Froze said:Due to the fact that I didn't want something heavy on my back, thus the 70oz Camelback Rogue, if I was going on a long ride of over 75 miles I took a handlebar bag and stuffed it with whatever I needed for the ride such as the cable lock, lightweight sandals, lightweight jacket, and food. Thus the need for carry a backpack stuffed with all that in addition to carrying 4.2 pounds of water, or in the case of Sid Nitzerglobi carrying 6 pounds of water PLUS his gear, is not needed, and an aching back is not happening, and your center of gravity is not as bad due to at least 4 pounds off your back.
I also carry a expandable wedge seat bag. In that I carry a spare ultralight folding tire, spare tube, 6 glueless patches, a boot patch, mini tool, folding pliers, 2 tire irons, Quik Stik, keys, cell phone, 2 AA bats (in case the taillight bats die), $40 in cash, and personal and medical info. So all that weight is not on my back but in the seat bag.
You will have a much more comfortable ride if you go very minimalistic on your back, especially on long rides, and that's not to mention perhaps handling problems with the center of gravity a bit higher.
Just consider what I've said before strapping on that weight to your back. If your considering both ideas, simply take a standard backpack and put 8 pounds of weight in it and ride your bike for 50 miles and see how you feel afterwards; then imagine how you might feel after 100 miles.
I generally keep a spare tube, multi tool, tire levers, CO2 inflator and a couple cartridges and patch kit in my saddle bag. For a 75 mile ride I might fill the bladder 1/2 - 3/5 of the way (still more than 2 bottles worth of water), bring a frame pump and a 2nd spare tube, the sandals, a clif bar or two, first aid kit, wallet, keys, & phone (and maybe a rain jacket depending on the weather) and then the two bottles of Gatorade in the frame cages. It really doesn't wind up feeling bulky or weighty at all to me, but I used to do a good deal of multi-day backpacking trips w/ a whole lot more gear and much worse packs and my position on either bike is probably a bit more upright than many so YMMV.
It can start feeling noticeable on my back when I throw in the lock and cable, fill the bladder all the way, and have a bunch of other stuff in there but still it's a pretty well designed and stabilized little day pack and doesn't seem to mess w/ my balance at all.
If all you'll ever need out of it is a few bottles worth of water and space for keys, wallet, and phone then I agree that the smaller models probably make more sense.
.02