General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Nutritional yeast and brewer yeast

Started by Jupiter · · Last activity · 8 posts · 827 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 January 2004
Last activity
12 January 2004
Original author
Jupiter
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
827
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    Thanks in advance, Jupiter

  2. "Jupiter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.


    Cats cannot survive on a meat free diet. They're obligate carnivores.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks in advance, Jupiter

  3. Jupiter said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    As another poster has already replied, cats cannot be strictly vegetarian. They are obligate
    carnivores, meaning they *must* eat meat, or they will not get essential nutrients (the essential
    nutrient is the amino acid taurine).

    But more to the point, why do you think it's right for you to impose your pseudo-ethical beliefs
    on your cat?

  4. Jupiter said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    No. They're very different, and not interchangeable.

    Quoted message said:

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    Mail order or shop?

    Quoted message said:

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    NO. I realize there are some people who think cats can be vegan, but I find it morally reprehensible
    that such people arrogantly force their alternative lifestyle values on a helpless creature nature
    has seen fit to live by its own specific set of values. Cats do not eat rice and beans. They eat
    fish, mice, meat, and offal. Please don't go so loopy into veganism that you project your peculiar
    sensitivities onto other helpless species.

  5. [email hidden] (Jupiter) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    Thanks in advance, Jupiter

    No, brewers yeast is not at all like nutritional yeast. Don't be tempted to try and cook with
    brewers yeast as the results will be horrible!

    Some larger independent wholefood stores in the UK sell 'Engevita Nutirtional Yeast Flakes'. Or you
    can buy them on line at goodnessdirect.co.uk579698.html

    Cat's are natural carnivores so feeding a cat a veggie diet would be against it's nature. Dogs,
    however, are natural omnivores so one could consider giving a dog a veggie diet. That said there are
    many people who feed their cats a veggie diet and do so healthily. I am very much against this but
    you may want to read veganpet.com.aucats1.htm and vegpets.comvegpets.com for more
    information.

  6. If you love your cat you won't even think of putting him/her on a vegan
    diet - they are naturally carnivorous!
    "Jupiter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    Thanks in advance, Jupiter

  7. [email hidden] (Jupiter) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing as
    nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is possible
    for cat to be a vegan.

    Thanks in advance, Jupiter

    I know this is kind of a late reply but if you're still reading this you should know that cats have
    gone blind (or worse) from their owners trying to feed them on vegetarian or vegan diets.

    In fact not long ago there was an episode of "Animal Cops" where some cats were seized. Many were
    blind and most were nearly starved by the time the ASPCA could save them, because they'd been fed
    "Grape nuts".

    Dogs can handle it a lot better but they probably need some eggs now and then at least.

    -Rubystars

  8. "Jonathan Ball" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jupiter said:

    In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer yeast. Is it the same thing
    as nutritional yeast?

    Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

    PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching possibilities if it is
    possible for cat to be a vegan.

    As another poster has already replied, cats cannot be strictly vegetarian. They are obligate
    carnivores, meaning they *must* eat meat, or they will not get essential nutrients (the essential
    nutrient is the amino acid taurine).

    But more to the point, why do you think it's right for you to impose your pseudo-ethical beliefs
    on your cat?


    "Jupiter" might not want to buy meat if [s]he's vegan, so the decision whether or not to go ahead
    and buy an obligate carnivore will probably depend on it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.