Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Niteflux? Hmm, should I really recommend them?

Started by TimC · · Last activity · 6 posts · 844 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
5 October 2005
Last activity
7 October 2005
Original author
TimC
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
844
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I didn't get a response from Niteflux, despite the fact that I know
    they looked at the images of the exploded light.

    Verbatim letter to them:

    Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 00:16:14 +1000 (EST)
    Hi again,

    Lastnight while riding home, the new 5W globe (bought 14th August) in
    the same housing and mount as in the fault reported below,
    spontaneously exploded. It exploded after going over a small bump
    (unevenness in the road, not a tram track or pothole) at the bottom of
    Camberwell road, Camberwell (Melbourne), south-east bound. I had
    barely noticed the bump, and it was certainly at most only a catalyst
    for the destruction of the bulb, and not the cause. I stopped and
    checked the bulb before putting in the 15W, and there was no foreign
    objects in the bulb or housing. Overheating wouldn't have been an
    issue, since the bike was being ridden downhill, and the air
    temperature was only 16 degrees. Issues with the battery would be
    very unlikely -- there were no further problems upon replacing the 5W
    bulb with my spare 15W bulb, and NiMH batteries don't create voltage
    surges. Inspection (shown in photographs linked herein) shows that
    the bulb disintigrated, taking out the front glass cover with it.

    As to the condition of the lights, and whether that may have a bearing
    on why the bulb exploded -- I've had the lights since early May. I've
    had the 5W on the bike continously, for about 2500km, with about 700km
    on the new bulb. That's about 30 hours of road time, and about 13
    hours of actual operation. The damage sustained to the 5W housing
    during the previous fall only affects the mounting area - there is no
    deformity near the bulb.

    These two shots illustrate the damage:

    http://pizza.homelinux.org/~tconnors/photos/misc/broken_niteflux/dscf0869_Med.jpg.1.html
    http://pizza.homelinux.org/~tconnors/photos/misc/broken_niteflux/dscf0887_Med.jpg.9.html

    Do you know the likely cause of the disintergration? While the MBTF
    (expected life-time) of the bulb is not in the hundreds of hours, 13
    hours is a very short time (compared to the figure I remember reading
    somewhere on niteflux.com.au), and I've never encountered such a
    drastic failure mode -- disintegration of the bulb and protective
    covering. It's quite dissapointing, given the cost to replace these
    bulbs!

    --

    Adrian Konings said:

    Hi Tim

    Thanks for your comments and support of the NiteFlux product.

    We did do extensive testing of the bracket over 8 month period before
    production never encounter this problem, the only time we could get it to
    fail in this way was when it was only half done up.

    The rubber griping pad at the bottom of the half cup part of the bracket
    prevents the bracket from slipping if the bracket is correctly tensioned.

    We take all customer comments under consideration and if we can improve the
    product we will.

    If you continue to have loosening problems let us know and we will look at
    the unit and see if there is a problem with it.

    Best Regards Adrian.Konings
    Product Manager
    The Bicycle Authority Pty Ltd

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Customer Self Service [[email hidden]]
    Sent: Monday, 15 August 2005 10:27 AM
    To: [email hidden]
    Subject: Web Site Contact Form

    Web Site Contact Form - Other

    User Name:
    Tim Connors

    User e-mail Address:
    [email protected]

    Company Name:

    Message:
    I have a niteflux 5/15 system which I love, but I would like to suggest an
    addition to any new light systems manufactured: A locking mechanism on the
    mount.

    I left very early yesterday morning, with the light securely in place. After
    a couple of hours of riding 40km/h on a rough road, the vibrations managed
    to work the light loose, and it met the tarmac at 50 km/h. Naturally, the
    globe was blown, but everything else remained intact. This has happened to
    me once before, and a friend of mine in the touring club once, and we've
    both only had our lights for 1-3 months. The globes are costly to replace
    before their time ought to be up, and I don't really want this to happen too
    often!

    POWERED by Customer Self Service, a Commerce Vision Pty. Ltd.
    <http://www.commercevision.com.au> product.

    --
    TimC
    Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall

    --
    TimC
    Error: Furry Pointer Exception

  2. TimC said:


    Quoted message said:

    I have a niteflux 5/15 system which I love, but I would like to suggest an
    addition to any new light systems manufactured: A locking mechanism on the
    mount.

    I left very early yesterday morning, with the light securely in place. After
    a couple of hours of riding 40km/h on a rough road, the vibrations managed
    to work the light loose, and it met the tarmac at 50 km/h. Naturally, the
    globe was blown, but everything else remained intact. This has happened to
    me once before, and a friend of mine in the touring club once, and we've
    both only had our lights for 1-3 months. The globes are costly to replace
    before their time ought to be up, and I don't really want this to happen too
    often!


    Same happened to me a few months ago except I noticed it was loose before the unit fell off the handlebars. I've fixed it with black nasty which doesn't look very elegant but does the job admirably.

    I haven't fed back so I'll do so today.

  3. Tim said:
    Quoted message said:

    I left very early yesterday morning, with the light securely in place. After
    a couple of hours of riding 40km/h on a rough road, the vibrations


    managed to work the light loose, and it met the tarmac at 50 km/h.
    Naturally, the globe was blown, but everything else remained intact. This
    has happened to me once before, and a friend of mine in the touring club
    once, and we've both only had our lights for 1-3 months. The globes are
    costly to replace before their time ought to be up, and I don't really want > this to happen too often!

    Euan said:

    Same happened to me a few months ago except I noticed it was loose
    before the unit fell off the handlebars. I've fixed it with black nasty which
    doesn't look very elegant but does the job admirably.

    Give em a call, I always find the telephone to be better in situations like this. I've got a niteflux as well, haven't had any problems with it loosening yet. Mine has a little black safety cap that goes on the end of the screw thread, to stop it falling off should the nut loosen.

    Also Tim, where has this TT form come from? "40kph for a couple of hours on a rough road" man that is honkin! You legend 🙂

    Adam

  4. On 2005-10-05, adam85 (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    Tim said:
    Quoted message said:

    I left very early yesterday morning, with the light securely in


    place. After

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a couple of hours of riding 40km/h on a rough road, the vibrations


    managed to work the light loose, and it met the tarmac at 50 km/h.


    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Also Tim, where has this TT form come from? "40kph for a couple of
    hours on a rough road" man that is honkin! You legend 🙂

    Heh.

    Most probably a tyop (couple of hours? More like an hour by that
    stage. And by that stage, probably 30 km/h). Don't quite remember,
    to be honest. I probably wrote it straight after a BR when my brane
    was shattered.

    --
    TimC
    "You can't trust any bugger further than you can
    throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it,
    so let's have a drink." -- Terry Pratchett

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "adam" == adam <adam85> writes:

    adam> Give em a call, I always find the telephone to be better in
    adam> situations like this. I've got a niteflux as well, haven't had
    adam> any problems with it loosening yet. Mine has a little black
    adam> safety cap that goes on the end of the screw thread, to stop
    adam> it falling off should the nut loosen.

    So does mine, didn't work though.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  6. Just blew some dosh on the Niteflux 5-LED tail light.
    Yes, super bright but the flash mode is about 1/sec, way slow.
    Dangerous in an early morning bunch.
    I shall be staying with the Cateye LD600, also 5-LED.
    Not super bright, just very bright and half the batteries (2 vs 4 AAA).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.