Hello All
I am thinking about going in The Big Ride but I have never done anthing like
this before. I live in the Port Macquarie area so it would be a good
opportunity to do it. The distances shouldn't be a problem but it is the
many days that worry me a bit. Can anyone put my mind at ease? What if it
rains some of the days?
Joseph
Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion
NSW Big Ride 2007
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Australia and New Zealand
- Published
- 13 December 2006
- Last activity
- 14 December 2006
- Original author
- Joseph
- Posts
- 8
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 686
- Views / 30 days
- 11
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"Joseph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Hello All
I am thinking about going in The Big Ride but I have never done anthing
like
this before. I live in the Port Macquarie area so it would be a good
opportunity to do it. The distances shouldn't be a problem but it is the
many days that worry me a bit. Can anyone put my mind at ease? What if it
rains some of the days?
JosephI think you should do it. I did my first in 1998 I think, it was Canowndra
to Bega anyway, and again in 2002, Manilla to Walcha. I had a great time on
both occasions. I was 38 and 42 respectively. First time was on a mountain
bike, second time on a road bike.I grew up in Wingham & now live in Newcastle and am planning on going again
in 2007. I think I read somewhere the average age of riders is about forty,
so they don't make it too tough.I remember it rained on some days and it was not a lot of fun, but everyone
is in the same situation and if you are prepared for it, its no big deal.
Camping in the rain is more of a problem than riding in it. You should do
some training beforehand and certainly be able to do 100 kms in a day and be
geared correctly for your ability on the hills.It is more fun if you have a group of friends going, but if you don't you
will soon meet plenty of new friends while queuing. Did anyone mention you
will spend a lot of time queuing? You have to queue for toilets, showers and
meals. The organised get there early and spend a lot of time renewing
acquaintances and reliving the day, the rest just turn up after the line
starts moving and hope for the best. Either way, talk to people who have
done them before for tips on what to take (and not take), where to camp and
what to do.
I can only recommend you try for yourself. Whatever you end up thinking of
the trip it is unlikely you will ever forget it.Peter Miller
Newcastle -
"Peter Miller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Joseph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
<Snip>Quoted message said:
Peter Miller
NewcastleHi peter I am also in Newcastle
Do you race at all ?
If so what club ?
If not you should come join my club 😉
http://kooragangcycling.asn.au
I am hoping to win ( or place ) in the Xmas handicap race this Saturday,
going to be hard as I am off chopping block with the Scratch riders only 1
min behind. -
"Joseph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Hello All
I am thinking about going in The Big Ride but I have never done anthing
like
this before. I live in the Port Macquarie area so it would be a good
opportunity to do it. The distances shouldn't be a problem but it is the
many days that worry me a bit. Can anyone put my mind at ease? What if it
rains some of the days?
JosephG'day Joseph,
Yeah you should give it a try along with the other 1,000 or so cyclists that
regularly do the big ride. I've only done it once in 2004 from Kosziusko to
Kiama and had a good time despite having a fall (not from a bike mind you
but my own stupid legs) just before it began so i was out for the first 2
days and just travelled on the sweep bus which is a bus that travels behind
the last of the riders and picks them up if they can't go on any longer.
The ride is well supervised by police on motorcycles and patrol cars and
will give feral motorists hell if they try to do something foolish.The cops
are quite jovial and have a good time while working with us giving some of
the not so fit some encouragement and watching out for those who might be
pushing it a bit too much, I know on one day i wasn't feeling the best and
one cop in particular kept a close eye on me.We have our own ambulance and
first aiders close on hand travelling with us at all times.
Heaps of friendly people to meet and party onwards, the campsites have a
licenced cafe/bar onsite for refreshments with drinks at non-outlandish
prices.
The food tents are always busy and you will have to queue a bit for these
but i didn't find it too bad, and the food was reasonably good.
You get plenty of time to do the rides every day and no-one rushes you, and
if you feel you can't go on any longer, just wait at the side of the road
for the sweep bus who will take you and bike to camp.
If I ever go again, I'm definately going to pay extra for the deluxe camping
option where you just lop up and dive into your already erected tent, not
cheap mind you but after riding a pushy for 80kms + then trying to find your
bags and carry them to a clearing on the ground and erecting a tent was to
me a pain in the [censored]. It would be an extra $300 well spent for the tent
option, commonly called on campsite (by Debbie...oh did I mention
Debbie..hehe you'll find out) as Housing commision LOL.
On route everyday you'll stop for morning tea ,(purchased ) lunch (included)
arvo tea (purchased) and dinner (included) I strongly advise buying one of
those BNSW food trays that fold out and has partitions in both sides.
There are bike repairs onsite everyday and on the road if needed but are not
cheap, these guys are there to make money so make sure your bikes is at
least well serviced before going.
I met an elderly bloke called Cliff (i think that was his name) he had done
19 such big rides and was 81 yrs old in the 2004 ride and still rode the
full distance albeit rather slowly on his 1970-ish machine.
Don't worry about rain too much, it's kinda fun and providing you bring dry
clothes with you, you'll be ok, as it was said before, pitching a tent in
the rain is more a hassle.You'll have a great time.....I guarantee it!!
DJ
-
Joseph said:
Hello All
I am thinking about going in The Big Ride but I have never done anthing like
this before. I live in the Port Macquarie area so it would be a good
opportunity to do it. The distances shouldn't be a problem but it is the
many days that worry me a bit. Can anyone put my mind at ease? What if it
rains some of the days?
