Road Cycling · Public discussion

note to self (may be helpful to you, too)

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 47 posts · 2,328 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 November 2005
Last activity
4 December 2005
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
47
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,328
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 47
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want
    the details of your commute to work. They also do not want to hear about
    previous heroic rides through various sorts of winter weather. They
    especially don't want to know about studded bike tires, thermal jerseys, and
    the like.
    Rather, the reason they are asking this question is two-fold:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    The correct response to this query is a quick, "No, it was only lightly
    sleeting this morning, when I left the house", or similar short observation
    about the weather in the vicinity of your residence. Then, turn the
    conversation back to them with, "Was it snowing where you live?"

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. Unfortunatly I have yet to find employment in an establishment close
    enough to home that would allow me to commute via bicycle, regardless of
    weather conditions.

    HOWEVER...

    Should the situation arise in the future, Claire, I will keep your
    observations in mind. Thanks §:-3)>

    - -

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  3. From your many posts, I would assume you've established your reputation by
    now and they don't need to ask. But maybe you manage to look fresher after
    your commutes than I do.

    No one has to ask me. When I come into the office on a cold winter day with
    blue jeans that may have wet legs, a windburned face, and an appropriate
    number of layers of shirts and sweaters, the message is clear!

    "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want
    the details of your commute to work. They also do not want to hear about
    previous heroic rides through various sorts of winter weather. They
    especially don't want to know about studded bike tires, thermal jerseys,
    and the like.
    Rather, the reason they are asking this question is two-fold:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    The correct response to this query is a quick, "No, it was only lightly
    sleeting this morning, when I left the house", or similar short
    observation about the weather in the vicinity of your residence. Then,
    turn the conversation back to them with, "Was it snowing where you live?"

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  4. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not
    want the details of your commute to work. They also do not want to
    hear about previous heroic rides through various sorts of winter
    weather. They especially don't want to know about studded bike tires,
    thermal jerseys, and the like.

    Really? I thought everyone in my office was just thrilled to hear about my
    exploits, from sirrocos to nor'easters, battling the mad Manhattan traffic,
    and foiling would-be bicycle thieves. Guess I've been wrong these past
    five years. Oh well.

    --ag

  5. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The correct response to this query is a quick, "No, it was only lightly
    sleeting this morning, when I left the house", or similar short
    observation about the weather in the vicinity of your residence. Then,
    turn the conversation back to them with, "Was it snowing where you live?"

    Interesting that when people's eyes glaze over, it actually makes an audible
    sound, like the crackle of surface ice on a pond.

    RichC

  6. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not
    want the details of your commute to work. They also do not want to hear
    about previous heroic rides through various sorts of winter weather.
    They especially don't want to know about studded bike tires, thermal
    jerseys, and the like.
    Rather, the reason they are asking this question is two-fold:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    The correct response to this query is a quick, "No, it was only lightly
    sleeting this morning, when I left the house", or similar short
    observation about the weather in the vicinity of your residence. Then,
    turn the conversation back to them with, "Was it snowing where you
    live?"

    XD

  7. Ron Wallenfang said:

    No one has to ask me. When I come into the office on a cold winter day with
    blue jeans that may have wet legs, a windburned face, and an appropriate
    number of layers of shirts and sweaters, the message is clear!

    I was riding in shorts yesterday in (barely) sub-freezing
    temperatures, but I have to agree with your co-workers - if you ride
    to work in the cold AND wet wearing jeans, you're a sicko...

    They don't call cotton the "fabric of death" for nothing....

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Hickey said:

    They don't call cotton the "fabric of death" for nothing....

    And gabardine is the fabric of ScotchGuard lasting for a long time.

    ScotchGuard works great on umbrellas, BTW.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  9. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    You mean they haven't already worked that one out?

    It's below freezing on this side of the pond this morning (my bit of it
    anyway), so I'm getting the 'bent trike out for a ride!

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  10. I've had this conversation a number of times over the years. Suffice it to
    say that I've found nothing more comfortable than cotton year in and year
    out. It may make me look eternally like a [fill in your term], but I remain
    mostly wedded to it, though I do sometimes use wool socks, liners for my
    heavy leather mittens, and sweaters.

    I suppose there are also issues of stubborness and culture mixed in there.

