UK and Europe · Public discussion

Number unobtainable

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,116 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 November 2007
Last activity
4 December 2007
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,116
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size

  1. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I bet the majority of folders are seldom folded.

    An interesting point that.

    How often its folded is not relevant-the point is it can fold.

    I suppose it's irrelevant that someone uses a dual slalom bike as a
    commuter, because the point is that they could compete in downhill races
    if they wanted to.

    The point I was making is that the criteria for purchasing a folder is the
    option
    of folding rather than the frequency.
    If your arguement is that folders are bought in general for other reasons
    that does nt make logical sense
    -as a consuming behaviour.
    I must admit tho consumer purchase decisions are mostly made on an illogical
    basis.
    Tam

  2. In article said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    I bet the majority of folders are seldom folded.

    Define folded!

    I fold mine in half frequently;


    You're probably not representative of folder owners - I'm betting that
    most have them because of the frame style or wheel size or the notion
    that foldability is useful although they never do it or they were the
    only hub-geared bikes available at the time ...

    I doubt it. As it happens I did buy a folder just in case it happened
    to be useful, because it was very very cheap, but buying new in a bike
    shop it's generally pretty obvious you can get a bike which is better
    in every way except not folding for the same money, so why would anyone
    buy a folder if they didn't think they needed it to fold?
    And my folder was useful, and I now use it (including folding it)
    most days, so I'm not a counterexample either.

    No doubt there are people who bought a folder for a commute they
    no longer do, or to use with a boat they found they didn't really have
    room for even a folding bike on, but I'd be surprised if it was a
    majority.
    The main place I notice folding bikes is at the station, where the
    foldability is relevent, but I accept that might not reflect typical
    usage though (on the other hand I don't regularly commute by train
    myself, so it's not just that that's where I'm mostly see bikes).

  3. Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is public perception, which is influenced by the UCI and
    others. How many people actually race a 'racer', or do serious off-road
    on an ATB? I suspect the only type of bike that is widely used for its
    nominal purpose is the audax machine.

    Brompton and other folders? Cargo trike? 3-speed roadster?
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!
    Today is Chedday, November.

  4. Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    You're probably not representative of folder owners - I'm betting that
    most have them because of the frame style or wheel size or the notion
    that foldability is useful although they never do it or they were the
    only hub-geared bikes available at the time ...

    I don't think that is at all true with the hordes of Bromptons out there.
    You'll do the first stage fold on a B just by picking it up carelessly.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!
    Today is Chedday, November.

  5. In message <[email hidden]>

    David Damerell said:

    You'll do the first stage fold on a B just by picking it up carelessly.

    Carelessly? A shade strong? A shade accurate...

    I fitted the Brompton clip, which stops any such trait, and is a
    beautiful bit of engineering.

    --
    Charles
    Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
    LCC; CTC.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, David Damerell
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is public perception, which is influenced by the UCI and
    others. How many people actually race a 'racer', or do serious off-road
    on an ATB? I suspect the only type of bike that is widely used for its
    nominal purpose is the audax machine.

    Brompton and other folders?

    See my other comment.

    Quoted message said:

    Cargo trike?

    Not exactly widely used, are they? Or bikes, for that matter. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    3-speed roadster?


    I already admitted to omitting utility bikes from consideration, purely
    an oversight on my part.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, David Damerell
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    You're probably not representative of folder owners - I'm betting that
    most have them because of the frame style or wheel size or the notion
    that foldability is useful although they never do it or they were the
    only hub-geared bikes available at the time ...

    I don't think that is at all true with the hordes of Bromptons out there.
    You'll do the first stage fold on a B just by picking it up carelessly.


    I'm guessing that "out there" is mainly commuterland in the southeast -
    there aren't many on Cannock Chase. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a
    Brompton in the wild, but I left London a long time ago and rarely go
    back.

  8. Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting Rob Morley <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is public perception, which is influenced by the UCI and
    others. How many people actually race a 'racer', or do serious off-road
    on an ATB? I suspect the only type of bike that is widely used for its
    nominal purpose is the audax machine.


    Cargo trike?


    Not exactly widely used, are they?

    If you mean "widely used" not relative to the total number in existence,
    then there aren't all that many audax bikes compared to BSOs, and they're
    not widely used at all.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Kill the tomato!
    Today is Stilday, November - a weekend.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.