Joseph
I am such a tragic I have done all but one! Go determined to have a good
time. There will be minor inconveniences (such as the dunny queue) but
bike NSW do a very good job.You should have on trouble with the number of days, I am over 60 my mate
over 70 and we do it. We take a motel on the rest day and you might be
able to work out a scheme for popping home, at least you can get washing
etc done.
If it rains put it down to experience or you could even go home I
suspect, it certainly never bothers me as much as a fierce head wind!
--
Remove norubbish to reply -
I did the deluxe camping on vicbikes WA ride and it was a shambles.
Although NSW seem better organised in the big rides you will probably
still have to wait for your tent. If you have a good tent putting it up
is no problem and you can do it where and when you wantDJ said:
"Joseph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Hello All
I am thinking about going in The Big Ride but I have never done anthing
like
this before. I live in the Port Macquarie area so it would be a good
opportunity to do it. The distances shouldn't be a problem but it is the
many days that worry me a bit. Can anyone put my mind at ease? What if it
rains some of the days?
JosephG'day Joseph,
Yeah you should give it a try along with the other 1,000 or so cyclists that
regularly do the big ride. I've only done it once in 2004 from Kosziusko to
Kiama and had a good time despite having a fall (not from a bike mind you
but my own stupid legs) just before it began so i was out for the first 2
days and just travelled on the sweep bus which is a bus that travels behind
the last of the riders and picks them up if they can't go on any longer.
The ride is well supervised by police on motorcycles and patrol cars and
will give feral motorists hell if they try to do something foolish.The cops
are quite jovial and have a good time while working with us giving some of
the not so fit some encouragement and watching out for those who might be
pushing it a bit too much, I know on one day i wasn't feeling the best and
one cop in particular kept a close eye on me.We have our own ambulance and
first aiders close on hand travelling with us at all times.
Heaps of friendly people to meet and party onwards, the campsites have a
licenced cafe/bar onsite for refreshments with drinks at non-outlandish
prices.
The food tents are always busy and you will have to queue a bit for these
but i didn't find it too bad, and the food was reasonably good.
You get plenty of time to do the rides every day and no-one rushes you, and
if you feel you can't go on any longer, just wait at the side of the road
for the sweep bus who will take you and bike to camp.
If I ever go again, I'm definately going to pay extra for the deluxe camping
option where you just lop up and dive into your already erected tent, not
cheap mind you but after riding a pushy for 80kms + then trying to find your
bags and carry them to a clearing on the ground and erecting a tent was to
me a pain in the [censored]. It would be an extra $300 well spent for the tent
option, commonly called on campsite (by Debbie...oh did I mention
Debbie..hehe you'll find out) as Housing commision LOL.
On route everyday you'll stop for morning tea ,(purchased ) lunch (included)
arvo tea (purchased) and dinner (included) I strongly advise buying one of
those BNSW food trays that fold out and has partitions in both sides.
There are bike repairs onsite everyday and on the road if needed but are not
cheap, these guys are there to make money so make sure your bikes is at
least well serviced before going.
I met an elderly bloke called Cliff (i think that was his name) he had done
19 such big rides and was 81 yrs old in the 2004 ride and still rode the
full distance albeit rather slowly on his 1970-ish machine.
Don't worry about rain too much, it's kinda fun and providing you bring dry
clothes with you, you'll be ok, as it was said before, pitching a tent in
the rain is more a hassle.You'll have a great time.....I guarantee it!!
DJ
--
Remove norubbish to reply -
"Jack Russell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I did the deluxe camping on vicbikes WA ride and it was a shambles.
Although NSW seem better organised in the big rides you will probably still
have to wait for your tent. If you have a good tent putting it up is no
problem and you can do it where and when you wantFrom what I've read from previous posts from previous years the Vic Big
rides have become a shambles as they outgrew their organisers and
resources, but the NSW ride that I did seamt pretty organised and the
volunteers did a tremendous job as they always do...fantastic folks they
are.
As for having to wait for the tent to be erected.....hey I'm on holidays...i
don't need to rush and if I know I don't have to fight for a tent site in a
good spot and having to erect the bloody thing, I'll ride slower, take more
photos, have a longer lunch break, talk to more folks and besides, isn't
that what the cafe/bar is there for, to rest and wait. LOL
CheersDJ
-
DJ said:
"Jack Russell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I did the deluxe camping on vicbikes WA ride and it was a shambles.
Although NSW seem better organised in the big rides you will probably still
have to wait for your tent. If you have a good tent putting it up is no
problem and you can do it where and when you wantFrom what I've read from previous posts from previous years the Vic Big
rides have become a shambles as they outgrew their organisers and
resources, but the NSW ride that I did seamt pretty organised and the
volunteers did a tremendous job as they always do...fantastic folks they
are.As for having to wait for the tent to be erected.....hey I'm on holidays...i
don't need to rush and if I know I don't have to fight for a tent site in a
good spot and having to erect the bloody thing, I'll ride slower, take more
photos, have a longer lunch break, talk to more folks and besides, isn't
that what the cafe/bar is there for, to rest and wait. LOL
CheersDJ
That was my attitude but there was no way Vic Bike would have ever got
the tents up on their own so I did mine myself! From what I have seen
NSW seem better organised--
Remove norubbish to reply
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.