General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

O/T completely off topic

Started by Col · · Last activity · 36 posts · 823 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 February 2005
Last activity
5 February 2005
Original author
Col
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
823
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jeff C said:
    Phil Cook said:

    Jeff C wrote: > Stop messing about with that Pocomail. Go back to
    the newsreader you were using before. -- Phil Cook looking north
    over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

    LOL, it was ok until one person said it wasn't, so I tweaked it and it
    went all wrong again. But seriously, let me know if this posting is
    ok.

    Are all my postings the wrong format or just one or two?

    It was just that one that came out in html, this one has come out
    plain text and wrapped at about the same as mine which is 70
    characters.

    However it isn't doing a good job of stripping signatures after the
    usual <dash dash space return> sig separator. Which I note, your sig
    doesn't have.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, Col
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I understand Dominic that you werent having a personal 'go' at me,
    (unlike some of your other colleagues on the newsgroup emailing me
    personally)

    I think it is very sad that people have decided to have a personal go at
    you and do not condone their actions. Although you are potentially
    benefiting from the scheme you are not the architect of it.

    Quoted message said:

    , I suggest that, if you feel so strongly about issues such as
    these, you take your concerns up with the charities concerned.

    You are probably right. However I expect it will be an uphill battle
    trying to get them to shift focus from the current budget to a potential
    future backlash from reaping this cash cow now.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I am
    hoping it will be an enjoyable experience both for myself and the people I
    am travelling with

    Good.

    Quoted message said:

    but it also be an arduous one and one which I will have
    trained hard for.

    Good - hopefully that will give you some long term benefits that
    continue when the trek becomes a memory. I do however wish that you
    would either fund the trip yourself or at least be up front about the
    cost coming from the sponsor money - e.g. on your justgiving page.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  3. Quoted message said:


    Lastly, if one of you walkers falls down and breaks a leg in a remote
    area - do remember to ask the rescue team how they were funded - and
    if you don't like the answer - tell them you'll stay where you are!

    If you can tell me which mountain rescue team is funded by the
    holiday-for-charity method then I'll stop donating money to it.

    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  4. Simon Caldwell said:
    Quoted message said:


    Lastly, if one of you walkers falls down and breaks a leg in a remote
    area - do remember to ask the rescue team how they were funded - and
    if you don't like the answer - tell them you'll stay where you are!

    If you can tell me which mountain rescue team is funded by the
    holiday-for-charity method then I'll stop donating money to it.

    That reminds me - I may have mentioned it before (?) - but there's a
    certain farmer in a nameless valley who defies the NP regulations and
    permits careful camping, donating all his (voluntary) campers' fees to
    the MRT.
    More power to his elbow, I say!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  5. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    That reminds me - I may have mentioned it before (?) - but there's a
    certain farmer in a nameless valley who defies the NP regulations and
    permits careful camping, donating all his (voluntary) campers' fees to
    the MRT.
    More power to his elbow, I say!


    Drop some hints please, so that more of us can not-go and not-
    camp there?
    --
    If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
    then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the
    situation.

  6. Fran said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    That reminds me - I may have mentioned it before (?) - but there's a
    certain farmer in a nameless valley who defies the NP regulations and
    permits careful camping, donating all his (voluntary) campers' fees to
    the MRT.
    More power to his elbow, I say!


    Drop some hints please, so that more of us can not-go and not-
    camp there?

    I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    expedition there every week!
    But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.

    And you think I'm going to share this!?!?

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  7. In message <[email hidden]>, Col
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It's bad enough to be accused on the newsgroup but to also receive emails
    into my personal inbox stating I am a fraud was not necessary. You know who
    you are!!

    It was me. I said in private what others have said in public. I
    suppose I thought it more reasonable to voice it to you directly.
    Clearly you think differently. Therefore this is what I said:

    One way to finance your holiday, isn't it?
    Most of us on uk.rec.walking would have another name for it - Fraud.

    I stand by it, with the exception of the word 'Most' which was not
    justified.

