Road Cycling · Public discussion

Nice win for McEwen

Started by Robert Chung · · Last activity · 38 posts · 973 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 May 2006
Last activity
16 May 2006
Original author
Robert Chung
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
973
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–38 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kurgan Gringioni said:
    Donald Munro said:


    And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
    recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
    resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

    Dumbass -

    Unlike that [censored], Bill C., I like it when sprinters walk the edge in
    the pursuit of their craft.

    Abdujaporov, Moncassin - suicidal. Those two guys had no fear and
    everyone in turn feared them.

    McEwen, Zabel - head butts. I like head butts. Good way to move the
    other guy's arm without moving your own. Only really good bike handlers
    are able to execute a proper head butt.

    Cipollini - that guy was mostly a [censored]. He had the most power, so he
    was the best when he had his train, but when he didn't have the train,
    he would be lost.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.


    I'm waiting for the Lafferty Anything Goes Open Series where they can
    use stun guns, cattle prods, and tasers in the sprint along with all
    the good drugs to get them wound up for it. Can you imagine the
    coverage of the trips to the team car with 20Km to go? I can see
    Ferrari working the broadcast with Phil as an expert commentator on the
    "preparation" aspects.
    Now that would be classical theater, Roman style!
    Bill C

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Donald Munro said:
    Raptor said:

    I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
    (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
    ago, and Cookie crashed.

    And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
    recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
    resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

    Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
    that.

    Not so surprising, of course.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kurgan Gringioni said:

    Abdujaporov, Moncassin - suicidal. Those two guys had no fear and
    everyone in turn feared them.

    Those two were supremely unpredictable and had the horsepower to pull off some
    amazing moves. But it was funny that Abdu won his last stage as a solo breakaway.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  4. On 5/14/06 6:55 AM, in article
    [email hidden], "Bill C"

    Quoted message said:


    Raptor said:


    Has he ever caused a crash?

    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Not that I can find. Lots of complaints from other riders and even
    teamates about him, but nothing saying HE actually caused a crash.
    That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
    Maybe he gets hammered a little unfairly due to his "pleasant"
    personality.
    Bill C

    http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/austin_murphy/07/22/top10/p1_mcewen_0722.
    jpg

  5. Robert Chung said:
    Donald Munro said:
    Raptor said:

    I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
    (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
    ago, and Cookie crashed.


    And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
    recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
    resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/matelas.jpg

    1) Amazing
    2) Thanks mate, friggin ear wax was driving me nuts!
    3) This is something even a Nascar fan could appreciate...

    http://gblx.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundodeporte/especiales/2005/07/tour_francia/fotografia/etapa3/mcewen-efe.jpg

  6. Raptor said:
    Bill C said:

    There's a big difference between the dangers of a sprint and
    stupidity, McWhiner crosses into stupidity too often for me, then
    claims it was everybody elses fault but his.
    If you're going to play that way, at least own it.
    Bill C

    Has he ever caused a crash?

    Actually, yes. At the last stage of the Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen
    in early March. He litterally drove Matti Breschel into the barriers.
    The young Dane injured his back very badly. Spent a few weeks in the
    hospital.

    Kenny

  7. Most violent sprint I remember are Kelly and Vanderaerden crossing the
    line boxing... with about two-three lengths on the rest of the bunch.

    Other nice one is Tom Steels throwing a full bidon towards an oppononet
    (nice one to do with 60+ kmh, you could kill someone with some luck)

  8. Quoted message said:

    Most violent sprint I remember are Kelly and Vanderaerden crossing the
    line boxing... with about two-three lengths on the rest of the bunch.

    Other nice one is Tom Steels throwing a full bidon towards an oppononet
    (nice one to do with 60+ kmh, you could kill someone with some luck)

    Dumbass -

    That was the greatest sprint ever (I didn't see the Kelly/Vanderaerden
    one).

    Moncassin and Steels were moving up, Moncassin was to Steel's side and
    a wheel behind and a rider was in his way. So he did the natural
    Moncassin thing and tried to squeeze the six inch gap between Steels
    and the slower rider, knocking Steels out of the way. In shock, Steels
    gave up the sprint, then threw his bidon.

    That was on the right hand side. In the same sprint, Zabel was in third
    wheel and a surge went on the left. Zabel barged in right after the
    lead wheel, throwing a violent head butt simultaneously at the
    unfortunate follower. Of course he got the wheel.

    All this caught by helicopter, above. I watched it over and over in
    slo-mo. Amazing that no one crashed.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  9. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
    that.

    The Cycle Sport article doesn't make him out all that bad. And even at
    the local cat 1,2,3 level, it isn't unusual for the sprinters to have
    grudges - they do more banging.

    I can still remember when two of the best in our area spent the last
    200 yards bouncing off each other and cutting each other off. They
    rolled across in about 20th place and on their way to the DQ group,
    but they simply lost it. Kind of funny watching it, even knowing
    they'd be arguing only the other guy should be DQ'd.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  10. On 14 May 2006 14:55:39 -0700, "Bill C" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Damn Dude!
    You smoke any other Aussies cigar for them too? I thought the Lance
    apologists had brown lips...
    Bill C

    He's not an apologist. These aren't a bunch of local cat 3s - they're
    pros and if they can't race shoulder to shoulder and suffer the
    consequences, they should settle for 20th until their contract isn't
    renewed.

