Nothing to do with bicycles...White Tiger

Maggie

Guest
I have a question. I have been trying to find the legend of the White
Tiger. Does anyone know where I can find it. I am also looking for
pictures.

I am going for another tatoo in May and it will be a white tiger. I
read the legend a long time ago, but I've forgotten the whole story. I
have to find the perfect picture as well.

I am not the tattoed woman or anything but I have a few small ones. All
significant points in my life. This will be my last one. I had to reach
a certain point in my life to have the tiger done. OK, so I am nuts.
But its important to me.

I think the legend is from China.

Maggie.

In news:[email protected],
Maggie <[email protected]> typed:

http://users.aristotle.net/~swarmack/tiger.html

http://www.magiccarpet.com/~cgrafe/tiger3.html

Roger Zoul wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Maggie <[email protected]> typed:
> > I have a question. I have been trying to find the legend of the

White
> > Tiger. Does anyone know where I can find it. I am also looking

for
> > pictures.

> http://users.aristotle.net/~swarmack/tiger.html
>
> http://www.magiccarpet.com/~cgrafe/tiger3.html
>

> > I am going for another tatoo in May and it will be a white tiger. I
> > read the legend a long time ago, but I've forgotten the whole

story. I
> > have to find the perfect picture as well.
> >
> > I am not the tattoed woman or anything but I have a few small ones.
> > All significant points in my life. This will be my last one. I had

> > reach a certain point in my life to have the tiger done. OK, so I

am
> > nuts. But its important to me.
> >
> > I think the legend is from China.
> >
> > Maggie.

Thanks, I think I found the picture I am going to take to the artist. I
just learned a heck of a lot about white tigers.

I keep thinking there is a "chinese legend" about them. Maybe it is
just the legend of a tiger. I could have sworn it was a chinese
legend.
Maggie.

In news:[email protected],
Maggie <[email protected]> typed:
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>> In news:[email protected],
>> Maggie <[email protected]> typed:
>> > I have a question. I have been trying to find the legend of the

> White
>> > Tiger. Does anyone know where I can find it. I am also looking

> for
>> > pictures.

>> http://users.aristotle.net/~swarmack/tiger.html
>>
>> http://www.magiccarpet.com/~cgrafe/tiger3.html
>>

>> > I am going for another tatoo in May and it will be a white tiger. I
>> > read the legend a long time ago, but I've forgotten the whole

> story. I
>> > have to find the perfect picture as well.
>> >
>> > I am not the tattoed woman or anything but I have a few small ones.
>> > All significant points in my life. This will be my last one. I had

>> > reach a certain point in my life to have the tiger done. OK, so I

> am
>> > nuts. But its important to me.
>> >
>> > I think the legend is from China.
>> >
>> > Maggie.

> Thanks, I think I found the picture I am going to take to the artist.
> I just learned a heck of a lot about white tigers.
>
> I keep thinking there is a "chinese legend" about them. Maybe it is
> just the legend of a tiger. I could have sworn it was a chinese
> legend.
> Maggie.

I really don't have a clue about the legend, so I just posted those for some
pics. Your search continues, I guess.

Maggie wrote . . . about White Tiger [snip]

The usual convention for posting something off-topic is to put "[OT]" before
the subject line.

Example: [OT]: The legend of White Tiger

Neil Brooks wrote:
> Maggie wrote . . . about White Tiger [snip]
>
> The usual convention for posting something off-topic is to put "[OT]"

before
> the subject line.
>
> Example: [OT]: The legend of White Tiger

OK if I post another OT, I will be sure to preface it with OT. But
before I post anything I will make sure I google it until I can google
no more. Are there any other rules I should know about? I'm sure if I
don't follow procedure I will be informed by someone.

There is something to be said about the good ole' days before the
internet. You actually had face to face conversations, you knew who
you were speaking to, no one could hide behind a screen name, and your
knowledge and intelligence were not googled.

Now we can write on a newsgroup as if we have a Ph.d in every subject.
Just GOOGLE IT. You can even google a term paper in college. Give me
the good old days, when we knew who was intelligent, who was stupid and
no one could hide and google their responses. I will remember OT...but
in my life OT is when I work past 5:00 and get time and a half.
Maggie

To the Chinese the white tiger was the king of all animals and lord of
the mountains

Maggie wrote:

> OK if I post another OT, I will be sure to preface it with OT. But
> before I post anything I will make sure I google it until I can google
> no more. Are there any other rules I should know about? I'm sure if
> I don't follow procedure I will be informed by someone.

Exactly!

> There is something to be said about the good ole' days before the
> internet. You actually had face to face conversations, you knew who
> you were speaking to, no one could hide behind a screen name, and your
> knowledge and intelligence were not googled.

I like the "[OT]" thing.

One of my good friends, in face-to-face conversation, has been known to
preface a rant with, "Forgive me while I digress into a long-winded and not
particularly relevant rant rife with useless details." You kind of drift
off into meditation for about four minutes, then tune back in as he wraps it
up ;-)

Neil Brooks wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:
>
> >> The usual convention for posting something off-topic is to put
> >> "[OT]" before the subject line.
> >>
> >> Example: [OT]: The legend of White Tiger

> Maggie wrote:
>
> > OK if I post another OT, I will be sure to preface it with OT. But
> > before I post anything I will make sure I google it until I can

google
> > no more. Are there any other rules I should know about? I'm sure

if
> > I don't follow procedure I will be informed by someone.

> Exactly!
>
> > There is something to be said about the good ole' days before the
> > internet. You actually had face to face conversations, you knew

who
> > you were speaking to, no one could hide behind a screen name, and

your
> > knowledge and intelligence were not googled.

> I like the "[OT]" thing.
>
> One of my good friends, in face-to-face conversation, has been known

> preface a rant with, "Forgive me while I digress into a long-winded

and not
> particularly relevant rant rife with useless details." You kind of

drift
> off into meditation for about four minutes, then tune back in as he

wraps it
> up ;-)

Do you google up your Meditations before he goes off into his Rant.
Google will give you meditations that are OT for your state of mind
while he is completely NOT OT.

In my humble opinion and rant.....I believe there are no "useless
details" in conversation. "STIFLE IT EDITH" as Archie Bunker used to
say....is the impatience of the times. The inability to listen to
anything that is not short and to the point.

Hey, lets all learn to stay on topic, short, to the point, and never
ramble. Let's all be robotic techie information feeders. No color, no
character....just pure OT info. Keep adjectives to the bare minimum.
Never add flowery verse, adjectives, adverbs or discriptive sentences
to a post. STAY OT or be chastised.

Maggie. (Always ready to ramble)

PS...stay away from the old people in the park if they decide to share
some wisdom with you. They tend to ramble. How dare they!
Maggie....Long winded and off topic.

In news:[email protected],
Neil Brooks <[email protected]> typed:

> One of my good friends, in face-to-face conversation, has been known
> to preface a rant with, "Forgive me while I digress into a
> long-winded and not particularly relevant rant rife with useless
> details." You kind of drift off into meditation for about four
> minutes, then tune back in as he wraps it up ;-)

:)

In news:[email protected],
Maggie <[email protected]> typed:

> Maggie. (Always ready to ramble)
>
> PS...stay away from the old people in the park if they decide to share
> some wisdom with you. They tend to ramble. How dare they!
> Maggie....Long winded and off topic.

Well, in spite of all this...in many situations, googling with get you your
info quicker than asking in a post. So, when people suggest it, they are
trying to be helpful.

> Thanks for your kind and thoughtful understanding. I will look
> elsewhere for the chinese legend Brendon M Troy. Maybe I will just ask
> the guy who does my nails. He actually might know and not have to
> google every damn piece of information he needs. With google around, we
> have no idea who is actually intelligent and who just knows how to
> google. You can fake alot on the internet as far as knowledge. Its in
> the real world without google in front of you, where you show your real
> smarts. Thanks for pissing me off. I was having a good day.
> Maggie.

Maggie: One only need look as far as rec.bicycles.racing or
rec.travel.europe to see how bad things can get if there isn't a
self-correcting aspect to a newsgroup (to keep them on-target). Without
that, the signal-to-noise ratio can make the group virtually worthless for
the intended subject.

Having said that, a polite reminder of where one might best look for the
information is always best, and perhaps subsequent end-of-thread indication
in the subject line from the original poster, letting people know that the
quest is over.

