Not enough clearance...

Tacomaboy

Guest
I weigh 230 to 235 depending on what I had for breakfast, and I am riding a 2000 Rockhopper FSR. Not
a bad bike, and plan on upgrading components to Shimano XTs a bit at a time. The biggest (and really
only serious) problem I have had with this bike is its very low clearance. I am still pretty new at
this and I am learning how to clear objects better. Bit I find I still grind pedals often and I also
scrape my large gear on platforms more than 8" high. I assume I need to replace my rear shock spring
(Fox Vanailla cranked to max). Any other ideas? Shorter cranks? Lose weight (Im working on this
one). Is there a technique I need to use that I am not aware of? I have already pretty much chewed
up my Time pedals, though they still work well. I really dont want to keep losing my large ring on
these rocks. No serious damage yet, but I suspect its coming.

"TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I weigh 230 to 235 depending on what I had for breakfast, and I am riding a 2000 Rockhopper FSR.
> Not a bad bike, and plan on upgrading components to Shimano XTs a bit at a time. The biggest (and
> really only serious) problem I have had with this bike is its very low clearance. I am still
> pretty new at this and I am learning how to clear objects better. Bit I find I still grind pedals
> often and I also scrape my large gear on platforms more than 8" high. I assume I need to replace
> my rear shock spring (Fox Vanailla cranked to max). Any other ideas? Shorter cranks? Lose weight
> (Im working on this one). Is there a technique I need to use that I am not aware of? I have
> already pretty much chewed up my Time pedals, though they still work well. I really dont want to
> keep losing my large ring on these rocks. No serious damage yet, but I suspect its coming.

Here are some thoughts. You need to look at your suspension, of course, but it might be
something else.

Your bike might be plagued with a "too low bottom bracket" which is the bane of Sp Enduros. Not much
you can do about that except get a new bike. However, if it's just pedal bang, learning how to
stutter your pedal stroke to avoid colliding with rocks, etc. is worth the effort. Another thing
could be to scrap the big ring and install a bash guard in its place. Cheaper yet, just grind the
teeth off the big ring and let it be your bash guard. A little derraileur/shifter adjustment to keep
from shifting onto the bash guard is all it takes.

Another remote possibility is look at crank length. If you're at 180mm, go down to 175. If you're at
175, consider 170's.

Or you could go over to the dark side and just ride paved bike paths! (just kidding)

Paladin

Paladin wrote:
> "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I weigh 230 to 235 depending on what I had for breakfast, and I am riding a 2000 Rockhopper FSR.
>>Not a bad bike, and plan on upgrading components to Shimano XTs a bit at a time. The biggest (and
>>really only serious) problem I have had with this bike is its very low clearance. I am still
>>pretty new at this and I am learning how to clear objects better. Bit I find I still grind pedals
>>often and I also scrape my large gear on platforms more than 8" high. I assume I need to replace
>>my rear shock spring (Fox Vanailla cranked to max). Any other ideas? Shorter cranks? Lose weight
>>(Im working on this one). Is there a technique I need to use that I am not aware of? I have
>>already pretty much chewed up my Time pedals, though they still work well. I really dont want to
>>keep losing my large ring on these rocks. No serious damage yet, but I suspect its coming.
>

> Here are some thoughts. You need to look at your suspension, of course, but it might be
> something else.
>
> Your bike might be plagued with a "too low bottom bracket" which is the bane of Sp Enduros. Not
> much you can do about that except get a new bike. However, if it's just pedal bang, learning how
> to stutter your pedal stroke to avoid colliding with rocks, etc. is worth the effort. Another
> thing could be to scrap the big ring and install a bash guard in its place. Cheaper yet, just
> grind the teeth off the big ring and let it be your bash guard. A little derraileur/shifter
> adjustment to keep from shifting onto the bash guard is all it takes.

Or, get something like the tooth fairy which bolts outside the big ring and provides protection (you
should see all the wear and dents in mine
:)). You only need to do this if you actually use your big ring -- if
not, why not let it become a bash ring? Since a bash ring is bigger than your big chainring, you'll
hit a little more often, but when you hit, you won't do any damage. I now let my rings slam into a
log without worry (other than making sure that my weight's back and I'm lifting my front wheel :)).

I also agree with the pedal stuttering. It took me quite a while and my pedals still get bashed-up,
but learning to position your pedals as you ride is important. Especially on difficult climbs where
you can't afford to hit because that little momentum loss means that you stop moving.

> Another remote possibility is look at crank length. If you're at 180mm, go down to 175. If you're
> at 175, consider 170's.

Very remote...

> Or you could go over to the dark side and just ride paved bike paths! (just kidding)
>
> Paladin

David.