not about mountain biking: two new bikes (but it's for charity!)

On 2004-08-09, Monique Y. Mudama penned:
> The road bike, um, it looks like a road bike and stuff. The shifters
> are on the top tube.

Update: more careful inspection of the lettering reveals that it's a KHS
aero turbo, whatever that means.

And yes, as someone pointed out, the shifters are actually on the
downtube. They are marked Sun Tour. The bike is hot pink with a white
seat tube. After reading Sheldon Brown's write-up of Sun Tour, and
considering the coloration, I guess that would place the bike probably
in the 80s?

Yes, I know you were all dying to hear these details =)

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-11, SuperSlinky penned:
>
>>It is amazing how quickly a thread about a super cheap used bike
>>bought on a whim morphed into a contest about the lightest and most
>>expensive.

> Yes, but are there light and expensive bikes *hot pink*?!

My wife's is.
OK, well its not the lightest, and it really wasn't *that* expensive,
but its very pink!

> So there. And stuff.
>
> Eric is mildly unhappy because his car lives outside right now (actually
> because we bought motorcycles) and he claims that I'm filling the garage
> faster than he can organize it so that his car could live indoors again.
> I pointed out to him that it's not hard to move faster than zero ...

What kind of "bikes" did you get?

On 2004-08-11, scurry penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but are there light and expensive bikes *hot pink*?!

> My wife's is. OK, well its not the lightest, and it really wasn't
> *that* expensive, but its very pink!

Indeed.

>> Eric is mildly unhappy because his car lives outside right now
>> (actually because we bought motorcycles) and he claims that I'm
>> filling the garage faster than he can organize it so that his car
>> could live indoors again. I pointed out to him that it's not hard to
>> move faster than zero ...

> What kind of "bikes" did you get?

If you mean the motorcycles, I got a 1996 bmw r1100r and Eric got a new
honda cbr600rr.

--

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> On 2004-08-11, scurry penned:
>
>>Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, but are there light and expensive bikes *hot pink*?!

>>My wife's is. OK, well its not the lightest, and it really wasn't
>>*that* expensive, but its very pink!

> Indeed.
>

>>>Eric is mildly unhappy because his car lives outside right now
>>>(actually because we bought motorcycles) and he claims that I'm
>>>filling the garage faster than he can organize it so that his car
>>>could live indoors again. I pointed out to him that it's not hard to
>>>move faster than zero ...

>>What kind of "bikes" did you get?

> If you mean the motorcycles, I got a 1996 bmw r1100r and Eric got a new
> honda cbr600rr.

Ooh does the green show through usenet? I had a CBR600F (used to call
'em "Hurricanes" in my day). Stolen from my apartment parking lot in
Boulder. :-(
I sold my last motorcycle for flying lessons a dozen years ago, but just
yesterday Susie was looking at them in the want ads. Hmmm...

Shawn

scurry sez:

>Ooh does the green show through usenet? I had a CBR600F (used to call
>'em "Hurricanes" in my day). Stolen from my apartment parking lot in
>Boulder. :-(

Weird, my green motorcycle was stolen from the parking lot of my
apartment when I was in college. But, it was a Kawasaki KDX400 and
twenty something years ago. It might not have been the same thief.

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO

Monique Y. Mudama said...

> Yes, but are there light and expensive bikes *hot pink*?!

No. If you want light, expensive and tasteless, you have to go custom.
:p

> I pointed out to him that it's not hard to move faster than zero ...

Ooh, that's cold. Just remember that just like it is a woman's
prerogative to change her mind, procrastination and sloth are a man's
prerogative.

On 2004-08-11, scurry penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>> If you mean the motorcycles, I got a 1996 bmw r1100r and Eric got a
>> new honda cbr600rr.

> Ooh does the green show through usenet? I had a CBR600F (used to call
> 'em "Hurricanes" in my day). Stolen from my apartment parking lot in
> Boulder. :-( I sold my last motorcycle for flying lessons a dozen
> years ago, but just yesterday Susie was looking at them in the want
> ads. Hmmm...

Hmmm, indeed.

I'm still figuring out what I think about the whole deal. I don't have
that "must ride" impulse that so many motorcyclists seem to have and
that seems like the only viable justification for engaging traffic in
such an exposed manner. I always choose mountain bike over motorcycle,
which means I haven't gotten much chance to ride. But there's
definitely something about it ...

Eric has dreamed about having a motorcycle for years and is happy as a
clam.

I had a weird dream Monday night that combined a motorcycle
round-the-country relay event with attempting to ride mountain trails on
a road bicycle. Kept getting pinch flats on the bicycle and got really
sick of changing tubes. I think the motorcycle event involved carrying
a stuffed animal around. Of course, in my dream-state, the motorcycle
and mountain biking events were connected.

On 2004-08-12, SuperSlinky penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama said...
>
>> Yes, but are there light and expensive bikes *hot pink*?!

> No. If you want light, expensive and tasteless, you have to go custom.
>:p

My Titus four-color glossy shows a pink paint option for the racer-x ...

>> I pointed out to him that it's not hard to move faster than zero ...

> Ooh, that's cold. Just remember that just like it is a woman's
> prerogative to change her mind, procrastination and sloth are a man's
> prerogative.

Funny, I'm pretty good at all of the above. So is Eric.

(Of course, he keeps rejecting all my good ideas. Building an obstacle
course in the back yard. Filling in the space between sidewalk and
street with dirt whoop de doos. He didn't outright reject my idea of
building an attachment onto the back door of the garage and having a
bike workshop there, though ... not yet ...)

--

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-11, scurry penned:
>

> Hmmm, indeed.
>
> I'm still figuring out what I think about the whole deal. I don't have
> that "must ride" impulse that so many motorcyclists seem to have and
> that seems like the only viable justification for engaging traffic in
> such an exposed manner. I always choose mountain bike over motorcycle,
> which means I haven't gotten much chance to ride. But there's
> definitely something about it ...
>
> Eric has dreamed about having a motorcycle for years and is happy as a
> clam.

Oh to be young without kids! You just wait!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On 2004-08-12, Ride-A-Lot penned:

> Oh to be young without kids! You just wait!

For what? They're not in the game plan. The best laid plans and all
that, but for now and the foreseeable future, I'm a happy DINK.

--

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-12, Ride-A-Lot penned:
>>
>> Oh to be young without kids! You just wait!

> For what? They're not in the game plan. The best laid plans and all
> that, but for now and the foreseeable future, I'm a happy DINK.

Have you made that permanent? Otherwise there are no guarantees.

penny

On 2004-08-12, pas penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> On 2004-08-12, Ride-A-Lot penned:
>>>
>>> Oh to be young without kids! You just wait!

>> For what? They're not in the game plan. The best laid plans and all
>> that, but for now and the foreseeable future, I'm a happy DINK.

> Have you made that permanent? Otherwise there are no guarantees.

Even folks who've "made that permanent" have sometimes found that there
are no guarantees. The only guarantee is abstinence, and what fun is
that?

No, we haven't resorted to surgery -- leaving room to change our minds.
I'm only 26, after all, lots of time to have priorities change and
whatnot.

Without going into details, I don't expect to get an uninvited visit
from the stork. If that happened, of course we'd have to figure out
what to do about that.