Niacin have known
    problems. You should work with your Dr in selecting an
    alternative to Niaspan.

    OTC NR (normal release) niacin (nicotinic acid) is the
    least expensive alternative to Niaspan but you may
    experiance greater flushing with its use. You may need to
    divide the dose if the flushing is a problem for you. Of
    course the daily dosage will need to be determined by your
    Dr to acheive the same affect as Niaspan.

    A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
    form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
    Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
    creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
    inositol as the compound is broken down in your body. Here
    is a good explanation: thorne.cominositol1
    3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
    accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
    Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
    reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.

    Thanks. I have looked into this before and can't find
    anything specific about its effect on HDL except that it is
    presumed to work like ordinary niacin. What does it do for
    you? My HDL without Niaspan is low 30s, with it mid 50s.

    puritanspride.com has the 500mg for $10 for 3x50 capsules

    Quoted message said:


    Don't get confused with Niacinamide, this is not the same.

    NR Niacin was long used before the invention of Niaspan.
    Niaspan was a breakthorugh in Niacin treatment as it
    help avoid the Niacin flush. Since it was now marketable
    as a prescription medicine the drug company was able to
    invest in safety and efficiacy studies. Frankly, without
    a means of

    Quoted message said:


    IMHO, Kevin

  5. Oliver Costich wrote in reply to:
    || A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
    || form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
    || Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
    || creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
    || inositol as the compound is broken down in your body.
    || Here is a good explanation: thorne.cominositol1
    || 3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
    || accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
    || Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
    || reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.
    |
    | Thanks. I have looked into this before and can't find
    | anything specific about its effect on HDL except that it
    | is presumed to work like ordinary niacin. What does it
    | do for you? My HDL without Niaspan is low 30s, with it
    | mid 50s.
    |
    | puritanspride.com has the 500mg for $10 for 3x50 capsules

    I have not yet returned to my doctor to get another lipid
    profile. I am a bit remiss at doing this; my last result (pre-
    niacin) were within acceptable limit but my goal was to
    increase HDL, further lower lower LDL and Trg beyond my
    regimin of low-carb and fish oil supplements.

    The amount of material available on the Internet concerning
    INH is slim. Here is one example: life-life-
    enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=7#top I believe the
    topic was somewhat covered in this forum some time ago. If
    my memory is correct Dr Blanchard was supportive of INH for
    use in Niacin therapy. You may want to google the subject or
    ask Dr Blanchard (Sonos) yourself. He has his own website at
    sonoscore.comsonoscore.com

    Kevin

  6. I've taken both the Rx and over the counter forms of niacin and have received sterling blood test results, My MD suggested I add the the niacin, as it heightens the oils & statin Rx results. I agree!

    My MD is delighted. Understand, I also take Vytorin and Fish/Borage & Flax oils all along. Make sure the niacin is a slow release form, rapid release will not be effective, per my MD.

    Rx is so expensive and a waste of $ for me.

    Tim S.
    Colorado

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.