Nearly all of us have been "guilty" of straying off-topic from time to time,
usually after a relevant (on-topic) post has begun to go astray. That's
slightly different from beginning something that's off-topic, since it arose
during "conversation" as it were. Still, it's something to be recognized and
minimized, in order to have the most-functional newsgroup possible.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
> > Thanks for your kind and thoughtful understanding. I will look
> > elsewhere for the chinese legend Brendon M Troy. Maybe I will just

ask
> > the guy who does my nails. He actually might know and not have to
> > google every damn piece of information he needs. With google

around, we
> > have no idea who is actually intelligent and who just knows how to
> > google. You can fake alot on the internet as far as knowledge. Its

in
> > the real world without google in front of you, where you show your

real
> > smarts. Thanks for pissing me off. I was having a good day.
> > Maggie.
> >

> Maggie: One only need look as far as rec.bicycles.racing or
> rec.travel.europe to see how bad things can get if there isn't a
> self-correcting aspect to a newsgroup (to keep them on-target).

Without
> that, the signal-to-noise ratio can make the group virtually

worthless for
> the intended subject.
>
> Having said that, a polite reminder of where one might best look for

the
> information is always best, and perhaps subsequent end-of-thread

indication
> in the subject line from the original poster, letting people know

that the
> quest is over.
>
> Nearly all of us have been "guilty" of straying off-topic from time

to time,
> usually after a relevant (on-topic) post has begun to go astray.

That's
> slightly different from beginning something that's off-topic, since

it arose
> during "conversation" as it were. Still, it's something to be

recognized and
> minimized, in order to have the most-functional newsgroup possible.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

I understand your point. I just want to find this legend. I tried
googling and I can't find it. I don't profess to be an expert at
searching...I googled as much as I could and I took a shot that someone
on this NG would remember it. Most seem rather intelligent and well
read.

Sometimes I feel as if I know people on the NG personally because I
have read the stories they write. I guess I was becoming too "real
world" friendly as opposed to bicycle newsgroup friendly.

The legend is Chinese and its about a woman and a tiger. Sorry I became
frustrated with the responses I received.

I will look for a newsgroup about myths and legends and maybe someone
will know. There must be a group like that I am sure. Since googling is
not working for me, I will take another avenue. And I will be on topic.

I apologize for posting OT. Everytime someone tells me I am doing
something wrong, I try to correct it. But gosh there are way too many
rules in this NG and I was never one to follow the rules. If I receive
an answer and find the legend...I will post a link.
All Good things,
Maggie

In news:[email protected],
Maggie <[email protected]> typed:

> The legend is Chinese and its about a woman and a tiger. Sorry I
> became frustrated with the responses I received.
>
> I will look for a newsgroup about myths and legends and maybe someone
> will know. There must be a group like that I am sure. Since googling
> is not working for me, I will take another avenue. And I will be on
> topic.

Tiger
"West - the White Tiger, Autumn, Wind, Metal; Planet, Venus; lungs and small
intestine (Mackenzie)."
"...The White Tiger of the West, for instance, is associated with metal.
When, therefore, metal is placed in a grave, a ceremonial connection with
the tiger-god is effected. 'According to the Annals of Wu and Yueh, three
days after the burial of the king, the essence of the element metal assumed
the shape of a white tiger and crouched down on the top of the grave.' Here
the tiger is a protector - a preserver.
....As we have seen, white jade was used when the Tiger god of the West was
worshipped; it is known as 'tiger jade'; a tiger was depicted on the jade
symbol. To the Chinese the tiger was the king of all animals and 'lord of
the mountains', and the tiger-jade ornament was specially researved for
commanders of armies. The male tiger was, among other things, the god of
war, and in this capacity it not only assisted the armies of the emperors,
but fought the demons that threatened the dead in their graves (Mackenzie)."

http://www.sempai.org/~felicia/myth.html

A wonderful person on this NG sent me in the right direction to bring
my search to a fruitful end. He sent me to the Amazon book site. The
book is found and it is ordered. The story is a vignette within the
book.

I guess googling is not the way to go at all times.
All Good things

Maggie

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote
> I have a question. I have been trying to find the legend of the

White
> Tiger. Does anyone know where I can find it. I am also

looking for
> pictures.
> I think the legend is from China.

http://tinyurl.com/6w5wa
http://tinyurl.com/5bcm3

are a few links that come close but don't seem to be exactly what
you think you're looking for. What stood out to me in googling
was a) the white tiger may be up there with the rose or the Taz
in terms of clicheed tattoos (and tattoo shops, and ink
companies, etc...), which is fine, so long as you understand that
going in and don't think it will be original and b) the white
tiger tattoo, along with the black dragon, is one half of the
tattoo pattern that Triad members (http://tinyurl.com/3jfvh) must
get in order to finally join the organized crime syndicate. In
fact, "white tiger, black dragon" is a euphamism in Hong Kong for
a gangster. You should also realize this, if it matters to you.

