normalizing iliopsoas?

Paula

Guest
Hi,

I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
(contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).

She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
iliopsoas.

Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
suggestion?

Thx
Paula

>Subject: normalizing iliopsoas?

That's a nasty one allright. Read on for advice.

>and
>even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
>diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

Dr's are morons.

>Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
>(contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
>me.

I wouldn't go to a pschotherapist who'd go ballet dancing with you, that can't
be a good sign. But in any case, I suspect you need a whole team of them to
study you.

Try this, from the Julstro web site. It's helped me with my Psoas:

turn around at the sink - putting your calves up against the cabinet, and
your hips resting against the counter. Keep your hips and calves gently
touching the cabinet; also keep facing straight ahead, and lean back, moving
your upper back over the sink. Be aware to keep the pressure the same on
your hips and calves, if you feel it increasing you will know you are
leaning back with your lower body. Also, check to make sure that your weight
is evenly distributed on your feet and you aren't leaning back onto your
heels. It helps if you place your hands on your stomach and lift up your
chest, stretching your abdominal muscles. This will raise the spine a bit
before you lean back. Do this movement 10 times

On the last stretch bend forward, arching your back and moving your hips
side to side.

Paula wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Hi,
>
>I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
>29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
>even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
>diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.
>
>Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
>(contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
>me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
>realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
>shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
>stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).
>
>She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
>in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
>the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
>feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
>honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
>seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
>imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
>iliopsoas.
>
>Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
>for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
>help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
>also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
>suggestion?
>
>Thx
>Paula

<< I wouldn't go to a pschotherapist who'd go ballet dancing with you, that
can't
be a good sign. >>

how come? can't do pliees? gives one that bow-legged effect, comes in handy
for many things. try some barre stuff. hope that helps.

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

>Re: normalizing iliopsoas?

Just get a shot of Penicillin, it'll clear those sores on your pecker right up.

>how come? can't do pliees?

No, it's just he's supposed to be curing the guy of his homosexuality, and to
be going out dancing with him (even ballroom dancing) is stepping over the line
(pun intended)

> try some barre stuff.

See there again THAT'S JUST WRONG! He shouldn't be doing anything bare or
dressed with his shrink except that one hour of therapy, and that should be
dressed too.

<< He shouldn't be doing anything bare or
dressed with his shrink except that one hour of therapy, and that should be
dressed too.>>

gotcha. *checking zipper*

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

<< No, it's just he's supposed to be curing the guy of his homosexuality >>

By the way, recently, I've heard some good things about Conversion Therapy.

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

>By the way, recently, I've heard some good things about Conversion Therapy.

Well I can understand lopping it off to make a guy a woman, but I still
haven't figured out how they sew one on to make her a he.

>gotcha. *checking zipper*

More importantly, check your shrinks zipper.

<< Well I can understand lopping it off to make a guy a woman, but I still
haven't figured out how they sew one on to make her a he. >>

they amputate yours, silly! it's a transplant operation. these daze, with
immusuppression-therapy advances, there is much success.

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

Bill, watch out, wake up, roll over, realize, don't ratinoalize!

Pirates are using your AOL account!

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

>Pirates are using your AOL account!

Argh matie, avast ye sails, hoist ye parrot, drop the anchors!

>they amputate yours, silly!

Admittedly I have enough for two men, but if what you're saying is true, then
they have to find enough guys to be willing to have it lopped off to match the
number of girls who want one, and from what I've read about penis envy that
doesn't seem likely.

In sci.med Paula <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hi,

: I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
: 29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
: even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
: diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

There is a yoga expert who has written a book on the psoas.

I tore my psoas at age 19.

Nasty injury.

I am still payning for it 14 years later.

1. keep it strong; do weights.
2. keep it stretched out; avoid static positions for long periods
(standing, sitting).
3. get help with assisted stretching from a physiotherapist. They can use
"muscle energy techniques".
4. Laser works for the inner thigh/groin/pelvic pain.

Emma

Are you looking to find a general lower body stretching program?

"Paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
> 29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
> even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
> diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.
>
> Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
> (contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
> me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
> realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
> shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
> stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).
>
> She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
> in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
> the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
> feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
> honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
> seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
> imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
> iliopsoas.
>
> Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
> for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
> help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
> also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
> suggestion?
>
> Thx
> Paula

<< Emma >>

welcome ADDer! crossing over?

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

<< Admittedly I have enough for two men >>

tell me more.

<< from what I've read about penis envy that doesn't seem likely. >>

you got Venus Envy? at least I have a toy penis. you got a toy venus?

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

Paula,

First I'd check out Aaron Mattes website: www.stretchingusa.com You
might want to invest in the Active Isolated Stretching DVD.

A book I'd suggest you can get from http://www.abe.com. It is a book
called Look Better Feel Better by Bess Mensendieck. It's out of print
but there are many copies available from $5 on up. Great exercises.

Remember the most important strech for the psoas is correct posture.
If you are slouching, the psoas shortens.

An interesting fact is that you know the psoas by its French name:
filet mignon.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Mindful Running:
http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp