Night riding convert

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:19:11 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mike Kruger wrote:
>> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> I know they are around but I never see raccoons on night rides.

>> They probably are around. In the Cook County (IL) Forest Preserves, there
>> are picnic groves with open barrels for trash. In the evening after dark,
>> there are raccoons all over these. If you have a spot nearby like this, see
>> if you can find any raccoons there.
>>
>> Over short distances, raccoons can show decent speed (>= 15 miles per hour).
>>

>I have parked near cans in the forest preserves and waited and sometimes
>had baby raccoons come up for a handout. I am from Illinois first,
>California is an accident. Once the babies got used to me the mother
>would sometimes come up close but not too close and try to steal the
>food from her kids. No manners. Back in 1962 when there were more of them.
>Bill Baka

Racoons are known rabies carriers.

"Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Whoah, you folks have been holding out on me.

i ride to work at 3pm, then home at 12am. the afternoon ride is full of
cars, car doors, peds, trucks, kids & did i mention car doors? the ride home
is a delight save for the occasional shouts from bars full of drunks.

"Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whoah, you folks have been holding out on me. There is nothing like

riding
> on a deserted bike path through the calm dark night under the stars. It

was
> so good I took a detour to get in a few more miles. So today I'm off to

buy
> lights for my husband's bike, and we can both hit the night session and

ride
> home together. Not only am I a convert, I'm now attempting to recruit my
> husband. :). I'm thinking of date nights in Palo Alto through the rest

of
> the summer. Maybe while I'm at it I should buy lights for my daughter so
> she can ride in the dark with us when she returns from camp.

Yes, my husband and I rode home in the dark. And the next night my 12 year
old was delighted with her new lights, and went to see the night tennis
match with me just so she could ride home in the dark. It was 10pm at
night, and she had gotten up early that morning, but she really liked the
ride home down the deserted bike paths and empty local lanes. I have two
more converts.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> writes:

>> rabbits will attempt to freeze or bolt, skunks are just arrogant. I
>> guess raccoons are there too, just discreet.

> IME it's the raccoons who are arrogant; they'll just amble along
> across your line and give you a Fabrizio Mazzoleni dirty look, if
> they acknowledge your presence at all.

I did see my first live city raccoon Friday night. I had stopped in a park
around midnight for a drink. I sat at a bench with a garbage can next to it.
I heard a scrabbling sound and sure enough a raccoon pops up from the can
not a meter away from where I'm sitting. He [she?] gave me a doleful look
and shuffled off to a nearby tree to wait until I leave so he could resume
his dinner.

recycled-one wrote:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> writes:

>>> rabbits will attempt to freeze or bolt, skunks are just arrogant. I
>>> guess raccoons are there too, just discreet.

>> IME it's the raccoons who are arrogant; they'll just amble along
>> across your line and give you a Fabrizio Mazzoleni dirty look, if
>> they acknowledge your presence at all.

> I did see my first live city raccoon Friday night. I had stopped in a
> park around midnight for a drink. I sat at a bench with a garbage can
> next to it. I heard a scrabbling sound and sure enough a raccoon pops
> up from the can not a meter away from where I'm sitting. He [she?]
> gave me a doleful look and shuffled off to a nearby tree to wait
> until I leave so he could resume his dinner.

I have a whole family of 'em in my neighborhood, and they seem to love the
fence along the side of my house. More than once I've gone out to get in
the hot tub and heard them scratching -- good thing I hear 'em or I'd walk
right into one of the babies and who knows what mama would do. (She hisses
as it is.)

Now I turn on the light before going out there.

Adventure Bill

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a whole family of 'em in my neighborhood, and they seem to love the
> fence along the side of my house. More than once I've gone out to get in
> the hot tub and heard them scratching -- good thing I hear 'em or I'd walk
> right into one of the babies and who knows what mama would do. (She
> hisses as it is.)

Careful. Rabies is very prevalent among raccoons, and their droppings
contain all manner of parasite eggs and other assorted nasties.