    "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ron Wallenfang said:

    No one has to ask me. When I come into the office on a cold winter day
    with
    blue jeans that may have wet legs, a windburned face, and an appropriate
    number of layers of shirts and sweaters, the message is clear!

    I was riding in shorts yesterday in (barely) sub-freezing
    temperatures, but I have to agree with your co-workers - if you ride
    to work in the cold AND wet wearing jeans, you're a sicko...

    They don't call cotton the "fabric of death" for nothing....

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Hickey said:
    Ron Wallenfang said:

    No one has to ask me. When I come into the office on a cold winter day with
    blue jeans that may have wet legs, a windburned face, and an appropriate
    number of layers of shirts and sweaters, the message is clear!

    I was riding in shorts yesterday in (barely) sub-freezing
    temperatures, but I have to agree with your co-workers - if you ride
    to work in the cold AND wet wearing jeans, you're a sicko...

    They don't call cotton the "fabric of death" for nothing....

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

    WHAT?

    I did not know it was allowed to freeze in the Valley of the Sun.
    Oh! The inhumanity of it!

    HAND

  12. Claire Petersky said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want
    the details of your commute to work.

    Quoted message said:

    Rather, the reason they are asking this question is two-fold:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    What you say is true in my experience, but I think there is something in
    human nature that admires the eccentric, or perhaps lives vicariously
    through it.

    When the weather turns bad, my wife's co-workers always seem
    disappointed if she drove that day. Many have confessed that they would
    like to follow her example, although none have.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    H M Leary said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Hickey said:
    Ron Wallenfang said:

    No one has to ask me. When I come into the office on a cold winter day
    with
    blue jeans that may have wet legs, a windburned face, and an appropriate
    number of layers of shirts and sweaters, the message is clear!

    I was riding in shorts yesterday in (barely) sub-freezing
    temperatures, but I have to agree with your co-workers - if you ride
    to work in the cold AND wet wearing jeans, you're a sicko...

    They don't call cotton the "fabric of death" for nothing....

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

    WHAT?

    I did not know it was allowed to freeze in the Valley of the Sun.
    Oh! The inhumanity of it!

    I remember visiting my snowbirding grandfather in Lake Havasu City at
    Christmas.

    We could go into the backyard on bright, sunny mornings, days where the
    temperature was destined to peak in, oh, probably the low 70s (most
    Arizonans idea of sweater weather) and the oranges we picked off the
    trees were nearly ice-cold from the overnight cold temperatures.

    Yes, pre-chilled fresh-picked oranges, growing in the back yard. Arizona
    does have its perks.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want
    the details of your commute to work. They also do not want to hear about
    previous heroic rides through various sorts of winter weather. They
    especially don't want to know about studded bike tires, thermal jerseys, and
    the like.
    Rather, the reason they are asking this question is two-fold:

    How much do the studded tires (were you using them?) save you? I was
    under the impression that nothing much works very well in the sort of
    messy slush conditions that prevail locally, and my standard commuting
    rules say that when snow is predicted for morning or afternoon, I take
    the bus.

    Quoted message said:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    I've been making the worst small talk lately. I'm annoying my co-workers
    this week with the travels of a Thanksgiving-delayed UPS parcel.

    Quoted message said:

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    The correct response to this query is a quick, "No, it was only lightly
    sleeting this morning, when I left the house", or similar short observation
    about the weather in the vicinity of your residence. Then, turn the
    conversation back to them with, "Was it snowing where you live?"

    I get a lot of incredulity about riding in the rain at this time of
    year, to which my stock answer is "I don't melt," or "I'm not the wicked
    witch of the East," or words to that effect.

    Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dead of night, but I draw the line at snow,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  15. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    How much do the studded tires (were you using them?) save you?

    Don't ask me, I've never used them. Doesn't Zoot own a set?

    Quoted message said:

    I was
    under the impression that nothing much works very well in the sort of
    messy slush conditions that prevail locally,

    Knobbies on a wide mountain bike tire seem to be the consensus.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  16. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want


    ----clip---

    Quoted message said:

    How much do the studded tires (were you using them?) save you?

    They work well in snow but then so do most tires.(Mine are Nokias for a
    mtb.) The real advantage is, as you might expect, in handling icy
    conditions. There, they are a tremendous improvement. Freezing
    rain/sleet is much less of a worry as are frozen puddles.

