rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Nimbus/ kh moment cranks

Started by littleman · · Last activity · 16 posts · 405 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
29 March 2008
Last activity
30 March 2008
Original author
littleman
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
405
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I'm looking at upgrading from my torker dx, but I'm not sure wether
    to get a kh 07 or a nimbus with kh moment cranks. I heard the nimbus
    with the kh cranks is pretty popular now days. So I looked on udc and
    saw there is three trials 20in nimbus unicycles.

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1048

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1035

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=596

    The people that are buying the nimbus and upgrading the cranks, what
    unicycle are you using. I heard that whatever unicycle you are choosing
    is actually lighter than the kh. Cause if its the $265 one thats a way
    better deal than the kh.

    Thanks.

    --
    littleman
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    littleman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15401
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. I'm personally a big fan of nimbus and think KH's are overpriced. I got
    a nimbus ISIS with a KH street saddle and KH moment cranks and I think
    this is the best option for a trials uni. Way cheaper and only slightly
    heavier (because of the $40 nimbus frame not the $200 KH frame).

    So yeah, I reckon you should definitely upgrade the cranks and probably
    upgrade to a KH seat although some people prefer nimbus seats.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Anybody else agree?

    Also another question, how do people like the double drilled kh moment
    cranks where you can switch the pedals around to different sizes.
    Because I like doing street but I would also like the option of some
    long cranks for trials.

    --
    littleman
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    littleman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15401
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Double holed cranks are designed for muni. For trials 150mm is too long.
    I do street and trials and I love the 137mm length. I used to ride
    125mm and I prefer 137mm for sure.

    Nimbus ISIS are very cheap on UDC US compared to most other UDC's if
    you look at all the exchange rates and prices. I'd say go for the
    nimbus unless you want a light frame.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. If I ever wanted to upgrade to a kh frame would it fit onto the nimbus.

    --
    littleman
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    littleman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15401
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. 150's aren't that bad, it's what I ride on my trials. At first I thought
    it would affect my rolling hop length and stuff like, but they really
    aren't bad. The torque is also fantastic, I've got the very edge of my
    tire where my axle is not even above the ledge, but your able to pull
    yourself up. Another this nice about this is the lack of a buck when
    jumping up stuff which I got alot with rolling ups on my dx. So for
    absolute trials 150s are tolerable and offer some big advantages. For a
    mix though go with 137's, they seem to be the best choice.

    Nimbus with kh cranks is a top notch uni and I recommend it to
    everybody wanting to upgrade.

    --
    wickedbob

    R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

    'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).

    My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wickedbob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14353
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Yes. But you would also need to buy a 27.2mm seatpost as the nimbus
    frame takes 25.4mm seatposts. So basically if you think you may want to
    upgrade the frame later on it'd be cheaper to buy the KH instead of the
    nimbus.

    I think the only parts where the stock KH is better than the stock
    nimbus ISIS are the cranks, seat, rim (KH is wider), and frame.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. wickedbob said:

    150's aren't that bad, it's what I ride on my trials. At first I thought
    it would affect my rolling hop length and stuff like, but they really
    aren't bad. The torque is also fantastic, I've got the very edge of my
    tire where my axle is not even above the ledge, but your able to pull
    yourself up. Another this nice about this is the lack of a buck when
    jumping up stuff which I got alot with rolling ups on my dx. So for
    absolute trials 150s are tolerable and offer some big advantages. For a
    mix though go with 137's, they seem to be the best choice.

    Nimbus with kh cranks is a top notch uni and I recommend it to
    everybody wanting to upgrade.

    Do you hit the pedals on the ground when turning? I've never ridden
    anything longer than 137mm but 150 just seems so long.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. SkierAlex said:

    Yes. But you would also need to buy a 27.2mm seatpost as the nimbus
    frame takes 25.4mm seatposts.

    Or he could buy a shim.

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Borgschulze said:

    Or he could buy a shim.

    Are those good? I thought they are only for 22.2mm seatposts. I have a
    crappy 29" with a 22.2mm seat post and I'm getting a muni with 25.4mm
    and I might get a shim so I can have a free ride saddle for my long
    distance rides.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Shims come in many sizes.

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. Borgschulze said:

    Shims come in many sizes.

    Sorry this has got slightly off topic. Does an average bike shop have a
    shim that could convert a 22.2mm seatpost to 27.2mm? What's the
    standard bike seatpost size?

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Dual drilled cranks are not good for trials and street, the dual holes
    compromise the strength.

    --
    Kyle_Destroyer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kyle_Destroyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16298
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. I can't vie for any other of the unis, but I recently got a Nimbus
    Trials and love it. I upgraded from a torker lx.

    200th post

    --
    hungry4uni

    If only all bikes were cut in two
    '1st
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    '2nd
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungry4uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16147
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. SkierAlex said:

    Sorry this has got slightly off topic. Does an average bike shop have a
    shim that could convert a 22.2mm seatpost to 27.2mm? What's the
    standard bike seatpost size?

    Average bike shops may or may not have that size--more likely at a shop
    that deals a lot with bmx bikes, as they're the most likely bikes to
    have a 22.2 post. All you need to do is call around, and ask if they
    have a shim to go from 22.2 to 27.2. If they don't, they can order one
    for you; or you could try aebike.com. They usually run around US$7-10.

    --
    pkittle

    *==========================
    Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
    "The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
    --Billy Bragg
    ==========================*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. Are you a street or trials rider? If you plan on ever getting into tech
    street (or even just crankflips), I would definitely go KH. It is
    lighter for one, which is quite important for techy stuff, but isn't
    all that noticeable for everything else. The biggest problem with the
    nimbus, however is the frame. If you get then nimbus II frame (the
    first one you have listed) then be prepared to tear the pantlegs of
    every single pants you ride with. I have ridden the nimbus 2 uni once
    and both pantlegs got ruined just in that ride. I also have a similar
    shaped frame and that also ruined a pantleg almost every ride. If you
    go for the street frame, then that weighs more, but even worse, be
    prepared to bend a post every ride. I literally have bent 2 or 3 22mm
    posts in one day. The last one you listed costs i think $200 more than
    a kh does and has a round frame. If you want to do tech street... a kh
    is better by a long shot.

    With trials or big street, it really doesn't matter much between the
    normal nimbus 20 or the KH.

    P.S. same applies for flatland with the tech street part. And remember,
    many don't know this but KH frames do have a warranty.

    --
    peleschramm

    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
    unicycle for atheism.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    peleschramm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14077
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68767

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.