Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

NRS2 + chamber pressure when - chamber blown?

Started by John Crankshaw · · Last activity · 7 posts · 771 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 February 2003
Last activity
21 February 2003
Original author
John Crankshaw
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
771
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The negative chamber on my NRS2 won't hold any pressure. Valve problem. Until I get it fixed, should
    I run my + chamber at my body weight minus the 50 lbs that's missing from the neg chamber?

    Kinda makes sense to me...

    John

  2. Ummmmmm

    I wouldn't ride it until I fixed it dude......

    Jeremy

    "John Crankshaw" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The negative chamber on my NRS2 won't hold any pressure. Valve problem. Until I get it fixed,
    should I run my + chamber at my body weight minus


    the

    Quoted message said:

    50 lbs that's missing from the neg chamber?

    Kinda makes sense to me...

    John

  3. Good advice, but I've got just one more desert ride before going back to snowy Michigan. And I'm
    thinking the valve has been blown since the bike was new. Just discovered it by accident, since the
    neg pumps up fine and looks good, but loses the pressure immediately on disconnecting the pump. I
    discovered it by going back on with the pump immediately one time...

    So one more ride...

    Got any opinion on the + chamber pressure for this one ride, Jeremy.

    John

    Watimena <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ummmmmm

    I wouldn't ride it until I fixed it dude......

    Jeremy

    "John Crankshaw" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The negative chamber on my NRS2 won't hold any pressure. Valve problem. Until I get it fixed,
    should I run my + chamber at my body weight minus


    the

    Quoted message said:

    50 lbs that's missing from the neg chamber?

    Kinda makes sense to me...

    John


  4. Like the other guy said, You shouldn't ride it. At least ring and get a price on a new shock so that
    you know how much your ride may cost you.

    BUT since you think it's only the valve why don't you replace it ? The centre of those car type
    valve screws out and can be replaced. Go to your (someone's) boot and get the one out of the spair.
    If it's the valve this will (probably) fix it. You can even get a special little tool to take the
    valve out but a little flat head screw driver or two should do it with care.

    AJS

    "John Crankshaw" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The negative chamber on my NRS2 won't hold any pressure. Valve problem. Until I get it fixed,
    should I run my + chamber at my body weight minus


    the

    Quoted message said:

    50 lbs that's missing from the neg chamber?

    Kinda makes sense to me...

    John

  5. "the neg pumps up fine and looks good, but loses the pressure immediately on disconnecting the pump.
    I discovered it by going back on with the pump immediately one time."

    Is there anything indicating pressure loss other than the lower reading the second time you screw
    the pump hose on? The negative chamber has very small volume. It loses quite a bit of that volume,
    and therefore pressure, when you screw the hose on - the air has to fill the additional volume of
    the hose before it hits the gauge. Maybe that's all that's happening.

  6. Nope. I've pushed the valve after pumping up the neg chamber. It's not holding any pressure unless
    the pump is screwed on.

    J

    Allen <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "the neg pumps up fine and looks good, but loses the pressure immediately on disconnecting the
    pump. I discovered it by going back on with the pump immediately one time."

    Is there anything indicating pressure loss other than the lower reading the second time you screw
    the pump hose on? The negative chamber has very small volume. It loses quite a bit of that volume,
    and therefore pressure, when you screw the hose on - the air has to fill the additional volume of
    the hose before it hits the gauge. Maybe that's all that's happening.

  7. Try installing a new valve core ( or snugging it down), your seal in the core may be bad. To check
    this, pump it up( to about 100psi) and leave the pump attached for a little while. If you see
    significant leakage after 5 minutes then you know it is the seal inside the chamber and not the
    valve core.

    Otherwise I don't think having no pressure in the negative chamber really effects the NRS suspension
    design that much ( too much makes it really active). it was designed to run with no sag. The 50 psi
    they recommend is almost a token pressure.

    I had the opposite problem, the positive chamber was leaking into the negative chamber and the
    suspension was getting progressively more active, RS did not put any lube inside the chamber so it
    ruined the rubber O-ring. Which makes me think it may be your valve core.

    Joe "John Crankshaw" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nope. I've pushed the valve after pumping up the neg chamber. It's not holding any pressure unless
    the pump is screwed on.

    J

    Allen <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "the neg pumps up fine and looks good, but loses the pressure immediately on disconnecting the
    pump. I discovered it by going back on with the pump immediately one time."

    Is there anything indicating pressure loss other than the lower reading the second time you
    screw the pump hose on? The negative chamber has very small volume. It loses quite a bit of that
    volume, and therefore pressure, when you screw the hose on - the air has to fill the additional
    volume of the hose before it hits the gauge. Maybe that's all that's happening.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.