General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Nike Spiridon

Started by Globaldisc · · Last activity · 31 posts · 6,043 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 September 2003
Last activity
23 September 2003
Original author
Globaldisc
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,043
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well Fred, here's where I cum clean and apologize to the ol' thebillrodgers for being such a
    [censored]. I just found out I had half a banana still wedged up my ass, but my BF Donovan was able
    to pull it out with his tongue for me, and now I'm fine. I owe thebillrodgers a huge apology for
    harassing him when I knew he was right all along. It was just good fun while my Donny was away for
    the weekend on a business trip to Provincetown, Mass. I love you Bill, you are my idol, my hero,
    and the very reason I run.

    Your pal, Doug Freese

    Sorry, the real Doug Freese knows my name and doesn't use hotmail.

  2. Well Doug, I guess I can forgive you this time, I enjoyed the bantering once you showed you really
    had no substance to argue with, and that you actually agree with me. Tell ya what, as a peace
    offering send me your address, and I'll send you a weeks supply (55 gal drum) of KY jelly to you.

    (Doug Freese) said:

    Well Fred, here's where I cum clean and apologize to the ol' thebillrodgers for being such a
    [censored]. I just found out I had half a banana still wedged up my ass, but my BF Donovan was able
    to pull it out with his tongue for me, and now I'm fine. I owe thebillrodgers a huge apology for
    harassing him when I knew he was right all along. It was just good fun while my Donny was away for
    the weekend on a business trip to Provincetown, Mass. I love you Bill, you are my idol, my hero,
    and the very reason I run.

    Your pal, Doug Freese

    "TenKMan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The myth man opines:

    Come on Willie, can't you see the forest for the trees? If you can't separate quality from
    moral issues then you must live in a very black and white world. Let's see, you're also a
    conservative Republican that drinks Bud!

    Could be worse. He could be a liberal Democrat that cashes his welfare check to buy lottery
    tickets and Coors.

    Quoted message said:

    > Your turn? (yes, i know all about it)

    Nah, you're way to immature to continue this discussion. Stick to running where you are at
    least correct 50% of the time.

    Pass the banana please! 🙂 🙂

    --
    Doug Freese [email hidden]


  3. TenKMan said:

    Sorry, the real Doug Freese knows my name and doesn't use hotmail.


    Yeah, I hear he uses "hotmales" LOLOL But seriously, that sure sounds like the real Doug to me. And
    here I thought his apology was sincere. I'll play the optimist here and until I hear different
    assume it's him.

  4. TenKMan said:

    Sorry, the real Doug Freese knows my name and doesn't use hotmail.

    At times his smashmouth cockalorum, sans ratiocination, makes me laugh at him. A popinjay
    comes to mind.

    --
    Doug Freese [email hidden]

  5. Doug Freese said:


    TenKMan said:

    Sorry, the real Doug Freese knows my name and doesn't use hotmail.

    At times his smashmouth cockalorum, sans ratiocination,

    What the heck did he say? Translation anbyone?

    Quoted message said:

    akes me laugh at him.

    Then I did my job.

    Quoted message said:

    A popinjay comes to mind.

    Some kind of [censored]-eroticism?

  6. PeTe said:

    What the heck did he say? Translation anbyone?

    You're full of [censored]!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    akes me laugh at him.

    Then I did my job.

    That you did. A little like Andrew Dice Clay - funny for a second or two but got old real fast.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A popinjay comes to mind.

    Some kind of [censored]-eroticism?

    Almost.

    --
    Doug Freese [email hidden]

  7. Doug Freese said:
    PeTe said:

    What the heck did he say? Translation anbyone?

    You're full of [censored]!

    Quoted message said:


    Ok.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    akes me laugh at him.

    Then I did my job.

    That you did. A little like Andrew Dice Clay - funny for a second or two but got old real fast.

    The Diceman lives!

    Quoted message said:

    popinjay comes to mind.

    Quoted message said:

    Some kind of [censored]-eroticism?

    Almost.

    I figured...

  8. PeTe said:


    Don't give the dummy hints, let him do his own web research. I lost
    1.5 hours outta my life to prove him wrong, so he should too. Anybody dumb enough to believe the
    junk he is spewing about nike deserves to spend some time getting better educated. He's trying
    to defend a whole company with a long history of producing garbage shoes at inflated prices,
    based on one shoe that's designed to cater to 5,000 people in the whole USA. Laughable really.

    Eh, whatever. I'm moderately company agnostic - if Nike started producing good shoes at reasonable
    prices, I'd consider them. I figure after the media bloodbath they had, their 3rd world work
    practices are about as (good,bad) as most other shoe companies, so there's no reason to turn a blind
    eye _if_ they're actually making a good product. I'm not impressed with their products in general,
    but - as one example - the SDM watch + pod is a pretty cool toy.

    I'll let someone else do the research and the $100 to figure out if Nike's shoes are any
    good, though.

    On the other hand, my racing will probably always benefit more and more cheaply from a 10oz less ice
    cream than from 2oz less shoe. Maybe once I start dipping down under 5 minute miles I'll appreciate
    shoe weight a bit more. At 0.5oz lighter than my DS Verdicts (and $30 more), there'd have to be
    something pretty impressively better about them to sell me.

