nutritional deficiencies of cereals

Tcomeau

Guest
Three cereals: wheat, maize and rice together comprise at
least 75% of the world's grain production. It is clear that
humanity has become dependent upon cereal grains for the
majority of its food supply.

Nutritional Content of Wheats
Nutritional Data Wheat Wheat
Wheat for 100 grams Hard Hard
Soft Wheat Wheat Wheat Red Red
Red Hard Soft Name Unit Durum
Winter Spring Winter White White
Food energy KCal: 339 327 329 331
342 340 Protein Gms: 13.68 12.61
15.4 10.35 11.31 10.69 Total
lipid (fat) Gms: 2.47 1.54 1.92
1.56 1.71 1.99 Carbohydrate, by
diff. Gms: 71.13 71.18 68.03
74.24 75.9 75.36 Total saturated
fat Gms: 0.454 0.269 0.314 0.289
0.277 0.368 Ttl monounsaturated
fat Gms: 0.344 0.2 0.303 0.178
0.203 0.227 Ttl polyunsaturated
fat Gms: 0.978 0.627 0.765 0.656
0.75 0.837 Cholesterol Mg: 0 0 0
0 0 0 Sodium Mg: 2 2 2 2 2 2
Total dietary fiber Gms: 12.6
12.6 Vitamin A Re: 0 0 0 0 0 0
Vitamin A IU: 0 0 0 0 0 0 Alpha
tocopherol Mg: Ascorbic acid Mg:
0 0 0 0 0 0 Thiamin Mg: 0.419
0.383 0.504 0.394 0.387 0.41
Riboflavin Mg: 0.121 0.115 0.11
0.096 0.108 0.107 Niacin Mg:
6.738 5.464 5.71 4.8 4.381 4.766
Vitamin B6 Mg: 0.419 0.3 0.336
0.272 0.368 0.378 Folacin Mcg:
43.3 38 43 41 37.6 40.6 Vitamin
B12 Mcg: 0 0 0 0 0 0

Nutritional Content of Corn and Cornmeal

Nutritional Data Cornmeal for 100 grams Corn Flour self
rising Whole Grain Bolted Plain Corn Corn Yellow/ Enriched
Name Unit Dry Yellow Yellow Yellow Food energy KCal: 357 365
361 334 Protein Gms: 7.46 9.42 6.93 8.28 Total lipid (fat)
Gms: 2.08 4.74 3.86 3.4 Carbohydrate, by diff Gms: 79.26
74.26 76.85 70.28 Total saturated fat gms: 0.29 0.667 0.543
0.478 Ttl monounsaturated fat Gms: 0.543 1.251 1.018 0.897
Ttl polyunsaturated fat Gms: 0.924 2.163 1.759 1.55
Cholesterol Mg: 0 0 0 0 Sodium Mg: 3 35 5 1247 Total dietary
fiber Gms: 11 47 13.4 Vitamin A Re: 17 47 47 47 Vitamin A
IU: 170 469 469 469 Thiamin Mg: 0.231 0.385 0.246 0.661
Riboflavin Mg: 0.087 0.201 0.08 0.4 Niacin Mg: 2.43 3.627
1.9 5.291 Vitamin B6 Mg: 0.206 0.622 0.37 0.54 Folacin Mcg:
25 19 25 57 Vitamin B12 Mcg: 0 0 0 0

Nutritional Content of Rice for 100 Grams.

Rice Rice Brown White
Nutrient Unit ------- -------
Food energy KCal: 370.000
365.000 Protein Gms: 7.940
7.130 Total lipid (fat) Gms:
2.920 0.660 Carbohydrate, by
diff. Gms: 77.240 79.950
Total saturated fat Gms:
0.584 0.180 Ttl
monounsaturated fat Gms:
1.056 0.206 Ttl
polyunsaturated fat Gms:
1.044 0.177 Cholesterol Mg :
0.000 0.000 Sodium Mg : 7.000
5.000 Total dietary fiber
Gms: 3.500 1.300 Vitamin A Re
: 0.000 0.000 Vitamin A IU :
0.000 0.000 Alpha tocopherol
Mg : 0.680 0.110 Ascorbic
acid Mg : 0.000 0.000 Thiamin
Mg : 0.401 0.576 Riboflavin
Mg : 0.093 0.049 Niacin Mg :
5.091 4.192 Vitamin B6 Mg :
0.509 0.164 Folacin Mcg:
20.000 8.000 Vitamin B12 Mcg:
0.000 0.000

**************

No vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin b12. The frightening
thing is that vitamin C cannot be created, it must be
gotten from food. Any diet using these grains as the main
source of carbohydrates will be deficient of these vitamins
especially C.