HTH,
Brendon

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote
> A wonderful person on this NG sent me in the right direction to

bring
> my search to a fruitful end. He sent me to the Amazon book

site

> I guess googling is not the way to go at all times.

I hate to appear to be flaming you here, but I'm afraid you're
operating under a lot of misconceptions that are keeping you from
living a much easier and more efficient life - namely, that
google is not always the answer - while technically true, the
instances of google not being the answer are so few and far
between, they're almost religious events ;-) To wit, had you
googled "white tiger" "chinese story", "White Tiger, Blue
Serpent" by Grace Tseng - the book to which I assume you are
referring - would've been the *first* result. I'm assuming that's
how this wonderful person got his/her knowledge. I say this again
not to flame you, but to hopefully lead you down a wonderful path
in which you find information quickly, efficiently, and (most
importantly) independently for yourself. It'll be great, I
promise!

-Brendon

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote
> Well, in spite of all this...in many situations, googling with

get you your
> info quicker than asking in a post. So, when people suggest

it, they are
> trying to be helpful.

Thanks, Rog ... I *was* trying to be helpful, albeit in a funny
way. I was perceived as being neither, and for that, I've already
apologized. Glad to know some people get where I'm coming from.

^5!

-Brendon

Brendon M. Troy wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote
> > A wonderful person on this NG sent me in the right direction to

> bring
> > my search to a fruitful end. He sent me to the Amazon book

> site
> >
> > I guess googling is not the way to go at all times.

> I hate to appear to be flaming you here, but I'm afraid you're
> operating under a lot of misconceptions that are keeping you from
> living a much easier and more efficient life - namely, that
> google is not always the answer - while technically true, the
> instances of google not being the answer are so few and far
> between, they're almost religious events ;-) To wit, had you
> googled "white tiger" "chinese story", "White Tiger, Blue
> Serpent" by Grace Tseng - the book to which I assume you are
> referring - would've been the *first* result. I'm assuming that's
> how this wonderful person got his/her knowledge. I say this again
> not to flame you, but to hopefully lead you down a wonderful path
> in which you find information quickly, efficiently, and (most
> importantly) independently for yourself. It'll be great, I
> promise!
>
> -Brendon

Plonk is a Usenet slang term for adding a particular person to one's
kill file. It can be used as a verb to describe the action, or appended
to the end of one's Usenet post to publicly demonstrate that you have
added a person to your kill file.

Thank you for teaching me my word of the day from your previous post.
I don't know if I will ever use it. But darn, I know what it means now.
By this time next year I will know all those Kewl computer slang words
and I will be right up there with all those computer savvy posters
that toss around words that the general poluation never heard of in
their dull offline life. Next time I am at a party I will toss some
usenet words out and discover who is a computer geek spending days
discussing "whatever" online. I know this is a happy face. :)
I know this is a sad face :-( and I know this is a wind ;-)
Here is a wink for you Brendon. ;-) Sorry if I aggravated you. I do
that to many people. I think I was born to say the wrong thing at the
wrong time and in the wrong place.
All good things
Maggie...
PS...I like Google...but I really prefer the library. I especially love
to ask questions of intelligent people so they can elaborate and fill
me with knowledge. Is that so bad? And the guy who does my nails is
Chinese, he has done my nails for 15 years and he teaches me alot about
Chinese culture. Thursday is my appointment. I will ask him about the
book and the story. Just to see what he thinks of it.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:58:45 -0500, "Brendon M. Troy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> You can fake alot on the internet as far as knowledge. Its in
>> the real world without google in front of you, where you show

>your real
>> smarts.

>This is true. I don't see how it relates to me posting a joke
>link to you, but it's true. Good one, Maggie! :~) LOL
>
>> Thanks for pissing me off. I was having a good day.

>I'm truly sorry for pissing you off, and that's where my fault is
>(and why I've wasted time replying). *I'm sorry, Maggie.* What
>was meant as a joke was obviously not interpreted that way, and
>I'm sorry for that.
>
>-Brendon

Brendon, we may all have inside ourselves a 'parent', a 'child' and an
'adult', and at different times we decide to express, or need to
express one or the other. Whether you call those 'roles', or
'aspects', or 'masques', is up to your interpretation.

jj