    Their flash-only website is a wee bit (!) annoying, though. Style over content... hmm.

    -Dave

    --
    work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
    angio.netangio.net (note that my reply-to address is vaguely despammed...) bulk emailers: I do
    not accept unsolicited email. Do not mail me.

  9. Dave Andersen said:

    Style over content... hmm.

    Just like their shoes...

  10. I like and run in Nike shoes (Span and Streak) and also have shoes from other manufacturers. But
    there is nothing special about the Spiridon, in fact the reviews I've read have slammed it pretty
    hard. There are tons of shoes in the 10 oz range with good rearfoot cushioning and stability. Here
    are a few: Asics DS-Trainer, Mizuno Maverick, Adidas Rotterdam. These are proven shoes that have
    gotten good reviews. These shoes have been advertised heavily and I think people are getting sucked
    up in the Nike marketing hype. For what it's worth I have cut and pasted some of the Runners World
    UK review.

    Runners World: "There's also no forefoot Air, so the toe-off area doesn't feel well cushioned. The
    contrast between the cushioned rearfoot and the hard forefoot doesn't make for a smooth ride.
    Wear-testers also found the midsole narrow in the forefoot, which further limits the appeal. In
    short The caged Zoom Air concept shows promise, but the Spiridon doesn't really deliver. Only
    efficient, narrow-footed runners, who aren't too bothered about forefoot cushioning will favour it.
    There are plenty of better shoes around for £20 less."

    "Only efficient, narrow-footed runners..." Doesn't sound like a shoe suited for heel strikers to me.

    Tramps like us... baby we were born to run.

    [email hidden] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Nike announced Thursday that its fiscal 2004 first-quarter profits ran past analysts' forecasts as
    the athletic shoe giant scored big overseas and showed signs of reversing a skid in U.S. sneaker
    sales. <snip> The average price paid for Nike sneakers has begun to rise after about a year and a
    half of declines, <snip> Swift sales of Nike's Shox and Air Zoom Spiridon running shoes, both
    priced at $100 or more, helped fuel the increase, Blair said...
    _______

    OK, the Shox are inexcusable & have no place on this ng. Their flats were always legit, but I am
    sensing Nike has a winner for the real runner with this Spiridon. At my races I am starting to see
    this shoe popping up on the feet of serious runners and they seem to rave over it. I'm not strong
    enough or talented enough to ball/toe & midsole strike over 10K and I inevitably migrate to heel
    striking for a good portion of LD races and thus generally wear a 12 oz stability shoe (for over
    10Ks). Unlike a lightweight trainer which really is for midsole striking.... this Spiridon is made
    for heel strikers yet offers the forefront flexibility like a flat. I think it's the only under 10
    .oz shoe (Sz 9-10) designed for heel strikers...it's really in a class of it's own w/it's weight,
    design, and materials.

    Anyone out there using the shoe? I've never bought a current model shoe as I generally refuse to
    pay retail....(I buy last year's at half price today)....however I am curious about this shoe. Can
    we get past the Nike bashing and consider the shoe free of ant-Nike sentiment? It's an intriguing
    shoe in my opinion and I am seeing spreading acceptance of it from serious runners. Anyone else
    seeing this at their races? I think Nike might have a winner here...

    C'mon...most be some running folks out there in this ng w/the shoe?

  11. (bigsky) said:

    I like and run in Nike shoes (Span and Streak) and also have shoes from other manufacturers. But
    there is nothing special about the Spiridon, in fact the reviews I've read have slammed it
    pretty hard.

    I'd heard that too, so it was quite amazing to see someone actuallly using this as an example of a
    good shoe. I got a laff out of it anyways...

    Quoted message said:

    There are tons of shoes in the 10 oz range with good rearfoot cushioning and stability.

    OH NO! There can't be, only the nike gods could have made such a wonder of modern engineering
    <snicker snicker>. The part that really cracks me up is that he not only claimed it was a great
    shoe, but that nike was "the only one" with it on the market, when in actuality they weren't even
    the 1st or 2nd to copy it.

    Quoted message said:

    re are a few: Asics DS-Trainer, Mizuno Maverick, Adidas Rotterdam. These are proven shoes that have
    gotten good reviews. These shoes have been advertised heavily and I think people are getting sucked
    up in the Nike marketing hype. For what it's worth I have cut and pasted some of the Runners World
    UK review.

    Runners World: "There's also no forefoot Air, so the toe-off area doesn't feel well cushioned. The
    contrast between the cushioned rearfoot and the hard forefoot doesn't make for a smooth ride.
    Wear-testers also found the midsole narrow in the forefoot, which further limits the appeal. In
    short The caged Zoom Air concept shows promise, but the Spiridon doesn't really deliver. Only
    efficient, narrow-footed runners, who aren't too bothered about forefoot cushioning will favour it.
    There are plenty of better shoes around for £20 less."

    "Only efficient, narrow-footed runners..." Doesn't sound like a shoe suited for heel
    strikers to me.

    Tramps like us... baby we were born to run.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.