TC

"tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Three cereals: wheat, maize and rice together comprise at
> least 75% of the world's grain production. It is clear
> that humanity has become dependent upon cereal grains for
> the majority of its food supply.

Yes, if you are poor, grains are your best bet. But there
are better grains than these. My fav- orite grains--indeed,
the only grains I eat--are barley and oats. I soak and
sprout them until their roots about one-quarter or three-
eighth inch long and then I steam them. You seem to be
coming around, tcomeau. If you'd like to order some organic
barley or oats sprouting seeds, try

http://www.sprouting.com/

This is Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, located in Canada, but they
ship overseas. If you would like any tips on how to sprout,
cook, and pre- pare the seeds, ask on this newsgroup. Aren't
whole grains wonderful? There's no need to cycle grains
through animals to enjoy their nu- trition.

GWC

Lysine is missing from them all. You missed listing the most
important nutrients, the building blocks of all human flesh,
amino acids.

> [...]
> fat Gms: 1.056 0.206 Ttl
> polyunsaturated fat Gms:
> 1.044 0.177 Cholesterol Mg
> : 0.000 0.000 Sodium Mg :
> 7.000 5.000 Total dietary
> fiber Gms: 3.500 1.300
> Vitamin A Re : 0.000 0.000
> Vitamin A IU : 0.000 0.000
> Alpha tocopherol Mg : 0.680
> 0.110 Ascorbic acid Mg :
> 0.000 0.000 Thiamin Mg :
> 0.401 0.576 Riboflavin Mg :
> 0.093 0.049 Niacin Mg :
> 5.091 4.192 Vitamin B6 Mg :
> 0.509 0.164 Folacin Mcg:
> 20.000 8.000 Vitamin B12
> Mcg: 0.000 0.000
>
> **************
>
> No vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin b12. The frightening
> thing is that vitamin C cannot be created, it must be
> gotten from food. Any diet using these grains as the main
> source of carbohydrates will be deficient of these

Most grains cause agglutination of many blood types invitro

"George W. Cherry"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:4Zrtc.9815$Ly.1418@attbi_s01...

> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Three cereals: wheat, maize and rice together comprise
> > at least 75% of the world's grain production. It is
> > clear that humanity has become dependent upon cereal
> > grains for the majority of its food supply.
>
> Yes, if you are poor, grains are your best bet. But there
> are better grains than these. My fav- orite grains--
> indeed, the only grains I eat--are barley and oats. I soak
> and sprout them until their roots about one-quarter or three-
> eighth inch long and then I steam them. You seem to be
> coming around, tcomeau. If you'd like to order some
> organic barley or oats sprouting seeds, try
>
> http://www.sprouting.com/
>
> This is Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, located in Canada, but
> they ship overseas. If you would like any tips on how to
> sprout, cook, and pre- pare the seeds, ask on this
> newsgroup. Aren't whole grains wonderful? There's no need
> to cycle grains through animals to enjoy their nu-
> trition.
>
> GWC

"George W. Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<4Zrtc.9815$Ly.1418@attbi_s01>...
> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Three cereals: wheat, maize and rice together comprise
> > at least 75% of the world's grain production. It is
> > clear that humanity has become dependent upon cereal
> > grains for the majority of its food supply.
>
> Yes, if you are poor, grains are your best bet. But there
> are better grains than these. My fav- orite grains--
> indeed, the only grains I eat--are barley and oats. I soak
> and sprout them until their roots about one-quarter or three-
> eighth inch long and then I steam them. You seem to be
> coming around, tcomeau. If you'd like to order some
> organic barley or oats sprouting seeds, try
>
> http://www.sprouting.com/
>
> This is Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, located in Canada, but
> they ship overseas. If you would like any tips on how to
> sprout, cook, and pre- pare the seeds, ask on this
> newsgroup. Aren't whole grains wonderful? There's no need
> to cycle grains through animals to enjoy their nu-
> trition.
>
> GWC

Cereals are deficient in vitamins A, D and C. Barley and
oats are as well.

Barley amount 1.00 cup total weight 200.00 g Basic
Components nutrient amount %DV calories 270.00 calories
from fat 19.44 calories from saturated fat 3.64 protein
7.42 g carbohydrates 59.40 g dietary fiber 13.60 g 68.00
soluble fiber 2.76 g insoluble fiber 10.84 g sugar - total
1.40 g monosaccharides 0.00 g disaccharides 0.00 g other
carbs 44.40 g fat - total 2.16 g saturated fat 0.40 g mono
fat 0.28 g poly fat 1.22 g trans fatty acids 0.00 g
cholesterol 0.00 mg water 130.44 g ash 0.60 g Vitamins
nutrient amount %DV vitamin A IU 0.00 IU 0.00 vitamin A RE
0.00 RE A - carotenoid 0.00 RE 0.00 A - retinol 0.00 RE A -
beta carotene 0.00 mcg thiamin - B1 0.16 mg 14.55
riboflavin - B2 0.06 mg 5.45 niacin - B3 2.84 mg 20.29
niacin equiv 4.90 mg vitamin B6 0.18 mg 13.85 vitamin B12
0.00 mcg 0.00 biotin 0.00 mcg 0.00 vitamin C 0.00 mg 0.00
vitamin D IU 0.00 IU 0.00 vitamin D mcg 0.00 mcg vitamin E
alpha equiv 1.20 mg 8.00 vitamin E IU 1.78 IU vitamin E mg
3.12 mg folate 16.18 mcg 4.04 vitamin K 0.46 mcg 0.73
pantothenic acid 0.50 mg 10.00

Oats, Whole Grain amount 1.00 cup total weight 234.00 g
Basic Components nutrient amount %DV calories 145.08
calories from fat 21.06 calories from saturated fat 3.79
protein 6.08 g carbohydrates 25.27 g dietary fiber 3.98 g
19.90 soluble fiber 2.34 g insoluble fiber 1.64 g sugar -
total 0.94 g monosaccharides g disaccharides g other carbs
20.36 g fat - total 2.34 g saturated fat 0.42 g mono fat
0.75 g poly fat 0.87 g trans fatty acids g cholesterol 0.00
mg water 199.60 g ash 0.70 g Vitamins nutrient amount %DV
vitamin A IU 37.44 IU 0.94 vitamin A RE 4.68 RE A -
carotenoid 4.68 RE 0.09 A - retinol 0.00 RE A - beta
carotene mcg thiamin - B1 0.26 mg 23.64 riboflavin - B2 0.05
mg 4.55 niacin - B3 0.30 mg 2.14 niacin equiv 1.71 mg
vitamin B6 0.05 mg 3.85 vitamin B12 0.00 mcg 0.00 biotin mcg
0.00 vitamin C 0.00 mg 0.00 vitamin D IU 0.00 IU 0.00
vitamin D mcg 0.00 mcg vitamin E alpha equiv 0.23 mg 1.53
vitamin E IU 0.35 IU vitamin E mg 0.23 mg folate 9.36 mcg
2.34 vitamin K mcg 0.00 pantothenic acid 0.47 mg 9.40

The best use for cereals is to feed animals and then eat
the animals.

TC

"Pizza Gurl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Most grains cause agglutination of many blood types
> invitro

Actually, dear, I don't eat "grains". I eat seedlings, that
is, sprouted grains, as I explain below.

> "George W. Cherry"
> <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:4Zrtc.9815$Ly.1418@attbi_s01...
> >
> > "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Three cereals: wheat, maize and rice together comprise
> > > at least 75% of the world's grain production. It is
> > > clear that humanity has become dependent upon cereal
> > > grains for the majority of its food supply.
> >
> > Yes, if you are poor, grains are your best bet. But
> > there are better grains than these. My fav- orite grains--
> > indeed, the only grains I eat--are barley and oats. I
> > soak and sprout them until their roots about one-quarter
> > or three-eighth inch long and then I steam them. You
> > seem to be coming around, tcomeau. If you'd like to
> > order some organic barley or oats sprouting seeds, try
> >
> > http://www.sprouting.com/
> >
> > This is Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, located in Canada, but
> > they ship overseas. If you would like any tips on how to
> > sprout, cook, and pre- pare the seeds, ask on this
> > newsgroup. Aren't whole grains wonderful? There's no
> > need to cycle grains through animals to enjoy their nu-
> > trition.
> >
> > GWC

Fermented foods are great, life style is a personal choice,
one can take nutritianal info into account if desired.
Humans eat/have eaten whatever surrounds them, we were
designed to do so. The "problems" you mention don't seem to
be the norm in those parts of the world where the diet is
75 percent refined carbs. I think the low carb gospel will
soon catch up to reality as some serious research is now
being done.

>I guess we were meant to have run away yeast based
>digestion systems then. Diarrhea, constipation, bloating
>and big fat guts were meant to be.
>

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>net.com...
>> "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
>>
>> http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
>>
>> Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
>> rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
>> such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in the
>> charts are quite high in the sprout forms of plants,
>> remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of the devil.

I see my role as setting the feet firmly on the ground
based on research evidence questions and answers as applied
to nutrition.. There is no new paradymn demonstrated, only
some wishful thinking and marketing fluff by some authors
of diet books. Get over it, carbs are not evil. "Better"
with regard to what evidence based benchmark is the
question. The assumption that carbs/grains/beans are
assumed bad one only need then show sprouts are in some
ways similar is an empty exercise.

>> "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
>>
>> http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
>>
>> Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
>> rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
>> such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in the
>> charts are quite high in the sprout forms of plants,
>> remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of the devil.
>
>Sometimes the words give it away. Sprouts are not a whole
>lot better *relative* to the *grain*.
>
>You appear to be arguing and critiquing for no other
>reason than to be arguing and critiquing. Either you are
>way too uptight for no reason at all or you have a fiscal
>interest in opposing the new paradigm in nutrtional
>science. Which is it?
>
>TC

Ah, I now know the error of my ways, it is my belief system,
I picked the wrong nutritional guru at whose feet to
worship. No wait, an idea is forming, yes, here it is, due
to my present iron/carb status how else could I behave but
to be in such a poor state of understanding, to fail to
grasp the golden thread of the master and be led into
nutritional lala land.

>> I see my role as setting the feet firmly on the ground
>> based on research evidence questions and answers as
>> applied to nutrition..
>
>Then you have failed. Miserably, I may add.
>
>There is no new
>> paradymn demonstrated, only some wishful thinking and
>> marketing fluff by some authors of diet books.
>
>You believe what you want to believe, the rest of us will
>live in the real world.
>
>> Get over it, carbs are not evil.
>
>I've never said that.
>
>> "Better" with regard to what evidence based benchmark is
>> the question.
>
>No it is not. The last post was comparing sprouts to
>grains. Pretty damned straightforward for those of us who
>aren't mentally retarded.
>
>> The assumption that carbs/grains/beans are assumed bad
>> one only need then show sprouts are in some ways similar
>> is an empty exercise.
>
>Carbs, grains and beans are not the same and I have never
>lumped them together as if they were the same. That is a
>construct of your mentally deficient imagination,
>paraphrasing an idiot, an empty exercise.
>
>Your posts offer nothing to any of these discussions.
>Consider yourself killfiled.
>
>TC

>> >Sometimes the words give it away. Sprouts are not a
>> >whole lot better *relative* to the *grain*.
>> >
>> >You appear to be arguing and critiquing for no other
>> >reason than to be arguing and critiquing. Either you are
>> >way too uptight for no reason at all or you have a
>> >fiscal interest in opposing the new paradigm in
>> >nutrtional science. Which is it?
>> >
>> >TC

Ah, but an apple is neither a grain or bean, it is a highly
carb laden fancy bobble, a tool of the devil for sure.

message news:<6tutc.1317$4A6.467@attbi_s52>...
> [...]

Your posts offer nothing to any of these discussions.
Consider yourself killfiled.

TC

> >> "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> >>
> >> http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> >>
> >> Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> >> rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
> >> such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in
> >> the charts are quite high in the sprout forms of
> >> plants, remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of
> >> the devil.
> >
> >Sometimes the words give it away. Sprouts are not a whole
> >lot better *relative* to the *grain*.
> >
> >You appear to be arguing and critiquing for no other
> >reason than to be arguing and critiquing. Either you are
> >way too uptight for no reason at all or you have a fiscal
> >interest in opposing the new paradigm in nutrtional

Fermented foods meaning "breads" and other fermented,
yeasted grains?

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
net.com...

