General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

O/T Hawthorn in leaf

Started by Robert Hill · · Last activity · 10 posts · 274 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 January 2005
Last activity
5 February 2005
Original author
Robert Hill
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
274
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral, a
    Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a week
    earlier than last year,and two weeks earlier than the year before that! Now,
    pessimists may say, ne'er cast a clout etc, but I suspect Spring is going to
    be bloomin early. And snowdrops were out in Llandudno immediately after
    Xmas.

    Well, I thought you should know.....

    Robert

  2. On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:16:39 -0000, "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral, a
    Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a week
    earlier than last year,and two weeks earlier than the year before that!

    Well I've just walked round to the offy (for some cough medicine[1])
    and I can confirm that this part of the Wirral is bloomin' chilly!

    Judith
    [1] They didn't have any. How come half the shop is now turned over
    to "groceries" and they've got nothing I want?! Good job I've already
    got a cupboard full of booze....... it's all cough medicine if you mix
    it right.

  3. "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:16:39 -0000, "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral, a
    Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a week
    earlier than last year,and two weeks earlier than the year before that!

    Well I've just walked round to the offy (for some cough medicine[1])
    and I can confirm that this part of the Wirral is bloomin' chilly!

    Judith
    [1] They didn't have any. How come half the shop is now turned over
    to "groceries" and they've got nothing I want?! Good job I've already
    got a cupboard full of booze....... it's all cough medicine if you mix
    it right.

    Snap, I got the cough as well, and yesterday blew me nose 6 million times.
    Anyway, I downloaded some Islay malt, which assisted a lot. Anyway, it's a
    tad chilly, you're right, but the hawthorn is in leaf at School Lane,
    Thurstaston.

    Robert

  4. "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral,
    a Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a
    week earlier than last year,and two weeks earlier than the year before
    that! Now, pessimists may say, ne'er cast a clout etc, but I suspect
    Spring is going to be bloomin early. And snowdrops were out in
    Llandudno immediately after Xmas.

    Well, I thought you should know.....

    Robert

    There's a patch on the side of Blackford Hill here in Edinburgh which
    seems to be the first out each year in these parts. I must go
    and investigate. I suspect this is still rather early though. We
    still have snowdrops in June.

    --
    Adrian

  5. "Robert Hill" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral, a
    Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a week
    earlier than last year,and two weeks earlier than the year before that!
    Now, pessimists may say, ne'er cast a clout etc, but I suspect Spring is
    going to be bloomin early. And snowdrops were out in Llandudno immediately
    after Xmas.


    Well the "boss" and I went for a stroll around Winkworth Arboretum on New
    Years day and there were quite a few species type Daffodils out in full
    bloom then. In our own garden Snowflakes are beginning to flower, only a few
    flowers atm but it won't be long before they are a shower of white.
    (Snowdrops are Galanthus species, the bigger Snowflakes are Leucojum)

    --
    Regards
    Bob
    In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

  6. "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]> wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    I should just like to announce that this morning, here in the Wirral, a
    Hawthorn bush was in partial leaf, mainly on the topside, which is a week

    There's a site that monitors this if you're interested -
    <URL:http://recording.phenology.org.uk/hawthorn.aspx>

    Daytona

  7. ....the'll get a shock next week then!!!

    https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/CGI/PUBLIC/wxmap_single.cgi?area=ngp_europeg&dtg=2005013000&prod=thk&tau=144

    could be the coldest for a few years

  8. On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:16:39 -0000, "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    pessimists may say, ne'er cast a clout

    Not so much pessimists as realists <g>.

    They say "...'til May be out". AFAIK, the "May" referred to is the
    Hawthorn blossom (not the leaf, so you'll need to wait awhile yet
    before shedding the pully!). So this much misunderstood old country
    saw carries the same message as your post - don't go by the calendar:
    instead take your cue from Nature.

    --
    Martyn Tindall
    Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    (To reply, please remove "spamfree.".)

  9. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Martyn B Tindall <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:16:39 -0000, "Robert Hill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    pessimists may say, ne'er cast a clout

    Not so much pessimists as realists <g>.

    They say "...'til May be out". AFAIK, the "May" referred to is the
    Hawthorn blossom (not the leaf, so you'll need to wait awhile yet
    before shedding the pully!). So this much misunderstood old country
    saw carries the same message as your post - don't go by the calendar:
    instead take your cue from Nature.

    May blossom never comes out round here until June. However today I saw
    my first clutch of spring lambs gambolling about, 800 ft up in
    Shropshire. I can only assume the farmer was an optimist, or the tup was
    an opportunist. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    May blossom never comes out round here until June. However today I saw
    my first clutch of spring lambs gambolling about, 800 ft up in
    Shropshire. I can only assume the farmer was an optimist, or the tup
    was an opportunist. 8>.

    There were lambs in evidence in the West Country last December !
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.