Obesity in the Netherlands

Greens wrote:

> Ha. I remember sitting in front of the tv when I was a kid. My mother, if
> she was home, would yell at me to go outside and play. Cartoons were
> tremendously entertaining to me at the time. Outside was taken for granted.
> Often it was cold and boring. Other kids were sometimes nasty. The lure of
> the womb like tv room was strong. You've got your tasty snacks, warmth, and
> nobody pushing you around. Complicating things is the fact that the minute
> you start putting on a few pounds, the other kids and adults step up the
> harassment. Reality becomes too much.

I tend to think that (in the USA) it has more to do with the prevalence
of processed food--in particular, the "instant"/microwave no-effort sort
of things. Not that I feel that the marketing or consumption of these
things should be /regulated/, but I have noticed that suburban US kids
tend to gravitate towards the easiest-to-prepare solution.

It'd be interesting to take a photo-survey of typical grocery stores in
various places, and compare that with the (observed) obesity rates.
~

On Oct 2, 2:02 am, "Jambo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > vey wrote:
> >> These fitness centers are all over the place now. No bike racks outside,
> >> but a big parking lot, which is packed.

> > I noticed that too. They say they need to exercise and then take the car
> > go to a fitness centre and drink a few energy drinks after working
> > out. .....

> Well, it's hard for many people to ride a bike to their gyms, since these
> places serve large locales. It's part of the point of gyms, anyway, that
> you do the exercising inside. Don't be too hard on the car drivers, it's
> better to take the car to the gym and exercise than to stay at home and be a
> couch potato.

Nice try, but no cigar. They are a bunch of lazy, inconsiderate, gas-
guzzling, carbon-dumping poseurs. They could sweat off their fat ass
by walking/running or riding to the gym, then never even have to walk
in the door, let alone cough up the membership. Don't make excuses for
them ... "hard"? Boo hoo, toughen up.

Derk who? wrote:
> vey wrote:
>> Personally, I can't think of anything as boring as
>> riding and exercise bicycle and a TV wouldn't make it any better,

> Same here. I can't ride even 5 minutes on my Tackx trainer. I prefer to
> cycle through rain, though I also hate that. A guy in my cycling group,
> (who climbed Mt Ventoux 7 times in 1 day btw), told me he never cycles
> outside during winter. I just couldn't believe it.
>
>> These fitness centers are all over the place now. No bike racks outside,
>> but a big parking lot, which is packed.

> I noticed that too. They say they need to exercise and then take the car to
> go to a fitness centre and drink a few energy drinks after working
> out. .....

I though "fitness centers" were primarily an alternative to bars [1] for
meeting people (of the appropriate gender).

[1] No smoke, less noise, and no drunks.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Doug Cimper wrote:

> I tend to think that (in the USA) it has more to do with the prevalence
> of processed food--in particular, the "instant"/microwave no-effort sort
> of things....

If your normal work day consisted of 12+ hours of high stress, you would
most likely not want to spend a lot of time cooking.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> Doug Cimper wrote:
>>
>> I tend to think that (in the USA) it has more to do with the
>> prevalence of processed food--in particular, the "instant"/microwave
>> no-effort sort of things....

> If your normal work day consisted of 12+ hours of high stress, you would
> most likely not want to spend a lot of time cooking.

Which is why Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals show is so popular.

> Doug Cimper wrote:
>> I tend to think that (in the USA) it has more to do with the
>> prevalence of processed food--in particular, the "instant"/microwave
>> no-effort sort of things....

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> If your normal work day consisted of 12+ hours of high stress, you would
> most likely not want to spend a lot of time cooking.

sorta personality dependent isn't it? I dated an ER/IC nurse who just
loved time in the kitchen. Personally, a half hour with a book seems
more compelling than a half hour of prep/cleanup. YMMV, no wrong answers.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi mused:
>> Doug Cimper wrote:
>>> I tend to think that (in the USA) it has more to do with the
>>> prevalence of processed food--in particular, the "instant"/microwave
>>> no-effort sort of things....

> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> If your normal work day consisted of 12+ hours of high stress, you
>> would most likely not want to spend a lot of time cooking.

> sorta personality dependent isn't it? I dated an ER/IC nurse who just
> loved time in the kitchen. Personally, a half hour with a book seems
> more compelling than a half hour of prep/cleanup. YMMV, no wrong answers.

Cooking would cut into my cycling Usenet group time. ;)

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 2, 2:02 am, "Jambo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Well, it's hard for many people to ride a bike to their gyms, since these
>> places serve large locales. It's part of the point of gyms, anyway, that
>> you do the exercising inside. Don't be too hard on the car drivers, it's
>> better to take the car to the gym and exercise than to stay at home and
>> be a
>> couch potato.

> Nice try, but no cigar. They are a bunch of lazy, inconsiderate, gas-
> guzzling, carbon-dumping poseurs. They could sweat off their fat ass
> by walking/running or riding to the gym, then never even have to walk
> in the door, let alone cough up the membership. Don't make excuses for
> them ... "hard"? Boo hoo, toughen up.

Seems to me someone has an axe to grind...

In article <[email protected]>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carl Fogel wrote:
> >
> > Okay, you asked for the bad news (and a really awful pun):
> >
> > "How high can we go? 'The Norwegians did a study 20 years ago on
> > height, weight, and longevity and found that mortality rates as a
> > function of height were U shaped. People who are very, very tall die
> > at much higher rates,' Steckel said."
> >
> > http://www.oberlin.edu/alummag/oamcurrent/oam_may99/tall.html

> It must be from walking into doorways, stooping over low countertops,
> flying coach class in origami fashion, and keeping the grumpy little
> goblins at bay. All that can wear a guy out.
>
> Chalo

Hee hee! I suspect that accidental death is not an unmeasureable
component of the problems of the tall and short, but more likely is that
many tall and short people are suffering from a disease (of which height
may be only one effect).

On top of those factors, the very tall, as you know, often stress their
bodies more. More weight, longer levers, more blood needs to be pushed
greater distances by the heart, etc.

On Oct 2, 11:46 am, "Jambo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Oct 2, 2:02 am, "Jambo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Well, it's hard for many people to ride a bike to their gyms, since these
> >> places serve large locales. It's part of the point of gyms, anyway, that
> >> you do the exercising inside. Don't be too hard on the car drivers, it's
> >> better to take the car to the gym and exercise than to stay at home and
> >> be a
> >> couch potato.

> > Nice try, but no cigar. They are a bunch of lazy, inconsiderate, gas-
> > guzzling, carbon-dumping poseurs. They could sweat off their fat ass
> > by walking/running or riding to the gym, then never even have to walk
> > in the door, let alone cough up the membership. Don't make excuses for
> > them ... "hard"? Boo hoo, toughen up.

> Seems to me someone has an axe to grind...

You could say that. Not only the fact that these people in their
usually overlarge cars make my cycling dangerous, but also that peak
oil and climate change are with us and they carry on ***** nilly,
gulping and burping. Why would anyone make excuses for them? Seems to
me it is past time for people to act responsibly.

Donga who? wrote:
> You could say that. Not only the fact that these people in their
> usually overlarge cars make my cycling dangerous, but also that peak
> oil and climate change are with us and they carry on ***** nilly,
> gulping and burping. Why would anyone make excuses for them? Seems to
> me it is past time for people to act responsibly.

HEY! I am rooting for hominid self-extinction. LET'S DRILL AND BURN THAT
OIL!

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Oct 2, 12:44 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Donga who? wrote:
> > You could say that. Not only the fact that these people in their
> > usually overlarge cars make my cycling dangerous, but also that peak
> > oil and climate change are with us and they carry on ***** nilly,
> > gulping and burping. Why would anyone make excuses for them? Seems to
> > me it is past time for people to act responsibly.

> HEY! I am rooting for hominid self-extinction. LET'S DRILL AND BURN THAT
> OIL!

Hehe, with that attitude, who needs gyms? Just eat yourself into lipid
oblivion! :)

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 01:26:12 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear Chalo,
>
>Okay, you asked for the bad news (and a really awful pun):
>
>"How high can we go? 'The Norwegians did a study 20 years ago on
>height, weight, and longevity and found that mortality rates as a
>function of height were U shaped. People who are very, very tall die
>at much higher rates,' Steckel said."

More than 100%?

DougC wrote:

> Secondly--the average Netherlands rider may ride frequently, but doesn't
> necessarily bicycle all that far.

Yes. And when we cycle, other than for sport, we do it mainly because it
requires even *less* physical effort than walking (the same short
distances).

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> Derk who? wrote:
>> vey wrote:

> I though "fitness centers" were primarily an alternative to bars [1] for
> meeting people (of the appropriate gender).
>
> [1] No smoke, less noise, and no drunks.

Not so much anymore. Now they advertise separation of the sexes as a
selling point and ban skimpy clothing. I'm told that the clothing on the
models in their advertising wouldn't be allowed in the club.

nmp wrote:
> DougC wrote:
>
>> Secondly--the average Netherlands rider may ride frequently, but doesn't
>> necessarily bicycle all that far.

> Yes. And when we cycle, other than for sport, we do it mainly because it
> requires even *less* physical effort than walking (the same short
> distances).

Isn't that why we use a mechanical device like a bicycle? To gain a
mechanical advantage and expend less energy than by doing it the harder
way? That's what I thought, anyway.

vey wrote:

> nmp wrote:
>> DougC wrote:
>>
>>> Secondly--the average Netherlands rider may ride frequently, but
>>> doesn't necessarily bicycle all that far.

>> Yes. And when we cycle, other than for sport, we do it mainly because
>> it requires even *less* physical effort than walking (the same short
>> distances).

> Isn't that why we use a mechanical device like a bicycle? To gain a
> mechanical advantage and expend less energy than by doing it the harder
> way? That's what I thought, anyway.

Yes, taking the bike is the lazy option.

Eric Vey wrote:
> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> Derk who? wrote:
>>> Eric Vey wrote:

>> I though "fitness centers" were primarily an alternative to bars [1]
>> for meeting people (of the appropriate gender).
>>
>> [1] No smoke, less noise, and no drunks.
>>

> Not so much anymore. Now they advertise separation of the sexes as a
> selling point and ban skimpy clothing.

What is the point of going then?

> I'm told that the clothing on the
> models in their advertising wouldn't be allowed in the club.

Blair P. Houghton will not being going to gym much then:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/43ec84642c2b9f84?dmode=source>.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

> If your normal work day consisted of 12+ hours of high stress, you would
> most likely not want to spend a lot of time cooking.

A lot of people would say the same about cycling.

I quite enjoy cooking, once I get off my **** and get started, a bit
like riding the bike.

--
Andy Morris