Noob Questions

Hmrhead

Jul 2, 2011
These may actually be answered somewhere, and if so, then please accept my apologies for my failure at searching.

That said, I am a soon-to-be 40yo guy in California who has just been informed by my doctor that I need a more active hobby. The last time I rode a bicycle, Sting was a nobody, but the Police were kinda cool. In fact, I think John Lennon might actually have still been alive, but I'm not positive. It was around then anyway. ;-)

So understanding that the rules have changed, I am looking for advice on jumping into cycling in a road type setting. I live in the central coast of California. There are few legal trails that are near me, and even though I would prefer mountain biking, I know that if it isn't somewhat convenient, I will likely not follow through with it. So...

I am just shy of 6ft tall. I weigh 292 pounds. I quit smoking six weeks ago, but something tells me I am about to regret the last twenty-eight years of that habit. Such is life I suppose. I don't have a desire to race per say, however, I would like to NOT be the guy that is last on every community ride I decide to join in the future. I visited a bike dealer today, but I didn't get a good vibe from the guy I spoke with. I understand his ultimate goal is to sell me something, and I'm cool with that, but I got the impression that he wanted to sell me something more than he wanted to make sure he sold me the right thing. (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, I am wondering if there are particulars that I should be looking for in a first bike given the fact that I am sub 300lbs and just starting out. Are there types of equipment I should stay away from? Are there rides that I should stay away from until I get more experience? Ya know. basic stuff. Greatly appreciate any advice you guys care to toss out there. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hmrhead .

These may actually be answered somewhere, and if so, then please accept my apologies for my failure at searching.

That said, I am a soon-to-be 40yo guy in California who has just been informed by my doctor that I need a more active hobby. The last time I rode a bicycle, Sting was a nobody, but the Police were kinda cool. In fact, I think John Lennon might actually have still been alive, but I'm not positive. It was around then anyway. ;-)

So understanding that the rules have changed, I am looking for advice on jumping into cycling in a road type setting. I live in the central coast of California. There are few legal trails that are near me, and even though I would prefer mountain biking, I know that if it isn't somewhat convenient, I will likely not follow through with it. So...

I am just shy of 6ft tall. I weigh 292 pounds. I quit smoking six weeks ago, but something tells me I am about to regret the last twenty-eight years of that habit. Such is life I suppose. I don't have a desire to race per say, however, I would like to NOT be the guy that is last on every community ride I decide to join in the future. I visited a bike dealer today, but I didn't get a good vibe from the guy I spoke with. I understand his ultimate goal is to sell me something, and I'm cool with that, but I got the impression that he wanted to sell me something more than he wanted to make sure he sold me the right thing. (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, I am wondering if there are particulars that I should be looking for in a first bike given the fact that I am sub 300lbs and just starting out. Are there types of equipment I should stay away from? Are there rides that I should stay away from until I get more experience? Ya know. basic stuff. Greatly appreciate any advice you guys care to toss out there. Thanks!
I started cycling recently and I too am looking for my first road bike because I made the mistake of starting with a flat bar performance road hybrid. What I know from searching: carbon frames are a smoother ride and a lot lighter but not as well suited for someone your weight (you'll lose it soon!). I am 240lbs and I am staying away from carbon because it is MUCH more expensive and I would hate for it to be cracked in a crash or something. I wouldnt suggest starting with a flat bar bike like I did and you should maybe get an aluminum bike with a carbon fork for the smoother ride of carbon without the huge price tag of full carbon bikes. Personally, I like the Specialized Allez and that will probably be my first road bike when I can finally save up the money (I'm a college student). As for rides, I would suggest riding 10 mile rides till you are comfortable then stepping it up from there. oh and get fitted at a local bike shop. Also, clipless pedals are great!

+1 Attlus

I too started riding to lose weight (from 330). I had been using weights & doing cardio for about a year, but wanted something more. I found a bike shop that wanted my money but also wanted to sell me something I liked. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro (a new, at that time, full carbon bike). I weighed 275 and have put about 8,000 miles on this bike with no problems. The one thing that you will probably have to upgrade are the wheels. My bike came with 20 spokes Dura-Ace wheels – the folks on this forum suggested that I change the wheels -- I went with 32 spoke, Velocity Deep V wheels built by Wheelbuilders.com. This is a very addicting sport and you can get as deep into is as you want (even without racing) – century rides, interval training, power meters .. very fun stuff. The a few things you may want to factor into your budget are: floor pump, extra tubes, bike shorts (this is an important one), bike jerseys, a few tools, maybe a bike computer, water bottles and cages, helmet, glasses, gloves, shoes, cleats, pedals and probably a few things I have left out. This is a great way to exercise, meet people and get in shape. And 40 is young.

Originally Posted by Jman .

+1 Attlus

I too started riding to lose weight (from 330). I had been using weights & doing cardio for about a year, but wanted something more. I found a bike shop that wanted my money but also wanted to sell me something I liked. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro (a new, at that time, full carbon bike). I weighed 275 and have put about 8,000 miles on this bike with no problems. The one thing that you will probably have to upgrade are the wheels. My bike came with 20 spokes Dura-Ace wheels – the folks on this forum suggested that I change the wheels -- I went with 32 spoke, Velocity Deep V wheels built by Wheelbuilders.com. This is a very addicting sport and you can get as deep into is as you want (even without racing) – century rides, interval training, power meters .. very fun stuff. The a few things you may want to factor into your budget are: floor pump, extra tubes, bike shorts (this is an important one), bike jerseys, a few tools, maybe a bike computer, water bottles and cages, helmet, glasses, gloves, shoes, cleats, pedals and probably a few things I have left out. This is a great way to exercise, meet people and get in shape. And 40 is young.

Thanks for the tips Jman! I actually made a decision on a bike today and will be fitted for it next Friday after I get back from my business trip. My local dealer is also making a stronger rear wheel for me just like yours did. He said the stock one would likely holy up fine but no sense tempting fate. ha

Anyway, I got a Giant Defy Advanced 4. Can't wait to get on the road!

Wow, I guess they don't trust me. lol I bought a bike. A Giant Defy Adanced 4. I tried attaching a picture to my post, but it said since I am new, my message must be moderated. That was days ago, and they still haven't "moderated" it. lol

Nice looking bike, though being a "Noob" and well into the Clydesdale range you may find the gearing insufficient. Hills are notoriously more difficult for heavier riders. After a few years of training, I rarely go to the small ring on my triple, but am glad to have it when I need it.

I weigh quite a bit less than you and I have used gear ratios as small as 32 rear 30 front for hilly rides on my road bike. I don't want to scare you away from your purchase, just be aware that if you find the hills too much you should look into swapping the cassette.

I'm not going to give you advice on a bike, but, on accessories that may keep you alive.
http://bontrager.com/model/08923
Front and rear lights for the bike. They are almost obnoxious in brightness, even on flash mode. If I'm on a road w/ traffic, I turn them on.
Other brands work as well, but, this is what I got for Christmas, so, it's the only one I can comment on.

Reactions: Groundhog2
I have to agree with frbock, the best investment in safety equipment (besides a helmet) is a light. Auto drivers are insanely preoccupied when driving, those lights wake them up. We have Magic Shine and love them. Easy on and easy off as we swap them between street and mountain bikes.

Happy trails!!