normalizing iliopsoas?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paula, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Paula

    Paula Guest

    Hi,

    I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
    29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
    even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
    diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

    Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
    (contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
    me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
    realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
    shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
    stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).

    She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
    in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
    the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
    feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
    honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
    seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
    imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
    iliopsoas.

    Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
    for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
    help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
    also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
    suggestion?

    Thx
    Paula

    Tags:

  2. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Subject: normalizing iliopsoas?

    That's a nasty one allright. Read on for advice.

    >and
    >even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
    >diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

    Dr's are morons.

    >Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
    >(contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
    >me.

    I wouldn't go to a pschotherapist who'd go ballet dancing with you, that can't
    be a good sign. But in any case, I suspect you need a whole team of them to
    study you.

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Try this, from the Julstro web site. It's helped me with my Psoas:

    turn around at the sink - putting your calves up against the cabinet, and
    your hips resting against the counter. Keep your hips and calves gently
    touching the cabinet; also keep facing straight ahead, and lean back, moving
    your upper back over the sink. Be aware to keep the pressure the same on
    your hips and calves, if you feel it increasing you will know you are
    leaning back with your lower body. Also, check to make sure that your weight
    is evenly distributed on your feet and you aren't leaning back onto your
    heels. It helps if you place your hands on your stomach and lift up your
    chest, stretching your abdominal muscles. This will raise the spine a bit
    before you lean back. Do this movement 10 times

    On the last stretch bend forward, arching your back and moving your hips
    side to side.

    Paula wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
    >29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
    >even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
    >diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.
    >
    >Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
    >(contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
    >me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
    >realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
    >shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
    >stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).
    >
    >She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
    >in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
    >the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
    >feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
    >honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
    >seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
    >imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
    >iliopsoas.
    >
    >Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
    >for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
    >help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
    >also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
    >suggestion?
    >
    >Thx
    >Paula

  4. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << I wouldn't go to a pschotherapist who'd go ballet dancing with you, that
    can't
    be a good sign. >>

    how come? can't do pliees? gives one that bow-legged effect, comes in handy
    for many things. try some barre stuff. hope that helps.

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  5. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Re: normalizing iliopsoas?

    Just get a shot of Penicillin, it'll clear those sores on your pecker right up.

  6. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >how come? can't do pliees?

    No, it's just he's supposed to be curing the guy of his homosexuality, and to
    be going out dancing with him (even ballroom dancing) is stepping over the line
    (pun intended)

  7. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    > try some barre stuff.

    See there again THAT'S JUST WRONG! He shouldn't be doing anything bare or
    dressed with his shrink except that one hour of therapy, and that should be
    dressed too.

  8. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << He shouldn't be doing anything bare or
    dressed with his shrink except that one hour of therapy, and that should be
    dressed too.>>

    gotcha. *checking zipper*

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  9. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << No, it's just he's supposed to be curing the guy of his homosexuality >>

    By the way, recently, I've heard some good things about Conversion Therapy.

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  10. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >By the way, recently, I've heard some good things about Conversion Therapy.

    Well I can understand lopping it off to make a guy a woman, but I still
    haven't figured out how they sew one on to make her a he.

  11. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >gotcha. *checking zipper*

    More importantly, check your shrinks zipper.

  12. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << Well I can understand lopping it off to make a guy a woman, but I still
    haven't figured out how they sew one on to make her a he. >>

    they amputate yours, silly! it's a transplant operation. these daze, with
    immusuppression-therapy advances, there is much success.

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  13. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    Bill, watch out, wake up, roll over, realize, don't ratinoalize!

    Pirates are using your AOL account!

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  14. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Pirates are using your AOL account!

    Argh matie, avast ye sails, hoist ye parrot, drop the anchors!

  15. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >they amputate yours, silly!

    Admittedly I have enough for two men, but if what you're saying is true, then
    they have to find enough guys to be willing to have it lopped off to match the
    number of girls who want one, and from what I've read about penis envy that
    doesn't seem likely.

  16. In sci.med Paula <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
    : 29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
    : even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
    : diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.

    There is a yoga expert who has written a book on the psoas.

    I tore my psoas at age 19.

    Nasty injury.

    I am still payning for it 14 years later.

    1. keep it strong; do weights.
    2. keep it stretched out; avoid static positions for long periods
    (standing, sitting).
    3. get help with assisted stretching from a physiotherapist. They can use
    "muscle energy techniques".
    4. Laser works for the inner thigh/groin/pelvic pain.

    Emma

  17. Are you looking to find a general lower body stretching program?

    "Paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ng.google.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been living with low back and thigh pain for almost 15 years (I'm
    > 29 now). The symptons got chronically worse in the last 2-3 years, and
    > even after a LOT of doctors (since i was +/- 15), no conclusive
    > diagnosis neither sucessful treatment was found.
    >
    > Recently, a physiotherapist who also does some dance classes with me
    > (contemporary ballet and jazz) accepted the challenge to try to treat
    > me. After 3 or 4 wrong guesses about the source of the pain, she
    > realized that "something is wrong with your iliopsoas muscle": it was
    > shortened. This was quite surprising, because I have extremelly high
    > stretching and mobility in legs, hip and groin (negative grand des car).
    >
    > She then tought me how to relax and stretch this muscle (laying down
    > in the end of table, holding one knee against the chest and letting
    > the other leg fall down). I've been doing this for two weeks now. I'm
    > feeling some real difference for the first time, though, I must be
    > honest, muscles that didn't used to sore now are soring, while others
    > seems to be relaxing. I think this is more than expected, I can
    > imagine that some muscles may had become weaker due to the tight
    > iliopsoas.
    >
    > Well, in one week I'm going abroad for a 6 months stay and I'm looking
    > for exercises or stretching that I can I do alone, by myself, that can
    > help me to continue normalizing this situation. She is looking for me
    > also but I thought that maybe anyone of you has some ideia or
    > suggestion?
    >
    > Thx
    > Paula

  18. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << Emma >>

    welcome ADDer! crossing over?

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  19. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << Admittedly I have enough for two men >>

    tell me more.

    << from what I've read about penis envy that doesn't seem likely. >>

    you got Venus Envy? at least I have a toy penis. you got a toy venus?

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  20. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    Paula,

    First I'd check out Aaron Mattes website: www.stretchingusa.com You
    might want to invest in the Active Isolated Stretching DVD.

    A book I'd suggest you can get from http://www.abe.com. It is a book
    called Look Better Feel Better by Bess Mensendieck. It's out of print
    but there are many copies available from $5 on up. Great exercises.

    Remember the most important strech for the psoas is correct posture.
    If you are slouching, the psoas shortens.

    An interesting fact is that you know the psoas by its French name:
    filet mignon.

    In health and on the run,
    Ozzie Gontang
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
    Mindful Running:
    http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp