General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Not being allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 332 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 January 2005
Last activity
30 January 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
332
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans. I
    accidentally broke someone's foot in half the other day when I slung
    the bar in front of me, so management has decided to crack down on me.
    Hah, no, but seriously, I like most other people who go to normal gyms
    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist level.
    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans. I
    accidentally broke someone's foot in half the other day when I slung
    the bar in front of me, so management has decided to crack down on


    me.

    Quoted message said:

    Hah, no, but seriously, I like most other people who go to normal


    gyms

    Quoted message said:

    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist level.
    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

    Oh, nevermind, I could always use the pins from the squat rack for max
    lifts. Just means I have to walk forward a couple of steps.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans. I
    accidentally broke someone's foot in half the other day when I slung
    the bar in front of me, so management has decided to crack down on me.
    Hah, no, but seriously, I like most other people who go to normal gyms
    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist level.
    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

    No. You should learn how to catch the bar.

    --
    Keith

  4. Hobbes said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans. I
    accidentally broke someone's foot in half the other day when I


    slung

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the bar in front of me, so management has decided to crack down on


    me.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hah, no, but seriously, I like most other people who go to normal


    gyms

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist


    level.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

    No. You should learn how to catch the bar.

    --
    Keith

    I do the catch the bar on my shoulders/upper chest area. But, then, I
    have to let it "fall" down back to my waist area before I set it back
    down. On a max power clean, it would seem better simply to be able to
    throw the bar down or set it on something like on pins.

  5. Quoted message said:

    I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans. I
    accidentally broke someone's foot in half the other day when I slung
    the bar in front of me, so management has decided to crack down on


    me.

    Quoted message said:

    Hah, no, but seriously, I like most other people who go to normal


    gyms

    Quoted message said:

    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist level.
    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

    My gym has a platform and bumpers so I could drop the bar when I do
    cleans, but I still don't. I want to be able to do the same workout
    even when I don't have access to bumpers, so I just catch the bar
    anyway so I get used to it. I just drop the bar to waist level and dip
    the knees a bit to help catch it gently and then lower it to the floor.
    I do this for all my reps, including the heaviest ones, and have never
    had a problem. My philosophy is that the clean and jerk (and its many
    variations) have been around a lot longer than rubber plates - if the
    old-school guys could lower the bar under control, so can you.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I'm not allowed to throw the bar down when doing Power Cleans.

    Quoted message said:

    I assume have to "catch" the bar back down at just below waist level.
    Could this affect the shoulders negatively with max lifts?

    Shoulders and/or elbows when it's done wrong.

    Let the bar bump the thighs on the way down.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.