    Some 'caused' accidents are primarily making the mistake of assuming
    the kid trying to increase next year's contract had the skills to stay
    upright. The real deals are what make sprinter finishes the most
    exciting and crowd pleasing races and stages. Interestingly enough,
    most major accidents that I recall recently are the support guys
    losing it in midpack, not the bangers at the front.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  11. Curtis L. Russell said:

    On 14 May 2006 14:55:39 -0700, "Bill C" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Damn Dude!
    You smoke any other Aussies cigar for them too? I thought the Lance
    apologists had brown lips...
    Bill C

    He's not an apologist. These aren't a bunch of local cat 3s - they're
    pros and if they can't race shoulder to shoulder and suffer the
    consequences, they should settle for 20th until their contract isn't
    renewed.

    Some 'caused' accidents are primarily making the mistake of assuming
    the kid trying to increase next year's contract had the skills to stay
    upright. The real deals are what make sprinter finishes the most
    exciting and crowd pleasing races and stages. Interestingly enough,
    most major accidents that I recall recently are the support guys
    losing it in midpack, not the bangers at the front.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels..

    Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
    Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
    barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid [censored] that
    needs to be called.
    McEwen does more than his share, but [censored] up a storm about everyone
    elses behavior. That's what really pisses me off with him.
    If he stood up and said I'm riding to win and doing whatever I can,
    and so are they so it's all just racing, then I'd have some respect for
    him. he pushes the limits of the rules then [censored] when he gets called
    on it, or someone else does it to him.
    Dale Earnhardt was perfect example of how to do it with respect.
    Everyone knew he was going to do everything in his power, right to the
    edge of the rules, to win and he did. That's why his nickname was "The
    Intimidator", but he also expected to get back as good as he gave and
    didn't [censored] when he got bit by it.
    McWhiner wants it all his way, where he can do whatever he wants and
    the judges should penalize anyone else for doing it. THATS why I have
    zero respect for him as a racer. I respect his athletic ability, but
    not the whole package.
    Bill C

  12. On 15 May 2006 11:45:23 -0700, "Bill C" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
    Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
    barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid [censored] that
    needs to be called.

    Well, Bill, you take the guy on the ground's pulse and if its beating,
    no foul. It simplifies the whole protest thing.

    I guess you want to know if there is a time limit on the pulse thing.
    Five minutes seems a bit short, but you can't hold someone responsible
    if the other guy goes downhill the next day. You have to figure the
    doctor or the hospital is more responsible at that point. Maybe just
    say if its beating through the protest period...

    The best thing about this process is that it doesn't really require
    judgment or anything - just a good stop watch.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. Curtis L. Russell said:

    On 15 May 2006 11:45:23 -0700, "Bill C" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
    Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
    barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid [censored] that
    needs to be called.

    Well, Bill, you take the guy on the ground's pulse and if its beating,
    no foul. It simplifies the whole protest thing.

    I guess you want to know if there is a time limit on the pulse thing.
    Five minutes seems a bit short, but you can't hold someone responsible
    if the other guy goes downhill the next day. You have to figure the
    doctor or the hospital is more responsible at that point. Maybe just
    say if its beating through the protest period...

    The best thing about this process is that it doesn't really require
    judgment or anything - just a good stop watch.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

    That would definitely make life easier for us official types, and if
    the sprinters wanted it, I could live with it as long as I didn't have
    to scrape 'em off the pavement. Hell, we could even make them pre-file
    an incident report when they picked up their numbers so that would be
    simple too.
    Rollerderby on bicycles with lots more blood. Seems to be a natural
    for the X-Games.
    Bill C
    Bill C

  14. Bill C said:


    That would definitely make life easier for us official types, and if
    the sprinters wanted it, I could live with it as long as I didn't have
    to scrape 'em off the pavement. Hell, we could even make them pre-file
    an incident report when they picked up their numbers so that would be
    simple too.

    Most excellent - you're starting to see the light. 😉

    R

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Curtis L. Russell said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
    that.

    The Cycle Sport article doesn't make him out all that bad. And even at
    the local cat 1,2,3 level, it isn't unusual for the sprinters to have
    grudges - they do more banging.

    I can still remember when two of the best in our area spent the last
    200 yards bouncing off each other and cutting each other off. They
    rolled across in about 20th place and on their way to the DQ group,
    but they simply lost it. Kind of funny watching it, even knowing
    they'd be arguing only the other guy should be DQ'd.

    If they really meant it they would settle the matter in
    the parking lot. Besides being weak, slow, short-winded,
    and non-competitive, the only reason I never played
    organized sports is that I never forget, never forgive,
    and am easily pushed into getting ugly.

    --
    Michael Press

  16. Does this count as whingeing?

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may16news

    While Vaitkus undoubtedly deserved a long sought-after win, he also
    benefited from the fatigue of Davitamon-Lotto sprinter Robbie McEwen,
    who had suffered on the climbs earlier in the day and was fourth across
    the line. "The climbs cooked me a bit and I just didn't have the legs
    to go in a long sprint like that," said McEwen after the race. "I was
    able to get back on after the climbs but I didn't have much left and I
    struggled all the way to the line."

    Bill C, if you watch more interviews with Robbie Mc, you'll find that
    generally he is a gracious loser and respectful of other riders. Sure
    he had that fight with Lance a few years back but I'd say that was a
    case of two too similar personalities clashing.

  17. Bill C said:

    Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
    Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
    barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid [censored] that
    needs to be called.

    I'm just puzzled why the fastest guy doesn't just ride away from all the
    carnage. That's how I won my two sprints. 🙂

    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
    I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
    trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
    the most insidious of traitors."
    George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

  18. Michael Press said:

    If they really meant it they would settle the matter in
    the parking lot. Besides being weak, slow, short-winded,
    and non-competitive, the only reason I never played
    organized sports is that I never forget, never forgive,
    and am easily pushed into getting ugly.

    When you are easily ugly, its easy to have grudges. Intelligence is
    when you surround yourself with people uglier than you are; illusions
    end when you suddenly realize that's what they're doing too.

    Probably has relevance to rbr.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.