    I don't know if you get those slippery polished patches of snow worn
    into ice from spinning car tires at stop signs but we do here and in
    Ottawa. They are literaly to slippery to stand on (they slope
    slightly) and studded tires are a real help here if you cannot avoid
    them.

    And then they are lovely if your local lake has just frozen enough to
    ride on but is still totally glare ice. 🙂 My local lake did this
    about 4 years ago and I had a completely flat smooth surface about 2 km
    long and 4-5 km wide to ride on. It was lovely until I got off the
    bike to take a couple of pictures of deer in a neigbour's yard and
    until I managed to get my weight back on the saddle I could not get
    going. The wheel spun. Once remounted the riding was great.

    Quoted message said:

    I was under the impression that nothing much works very well in the


    sort of

    Quoted message said:

    messy slush conditions that prevail locally, and my standard commuting
    rules say that when snow is predicted for morning or afternoon, I take
    the bus.

    Well they won't help keep your feet dry 🙂 Still they are as good if
    not better than most tires in slush and handle the risk of ice very
    well

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    a. They are making conversation; small talk is expected among work
    colleagues

    I've been making the worst small talk lately. I'm annoying my co-workers
    this week with the travels of a Thanksgiving-delayed UPS parcel.

    Quoted message said:

    Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dead of night, but I draw the line at snow,

    Ah, you people from Lotusland 🙂 BTW in a bad snow storm sometimes a
    bike will get through when an auto won't And vis versa of course.
    Depends on the snow.
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  17. Claire Petersky said:

    When a co-worker asks, "Did you ride here in the snow?", they do not want
    the details of your commute to work....

    b. They already know you are nuts; they are just trying to ascertain the
    level of your insanity

    Yeah.... but what they are also thinking is...

    a) I am a lazy piece of [censored]
    b) her blood pressure is perfect
    c) her blood lipids are perfect
    d) her weight is perfect
    e) she can eat any god-damn thing she wants

    Will

  18. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dead of night, but I draw the line at snow,

    You're missing all the fun!
    --
    mark

  19. Ron Wallenfang said:

    I've had this conversation a number of times over the years.
    Suffice it to say that I've found nothing more comfortable than
    cotton year in and year out. It may make me look eternally like a
    [fill in your term], but I remain mostly wedded to it, though I do
    sometimes use wool socks, liners for my heavy leather mittens, and
    sweaters.

    From that I could deduce that you don't ride hard enough to produce
    much sweat and that you have mild winters. Your preference doesn't
    add up otherwise.

    Quoted message said:

    I suppose there are also issues of stubbornness and culture mixed in
    there.

    Cotton absorbs water readily and does not dry quickly. You must have
    given a thought to why there are wool sweaters and why most bicycle
    jerseys were once wool, before they were replaced by printable
    synthetics for advertising, a great leap backward. That's why they
    now have zippers that go to the waist so the rider doesn't drown in
    sweat on climbs. Sports (ski and mountaineering) clothing designers
    spend much time working with water rejecting fabrics. For good
    reason, cotton is not one of their materials of choice. I suppose if
    humans didn't perspire, cotton would be more commonly used.

    If you have any clothing made of synthetics, you may have noticed that
    when it comes out of the spin cycle of a washing machine, it feels
    practically dry in comparison to cotton clothing in the same lot.

    Give it your consideration.

    Jobst Brandt

  20. Ryan Cousineau said:

    How much do the studded tires (were you using them?) save you? I was
    under the impression that nothing much works very well in the sort of
    messy slush conditions that prevail locally, and my standard commuting
    rules say that when snow is predicted for morning or afternoon, I take
    the bus.

    Studded tires are only of interest on sheet ice. IMO, only tires with
    as many studs as possible are worth the extra noise. It seems that
    studs double you chances of staying upright on ice. That is to say you
    go from a 0.1% chance of not crashing to a 0.2% chance. I am
    exagerating, of course, but I do think they are only useful on ice like
    big fozen puddles, frozen lakes, etc.

    I have a two-wheel-drive bike ( http://www.christini.com ) and I enjoy
    riding on frozen lakes. It is fun to accelerate hard on ice and get
    both wheels to spin. Using studs, I can look down and watch the ice get
    shredded like a snow cone. Ah, the simple pleasures.

    Joseph

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.