> Fermented foods are great, life style is a personal
> choice, one can take nutritianal info into account if
> desired. Humans eat/have eaten whatever surrounds them, we
> were designed to do so. The "problems" you mention don't
> seem to be the norm in those parts of the world where the
> diet is 75 percent refined carbs. I think the low carb
> gospel will soon catch up to reality as some serious
> research is now being done.
>

> >I guess we were meant to have run away yeast based
> >digestion systems
then.
> >Diarrhea, constipation, bloating and big fat guts were
> >meant to be.
> >

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >net.com...
> >> "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> >>
> >> http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> >>
> >> Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> >> rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
> >> such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in
> >> the charts are quite high in the sprout forms of
> >> plants, remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of
> >> the devil.

Maybe we can sell him a watch?

"George W. Cherry"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:Iv2vc.27954$IB.9097@attbi_s04...

> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> > >
> > > http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> > >
> > > Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> > > rhetoric, to
be
> > > able to say anything substantive about such things.
> > > Many of the
antiox
> > > goodies not shown in the charts are quite high in the
> > > sprout forms of plants, remember grains/beans are
> > > plants, not tools of the devil.
> >
> > Sometimes the words give it away. Sprouts are not a
> > whole lot better *relative* to the *grain*.
>
> The link you supplied shows that sprouts are many times
> richer in vital nutrients. Can you read the "Sprouts/Seeds
> Nutritional Ratio" column? Your author has a great deal
> more work to do on you-- you are still a mediocre program.
> As an Artificial Intelligence program, you are circa 1960.
> Get help from a competent AI programmer.
>
> GWC

"George W. Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Iv2vc.27954$IB.9097@attbi_s04>...
> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> > >
> > > http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> > >
> > > Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> > > rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
> > > such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in
> > > the charts are quite high in the sprout forms of
> > > plants, remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of
> > > the devil.
> >
> > Sometimes the words give it away. Sprouts are not a
> > whole lot better *relative* to the *grain*.
>
> The link you supplied shows that sprouts are many times
> richer in vital nutrients. Can you read the "Sprouts/Seeds
> Nutritional Ratio" column? Your author has a great deal
> more work to do on you-- you are still a mediocre program.
> As an Artificial Intelligence program, you are circa 1960.
> Get help from a competent AI programmer.
>
> GWC

Many times a small amount is still a small amount. Sprouts
are infinitely better in many ways to the grain themselves
but they are still no panacea.

TC

"George W. Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Kxovc.667$uY.346@attbi_s53>...
> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> net.com>...
> > "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> >
> > http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> >
> > Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> > rhetoric, to be able to say anything substantive about
> > such things. Many of the antiox goodies not shown in the
> > charts are quite high in the sprout forms of plants,
> > remember grains/beans are plants, not tools of the
> > devil.
>
> Are you sure? : o ) Didn't the devil in the form of a
> serpent persuade Eve to eat an apple?

Heheh, now that is funny. Tools of the devil indeed.

How do you like them apples?

"Wolfbrother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "George W. Cherry"
> <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<Kxovc.667$uY.346@attbi_s53>...
> > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> > net.com>...
> > > "Sprouts are not a whole lot better than the grain:
> > >
> > > http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprtnutr.html"
> > >
> > > Relative to what? One needs an accepted benchmark, not
> > > rhetoric, to
be
> > > able to say anything substantive about such things.
> > > Many of the
antiox
> > > goodies not shown in the charts are quite high in the
> > > sprout forms of plants, remember grains/beans are
> > > plants, not tools of the devil.
> >
> > Are you sure? : o ) Didn't the devil in the form of a
> > serpent persuade Eve to eat an apple?
>
> Heheh, now that is funny. Tools of the devil indeed.

Other things that are fermented are black tea, sauerkraut,
wine, beer, mead, hard cider, some pickles, green olives,
black olives, coffee, cacao, citron, vinegar, food yeast,
yeast cultures, soy sauce, miso, tamari sauce, tempeh,
chinese red yeast, natto, tofu, fermented wheat gluten aka
minchin, idli, poi, fermented fish, chinese preserved eggs,
sour cream, some cheeses, kefir, skyr, taette, yogurt,
acidophilus milk, and buttermilk.

Note also that other vegetables such as spinach, chard, beet
greens, mustard greens, turnip greens are prepared in a
manner like that of sauerkraut. Green tomatoes can be
fermented in a manner that is similar but slower.

I couldn't resist as the book was within reach........
Noyes