vernon said:"Simon Wolf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I am about to take up cycling as a way of both getting fitter and
cutting down on my car usage but I could do with some advice about my
choice of bikes please.
At the moment I am wavering between buying a hybrid bike and a
touring bike. I am in my mid-30s, somewhat overweight (100KG and
174cm high) and will be using the bike most days for my short
commute to work (around two miles each way) but with some regular
evening and weekend rides of around 10 miles and the occasional
longer ride every so often (hopefully building up to 50+ miles). Most of
my riding will be in mid-Somerset, on the edge of the Mendip
Hills, so I will encounter my fair share of hills but I will also
benefit from most of my cycling being in the countryside and in
small towns such as Wells, Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet so
competing with heavy traffic is not really an issue.
Via the Ride2Work scheme I will have a budget of around £1000 to buy
the bike and accessories and my initial thoughts were to get a Dawes
Galaxy (around £800) which leaves me some money for panniers, a
decent lock and some good lights.
Hi Simon,
As a svelte 130kg Galaxy owner, I can not recommend the bike high
enough.
I'd also say that the Galaxy is a high quality option with the available
budget. There are cheaper options (including bits of Dawes range) which
would probably do just as well for the distances proposed, such as the
Horizon (comes with drop bars).
The choices through bike-to-work schemes can often be limited, so
recommendations to semi-bespoke equivalents (eg. Thorn, Hewitt) might not be
any use.
I'd say the Galaxy is a nice bike, and if having a nice bike is good
motivation, get it. If after "practical", the Horizon will work well, prove
itself quite practical, last a decent time, etc. The Horizon can always
have its parts upgraded as they wear.
Either bike needs maintenance, particularly the chain. If after low/zero
maintenance, you need a bike with hub gears.
Battery lights should be fine for 2mile commutes. If you want dynamo, you
can always add a hub later.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:However, I am wondering if drop handlebars are the right choice since
most of the local bike shops seem to recommend hybrid bikes with
straight bars for a more upright seating position.
Its a matter of what people find comfortable. Most first-time riders prefer
flat bars. However, the very straight bar fitted to many modern bikes
doesn't help much in comfort; I think the much more curved bar (think Miss
Marple TV dramas) is more comfortable over any time/distance.
For a distance over 5-7 miles, I prefer drop bars with their top slightly
lower than saddle, lots of variation in hand position. But for a short
commute, I use a flat-bar bike which sits me more upright. The upright
position really needs a sprung saddle as the shocks coming through are much
harsher, whereas the drop bar models spread weight out over arms and legs
more effectively.
Quoted message said:You don't have to ride on the drops. I've only used them once or
twice when ther's been strong headwinds. I normally use the top flat
bit of the bar or use the brake hoods.
If the Galaxy/Horizon doesn't have them, its worth considering whether you
want secondary "cyclocross" brake levers added to drop bars. A bike shop
which supplies the bike should be able to add them as an accessory (about
£20 plus fitting time).
They allow braking from the flat-straight part of the drop bar. Its not
essential, but many people seem to like them. (Most people learn quickly
that you can operate a drop bar brake lever from above).
Quoted message said:The only modification that i'd recommend is fitting a Brooks B17
saddle to the bike froum the outset. Your derrier will thank you for
it.
Or even the sprung version, which (I think) is the "Flyer". Saves deciding
to buy a sprung seatpost later. I see a lot of riders of Galaxy-like bikes
who have a B17 plus sprung seatpost. Both types are available in "Aged"
form for a few pounds extra which saves a bit of breaking in time.
I've started trying a Flyer on one of my bikes, and early impressions are
good, the springs seem to knock out all sorts of vibration and small shocks
which previous saddles passed through.
In the case of any saddle, it helps if you know roughly how the width of
your sit bones, and then select saddles on this basis. This has nothing to
do with how fat you are.
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/