Notes from a cycle commuter, three months in

Thomas

Guest
1) Adjust brake cable length the very moment a slight difference is noted, *not* during the rain,
going fast behind a nervous driver.
2) Thin T-Shirt and baggy shorts are not suitable attire for such weather. Rain's cold.
3) Even if you are overtaken by a BMW driver that is unable to contemplate a cyclist requiring any
space whatsoever on the road, do not make a w*nker sign in his rear-view mirror - several
drivers behind you will take exception to this, especially if they're driving the poxiest
vauxhall imaginable.
4) London taxi drivers are pure evil.
5) London bus drivers are pure evil, but are worried about their career prospects.
6) Drunk cycling is fine, as long as you have a five minute stretch to get used to the delicate art
of balencing.
7) Should you fall from a stationary start (wooyay clipless pedals), even in a city as unfriendly
as London, *every* passenger on the bus opposite will wave their hands back upon your recovery.
8) Lights mounted on the saddle post will scrape against your legs on every occaision, yet more
irritatingly so than sandpaper.
9) Local bike shops are evil. Upon taking your bike in because the bearings are shot, even though
it's a new bike barely two months old, they will demand someone has a test ride. You bugger off
to work, come back the next day only to discover the saddle's to blame and yet the bearings have
miraculously recovered...
10) I *really* hate Hyde Park Corner.

Thomas.

I too have just started commuting into town from Richmond and am loving it.

We will see how my mettle holds out when the lights go out and it starts raining again.

That having been said I forced myself onto the saddle to cycle home on Thursday - in the rain - got home to find that the tube had been closed by a power cut and everyone trapped or stuck in Town.

Now I know that I should feel for my brother workers but - I have to say as I peeled off my sopping kit - I just laughed my head off.

last one to Parliament square is a big girls blouse.

TooSore wrote:

> We will see how my mettle holds out when the lights go out and it starts raining again.

The key to this is to begin commuting in late autumn like I did last year. That way, the first
summer is even more of a delight and you get the added benefit of not dreading the winter, because
it's not that bad really. Get a decent jacket, a pair of gloves, leggings and once you're moving you
soon warm up (if your commute is long enough).

Simonb

Gotta keep going all year round (4000 miles/year in commuting alone)

ps, just got myself a pair of neoprene overshoes

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:55:31 +0100, "Thomas" <La de la de la> wrote:

>8) Lights mounted on the saddle post will scrape against your legs on every occaision, yet more
> irritatingly so than sandpaper.

Hi Thomas.

The above is not necessarily true. But I'm buggered if I can find the spot on the saddle post where
the rear light doesn't rub - there used to be such a position.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

"Thomas" <La de la de la> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 1) Adjust brake cable length the very moment a slight difference is noted, *not* during the rain,
> going fast behind a nervous driver.
> 2) Thin T-Shirt and baggy shorts are not suitable attire for such weather. Rain's cold.
> 3) Even if you are overtaken by a BMW driver that is unable to contemplate
> cyclist requiring any space whatsoever on the road, do not make a w*nker sign in his rear-view
> mirror - several drivers behind you will take exception to this, especially if they're driving the
> poxiest vauxhall imaginable.
> 4) London taxi drivers are pure evil.
> 5) London bus drivers are pure evil, but are worried about their career prospects.
> 6) Drunk cycling is fine, as long as you have a five minute stretch to get used to the delicate
> art of balencing.
> 7) Should you fall from a stationary start (wooyay clipless pedals), even
in
> a city as unfriendly as London, *every* passenger on the bus opposite will wave their hands back
> upon your recovery.
> 8) Lights mounted on the saddle post will scrape against your legs on
every
> occaision, yet more irritatingly so than sandpaper.
> 9) Local bike shops are evil. Upon taking your bike in because the
bearings
> are shot, even though it's a new bike barely two months old, they will demand someone has a test
> ride. You bugger off to work, come back the next day only to discover the saddle's to blame and
> yet the bearings have miraculously recovered...
> 10) I *really* hate Hyde Park Corner.
>
> Thomas.

