o.t. anti virus software

Clive George wrote:

> The key is configuring the system to not run stuff you don't want, and not
> running stuff you don't trust. Well, I found it quite easy..

Firefox and Thunderbird are a good start down that route.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Sam Salt wrote:

> Because it updates faultlessly EVERY time instead of the haphazard ' no
> updates for days then go to the website and search for them because the
> server can't cope ' antics of AVG.

Never have that problem. Am running AVG on five machines all set to
auto-update once a day plus e-mail alerts to manual update if new
definitions come in during the day. Not failed once so far.

> Secondly it halts a prospective virus in its tracks and asks what is to be
> done with it.AVG used to let the virus in,tell you, and ask you to perform a
> full virus check to get rid of it.Which took about an hour.

Again not had a problem there although I very rarely get viruses etc
thanks to a good ISP, firewalls etc.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> Clive George wrote:
>

>> The key is configuring the system to not run stuff you don't want, and
>> not running stuff you don't trust. Well, I found it quite easy..
>>

> Firefox and Thunderbird are a good start down that route.

FSVO start - IE and OE are perfectly safe IME provided you don't use the
default configuration.

cheers,
clive

Tim <[email protected]> writes:

> On 2005-11-03, dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mike Causer wrote:

>>> Linux .....

>> Seconded
>> Dave

> As long as it's a real distro like Slackware or Debian:)
>
> Having put Ubuntu onto a machine for a colleague I was agreeably
> suprised by it's ease and shinyness whilst still being nicely Debian-y
> to configure from the command line (I don't get on with GUI configs.
> Bah!).

To me shiny isn't as important as customizable. Well, if it's
sufficiently customizable it can be made as shiny as anything.

> /me wonders how long it'll be before a *BSD is suggested

OpenBSD is touted as being among the most secure things you can run.
That doesn't really help, though, since you still need to run a
browser, and none of the browsers around come anywhere close to the
OpenBSD security standards (except possibly telnet).

While we're at it, Solaris could also be a reasonable choice.

--
Måns Rullgård
[email protected]

Add my vote for PC-cillin. Seems to find stuff others that I [have]
use[d] do not.

--
Peter Headland

On 2005-11-04, Måns Rullgård <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tim <[email protected]> writes:

[snip]
>> As long as it's a real distro like Slackware or Debian:)
>>
>> Having put Ubuntu onto a machine for a colleague I was agreeably
>> suprised by it's ease and shinyness whilst still being nicely Debian-y
>> to configure from the command line (I don't get on with GUI configs.
>> Bah!).

> To me shiny isn't as important as customizable. Well, if it's
> sufficiently customizable it can be made as shiny as anything.

Customisable certainly applies to Debian. Arguably LFS is as
customisable as you can get but apart from treating it as a learning
exercise it does border on masochism:)

>> /me wonders how long it'll be before a *BSD is suggested

> OpenBSD is touted as being among the most secure things you can run.
> That doesn't really help, though, since you still need to run a
> browser, and none of the browsers around come anywhere close to the
> OpenBSD security standards (except possibly telnet).
>
> While we're at it, Solaris could also be a reasonable choice.

Touting anything as "the most secure" always strikes me as a
little disingenuous- how secure a system actaully is obviously depending
enormously on the competence with which it has been installed and
configured etc. Although an OOTB OpenBSD install is very secure it also
lacks many of the bells and whisltes that you'd want to install to make
a friendly home desktop system for Joe Average.

Solaris 9 on an x86 system has been a suprisingly agreeable
experience when evaluating it. It's a real PITA to have to build from
source many of the odd little apps I use which I could just apt-get
install on a Debian system.
--
Tim.

[email protected]