No gifts this year?

Jiyang Chen

Guest
After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
world. And I wanna win. No gifts."

Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

Armstrong and Basso are friends.... Also, I think it was more than old
Jan brought Landis back, i.e., pay back.

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
> kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
> top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
> said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
> Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
> this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
> bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
> world. And I wanna win. No gifts."
>
> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?
>

> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

No he didn't say that, but in hindsight, it looks like he may have out of
kindness. He is a nice guy.

Curt

As he have respect for Basso he won't say to everyone that he let him win
the stage because it could be humilating for Basso.
But for the respect of his whole team that play hard all day long to put
him on the head, and for the people that have been waiting during hours to
see them just during 5 or 10 seconds it's nice a see a real sprint, and not
a faked finish.

Le 22 Jul 2004 17:04:31 EDT, Jiyang Chen a écrit

> After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
> kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
> top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
> said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
> Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
> this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
> bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
> world. And I wanna win. No gifts."
>
> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

I would have to replay the stage interview but I don't remember LA saying he
gave the finish to Basso. I remember him saying that he was glad Basso won
but I could be wrong. I only remember a few possibly misquoted posts that
mentioned it was a gift.

What were his words?

ken

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
> kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
> top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
> said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
> Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
> this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
> bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
> world. And I wanna win. No gifts."
>
> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

The widely cited VeloNews article did not quote Armstrong saying that. It
said "Armstrong said that..."

I have been looking, in vain, for an actual verifyable quote of LA saying he
gave the stage to Basso.

Personally, I think he may have said he chose not to contest it. The
VeloNews writer may have then spun the statement to make it more dramatic.

RichC

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VgWLc.93$T9.73@trndny05...

> > Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?
> >

> No he didn't say that, but in hindsight, it looks like he may have out of
> kindness. He is a nice guy.

And our reporters have Lance on tape saying the following:

"It was a pleasure for me to let him win. Ivan deserved it. Perhaps I pulled
a little more but he is in super form. Off the bike, we're working a little
bit with the situation and trying to see if she can win her fight against
cancer. We don't talk about the race but we talk about his mom.... It was
pretty special for me to be out there with him."

<http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6605.0.html>

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

> The widely cited VeloNews article did not quote Armstrong saying that. It
> said "Armstrong said that..."
>
> I have been looking, in vain, for an actual verifyable quote of LA saying

he
> gave the stage to Basso.

And our reporters have Lance on tape saying the following: "It was a
pleasure for me to let him win. Ivan deserved it. Perhaps I pulled a little
more but he is in super form. Off the bike, we're working a little bit with
the situation and trying to see if she can win her fight against cancer. We
don't talk about the race but we talk about his mom.... It was pretty
special for me to be out there with him." - Editor

<http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6605.0.html>

> Personally, I think he may have said he chose not to contest it. The
> VeloNews writer may have then spun the statement to make it more dramatic.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VgWLc.93$T9.73@trndny05...

> > Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?
> >

> No he didn't say that, but in hindsight, it looks like he may have out of
> kindness. He is a nice guy.
>
> Curt

Pahhhhleeeeeeze.
I'm with Wadell, "c'mon TDF just be ****ing over"
Dave

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
> kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
> top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
> said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
> Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
> this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
> bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
> world. And I wanna win. No gifts."
>
> Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

as far as I know he hasn't admitted this yet. Although the NY Times today said
he had. And you know the Times is never wrong about anything.

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
> kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
> top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
> said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
> Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And

Ah, this is ********.
As much BS as the comment about Voigt "coming back from the break" to
make it sound like he got dropped from the break.
As much BS as the "we have an agreement to follow close behind in the ITT"

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:06:29 -0400, "TM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And our reporters have Lance on tape saying the following: "It was a
>pleasure for me to let him win. Ivan deserved it.

Which easily could have meant that he helped create the race dynamics
that resulted in the two of them at the finish and Basso winning.
We're parsing to a ridiculous degree comments made shortly after a
race.

What adds a touch of absurdity is some of the people that like to rag
on Lance for being inarticulate turn around and parse his comments as
if he collaborated with speech writers before taking the podium. Can't
have it both ways.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:06:29 -0400, "TM" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >And our reporters have Lance on tape saying the following: "It was a
> >pleasure for me to let him win. Ivan deserved it.

> Which easily could have meant that he helped create the race dynamics
> that resulted in the two of them at the finish and Basso winning.
> We're parsing to a ridiculous degree comments made shortly after a
> race.
>
> What adds a touch of absurdity is some of the people that like to rag
> on Lance for being inarticulate turn around and parse his comments as
> if he collaborated with speech writers before taking the podium. Can't
> have it both ways.

I have not tried to have it both ways. I am merely frustrated by these
people who are talking out of their asses without even bothering to be the
least bit informed.

There is the quote. Let's at least run the bases counter clockwise.

I read the quote and say that LA said he gave the stage to Basso. From the
subsequent events, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe
he did just that. I think someone or something persuaded LA to back away
from the statement and let it go away. I think that is a good idea.

I don't agree with your interpretation because, while it is plausible, it is
not likely.

"TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I read the quote and say that LA said he gave the stage to Basso.

You seem to not understand a basic premise here. You are suggesting
that had Lance tried he could have beaten Ivan. In fact, he said he
was tired and that Ivan was stronger. Commentators made the same
observations.

Lance saying that he "gave" the stage to Basso only means that he
didn't contend it and the reason for that was because on that day he
knew he couldn't win it. And of course that jibes precisely with what
he said.

> "TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> Lance saying that he "gave" the stage to Basso only means that he
> didn't contend it and the reason for that was because on that day he
> knew he couldn't win it. And of course that jibes precisely with what
> he said.

Why do we have to change the definition of the word gave just this one time
for this one person?