Ill have to agree on the general points (thank god i dont commute into or out of London!)

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TooSore wrote:
>
> > We will see how my mettle holds out when the lights go out and it starts raining again.
>
> The key to this is to begin commuting in late autumn like I did last year. That way, the first
> summer is even more of a delight and you get the added benefit of not dreading the winter, because
> it's not that bad really. Get
> decent jacket, a pair of gloves, leggings and once you're moving you soon warm up (if your commute
> is long enough).
>
> Simonb

Must admit that I am dreading Winter - although it was a bit cooler these past few days - i wore
leggings to work this AM and found it better - just need a long sleeved shirt to wear now - any
suggestions.

I REALLY want to keep the commute up - I dont want to let myself down by wimping out in the
winter.....

Are balaclava's worth investing in? My arms were ok this morning with a normal T Shirt but my face
was a bit chilly!

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:55:31 +0100, "Thomas" <La de la de la> wrote:
>
> >8) Lights mounted on the saddle post will scrape against your legs on every occaision, yet more
> > irritatingly so than sandpaper.
>
> Hi Thomas.
>
> The above is not necessarily true. But I'm buggered if I can find the spot on the saddle post
> where the rear light doesn't rub - there used to be such a position.

Get a Trek "Disco Inferno", small enough not to rub, and bright enough to interfer with air traffic.

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Must admit that I am dreading Winter - although it was a bit cooler these past few days - i wore
> leggings to work this AM and found it better - just need a long sleeved shirt to wear now - any
> suggestions.
>
> I REALLY want to keep the commute up - I dont want to let myself down by wimping out in the
> winter.....

There are times in winter when wimping out is the sensible option - when black ice is about is a
good one. When luck plays too great a part in your safe arrival it's better to get a train or bus.

Must admit that I am dreading Winter - although it was a bit cooler these past few days - i wore
leggings to work this AM and found it better - just need a long sleeved shirt to wear now - any
suggestions.

Helly Hansen thermal long sleeve top - wicking material, stripes down the arm great stuff - no good in wind or rain but a good base layer.

Considering a neoprene face mask to keep the chill off but not sure about that - will ask Susannah and Trinny and get back to you.

Yes to 4 and 5. Hyde Park Corner is fine in the AM but a bit of a pain in the PM. I'm lucky that I
cycle up Constitution Hill and use the cycle/horse crossing to get over onto the roundabout type
thing. BTW if you use the roundabout to get to Hyde Park there is a handy 'horse crossing button'
about 8ft high up on the post which not only puts those nasty traffic lights to red but also
magically opens the gates directly opposite.

Thomas wrote:
> 1) Adjust brake cable length the very moment a slight difference is noted, *not* during the rain,
> going fast behind a nervous driver.

Hydraulic disc brakes...

> 3) Even if you are overtaken by a BMW driver that is unable to contemplate a cyclist requiring
> any space whatsoever on the road, do not make a w*nker sign in his rear-view mirror - several
> drivers behind you will take exception to this, especially if they're driving the poxiest
> vauxhall imaginable.

Watch out for a **** in a dark Renault Clio around Tottenham. How I larfed this am when all his
attempts to zoom up the bus lane were thwarted by a parked truck delivering to a building site and
lots of unhelpful drivers who wouldn't let him out again. Not to mention the driver of the Saab 9000
whose attempts to headbutt a bus resulted in the closure of the A10 to motor vehicles.

> 4) London taxi drivers are pure evil.

Don't have a problem with them.

> 5) London bus drivers are pure evil, but are worried about their career prospects.

Nonse. They are scum who need badly to be replaced by machines.

> 10) I *really* hate Hyde Park Corner.

Yep, they spoiled it when they put the traffic lights in...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/