    I think it is a way for you to finance your holiday. I also think it is
    a fraudulent way of raising funds because it gives the impression that
    money given is going to a charity when a high proportion of it is
    funding your holiday. If you ask for money on false pretensions in a
    public newsgroup you can't be surprised if some people take you to task
    for it, either in public or privately (or in my case) both.

    I also think the charity involved (and the many others now similarly
    engaged) are acting unethically and I have Emailed them to express that
    view to them.

    [Posting deliberately delayed by 24 hours]

    --
    Michael Farthing
    Aardvark Ltd

  8. "Simon Caldwell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Lastly, if one of you walkers falls down and breaks a leg in a
    remote
    area - do remember to ask the rescue team how they were funded - and
    if you don't like the answer - tell them you'll stay where you are!

    If you can tell me which mountain rescue team is funded by the
    holiday-for-charity method then I'll stop donating money to it.

    --


    I did not suggest that mountain rescue teams were funded that way.

    My point was - if you were desperately in need of help, you would be
    glad of it, however it was funded!
    As an extreme example, would you say that you would manage without
    that help, and perhaps die, just because you didn't agree with the
    methods used to provide it?

  9. Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    expedition there every week!
    But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.

    And you think I'm going to share this!?!?


    For the last time - keep out of my bloody garden and shed, Rooney!
    --
    Gordon Harris

  10. Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    expedition there every week!
    But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.

    And you think I'm going to share this!?!?


    For the last time - keep out of my bloody garden and shed, Rooney!
    --
    Gordon Harris

  11. Gordon Harris said:

    Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    expedition there every week!
    But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.

    And you think I'm going to share this!?!?


    For the last time - keep out of my bloody garden and shed, Rooney!

    Ha ha! Sorry about the fire and the litter!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  12. "onlooker" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...
    snip

    Quoted message said:

    It never ceases to amaze me the ignorant way some people "talk" to total
    strangers in newsgroups!


    and snip

    You should read dutch newsgroups ! Urw will look like paradise to you :-!

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  13. Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Gordon Harris said:

    Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    expedition there every week!
    But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.

    And you think I'm going to share this!?!?


    For the last time - keep out of my bloody garden and shed, Rooney!

    Ha ha! Sorry about the fire and the litter!


    OK, but what happened to the hamster?
    --
    Gordon Harris

  14. Gordon Harris said:

    Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Gordon Harris said:

    Rooney <[email hidden]> writes
    >
    >I am under strict orders. One false slip and there'll be a urw
    >expedition there every week!
    >But there's more. You wander down to the little outside toilet in the
    >dead of night - as all campers are wont to do. Your camp fire is but a
    >faint glow beneath the bright stars. The dim light illuminates the
    >bright moths fluttering by. The owls ku-witt, not having read
    >Shakespeare. There is no other sound.
    >You enter, and your eyes wander down to the stack of stuff in the far
    >corner: it is a heap of cans of good beer. Should you take one, you
    >are trusted to pay at some convenient moment.
    >
    >And you think I'm going to share this!?!?
    >
    For the last time - keep out of my bloody garden and shed, Rooney!

    Ha ha! Sorry about the fire and the litter!


    OK, but what happened to the hamster?

    There was no hamster. I did find a small jam rolypoly though - tasted
    funny.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  15. On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:27:15 +0100, "theo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "onlooker" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...
    snip

    Quoted message said:

    It never ceases to amaze me the ignorant way some people "talk" to total
    strangers in newsgroups!


    and snip

    You should read dutch newsgroups ! Urw will look like paradise to you :-!

    This is one of the most civil ngs in existence!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

  16. Rooney <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:27:15 +0100, "theo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "onlooker" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...
    snip

    Quoted message said:

    It never ceases to amaze me the ignorant way some people "talk" to total
    strangers in newsgroups!


    and snip

    You should read dutch newsgroups ! Urw will look like paradise to you :-!

    This is one of the most civil ngs in existence!


    Oh no it isn't...
    --
    Gordon Harris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.