Noisey Drive Train!

rowskein

Feb 13, 2006
Anyone got any hints about what's going on?

I just replaced bottom bracket, chain set, front and rear derailleurs and rear cassette plus new chain. Seems to be making a lot of noise similar to the noise you get when you're between gears and it wont quite change. A constant clattering type noise when pedaling. There doesn't seem to be a spot any where that the noise will stop when tuning. Gear wise big cog front and bigger cogs at the back seem to quieten up a bit. Sorry it's not very scientific! Have i done something stupid here?

It's all shimano.

Shifters ST-6603
Read Derailleur RD-5600
Cassette CS-6600
Front Derailleur - FD-5603
Crankset FC-5603
Bottom Bracket - SM-FC5600
Chain CN-5600

Thanks,

Keith

rowskein said:
Anyone got any hints about what's going on?

I just replaced bottom bracket, chain set, front and rear derailleurs and rear cassette plus new chain. Seems to be making a lot of noise similar to the noise you get when you're between gears and it wont quite change. A constant clattering type noise when pedaling. There doesn't seem to be a spot any where that the noise will stop when tuning. Gear wise big cog front and bigger cogs at the back seem to quieten up a bit. Sorry it's not very scientific! Have i done something stupid here?

It's all shimano.

Shifters ST-6603
Read Derailleur RD-5600
Cassette CS-6600
Front Derailleur - FD-5603
Crankset FC-5603
Bottom Bracket - SM-FC5600
Chain CN-5600

Thanks,

Keith

Rear derailleur cable routed UNDER the RD fixing bolt, not thru the plate somehow?

Peter@vecchios said:
Rear derailleur cable routed UNDER the RD fixing bolt, not thru the plate somehow?
Not sure exactly what you mean! Have attached a couple of photo's of the RD, the cable tie is wide open and the gear cable is completely free to move. The bike has a polar power meter on it. Does that give any clues?

Thanks,

Keith.

rowskein said:
Have attached a couple of photo's of the RD, the cable tie is wide open and the gear cable is completely free to move. The bike has a polar power meter on it. Does that give any clues?
Sure does. In the second photo, look at how the chain passes between the two pulleys on the derailleur. The chain is passing on the wrong (outside) side of a tab on the inside cage of the derailleur, constantly rubbing the tab, making noise and friction.

You need to re-route the chain straight between the pulleys, either by breaking the chain or partially disassembling the derailleur cage, whichever is easier. Follow the chain manufacturer's instructions if you choose to break the chain.

Looks like a SRAM chain, so if you're using the powerlink it'll be easier to break the chain.

oldbobcat said:
Sure does. In the second photo, look at how the chain passes between the two pulleys on the derailleur. The chain is passing on the wrong (outside) side of a tab on the inside cage of the derailleur, constantly rubbing the tab, making noise and friction.

You need to re-route the chain straight between the pulleys, either by breaking the chain or partially disassembling the derailleur cage, whichever is easier. Follow the chain manufacturer's instructions if you choose to break the chain.

Looks like a SRAM chain, so if you're using the powerlink it'll be easier to break the chain.
:eek: Ha ha, thanks very much. I don't know why i didn't see that!!!!! I'm mildly embarrassed!

rowskein said:
Not sure exactly what you mean! Have attached a couple of photo's of the RD, the cable tie is wide open and the gear cable is completely free to move. The bike has a polar power meter on it. Does that give any clues?

Thanks,

Keith.

What oldbobcat said and unfasten the der cable at the derailleuyr, rotate the plate under the fixing bolt clockwise until the L shaped part of the plate is against the rear der then pull the cable under the plate, not thru the plate in any way.

Peter@vecchios said:
What oldbobcat said and unfasten the der cable at the derailleuyr, rotate the plate under the fixing bolt clockwise until the L shaped part of the plate is against the rear der then pull the cable under the plate, not thru the plate in any way.
Got it thanks guys. It's nice and quiet now :)