Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Octalink or ISIS BB ???

Started by Eddymerkx · · Last activity · 17 posts · 2,060 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 January 2004
Last activity
1 February 2004
Original author
Eddymerkx
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,060
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

  2. My LBS owner recommended the Octalink. The comment was that the Shimano Octalink was smoother than
    the ISIS brackets from other companies.

    I picked the Octalink but the owner of the LBS was using the ISIS and said it was more than
    acceptable.

    Apparently they both are fine, it's a manufacturers preference.

    "EdDyMeRkX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20040127201153.27163.00000928@mb-
    m11.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you


    choose and

    Quoted message said:

    why. Thanks for your input.

  3. "EdDyMeRkX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you


    choose and

    Quoted message said:

    why. Thanks for your input.

    Although I have 4 sets of Octalink cranks, if I were to have to choose right now, I'd probably go
    ISIS. Octalink is on the way out... That new "Bullseye" style crank is on the way in.

    My $.02

    Mike

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose


    and

    Quoted message said:

    why. Thanks for your input.

    ISIS simply because Shimano is probably going to drop support for octalink in the near future.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,


    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    says...

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you


    choose

    Quoted message said:

    and

    Quoted message said:

    why. Thanks for your input.

    ISIS simply because Shimano is probably going to drop support for octalink in the near future.
    -------------
    Alex


    Even though I chimed in with the same answer above, you can still find square-taper BBs around, as
    well as 7400/7401 cranksets, etc. you just have to look harder.

    Mike

  6. (EdDyMeRkX) said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    ISIS. The chance of developing backlash in the crank-spindle interface is practically nil, whereas
    it is at least theoretically possible with the Shimano design. Also, it's easy to schmutz up the
    splines in the crank with the Shimano design.

    Thus far I have been pleased with the ISIS BB and brank on one of my bikes. I have a philosophical
    issue with it as well. ISIS is an open-source free standard, like the GPL and the GNU/Linux system.
    Free (as in speech, but free as in beer is OK too) is good. I'm not a fan of exclusive proprietary
    designs in general, but even more so when a freely distributed technology and is as good or better
    is available.

  7. eddy-<< I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of
    an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. >><BR><BR>

    ISIS, better design and Octalink is being abandoned by shimano.

    pretty cheeky e-mail address BTW...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    eddy-<< I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset


    soon and

    Quoted message said:

    I have a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you


    choose and

    Quoted message said:

    why. >><BR><BR>

    ISIS, better design and Octalink is being abandoned by shimano.

    pretty cheeky e-mail address BTW...

    I didn't even notice that...

    Mike

    Quoted message said:

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  9. On 28 Jan 2004 01:11:53 GMT, [email hidden] (EdDyMeRkX) may have

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all of
    the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  10. personally, i think octalink is a better design. and the internal machining inside the spindle of
    the dura-ace bb shows the lengths to which shimano go to make it competitive. check in there with a
    flashlight some time. impressive.

    also, i've only looked briefly, but has anyone seen a pic of a broken octalink spindle? there's
    loads for solids on the net, and sheldon's famous isis failure, but any octalinks? it's a factor
    worth consideration.

    jb

    EdDyMeRkX said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

  11. Werehatrack said:
    (EdDyMeRkX) may have said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all
    of the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.

    does anyone /know/ this to be fact? as pointed out earlier in this thread, shimano still sell their
    famous un72, and how long is it since octalink came out? also, fsa have recently licenced the
    octalink design. if i were them, i'd have checked into continuing support for my licence and
    wouldn't be re-tooling unless my shimano contract was crystal clear on continuation for a reasonable
    pay-back period.

    - not saying you're wrong, i just want to filter the rumor. any shimano folks available to answer???

    jb

  12. jim beam <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Werehatrack said:
    (EdDyMeRkX) may have said:

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all
    of the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.

    does anyone /know/ this to be fact? as pointed out earlier in this thread, shimano still sell
    their famous un72, and how long is it since octalink came out? also, fsa have recently licenced
    the octalink design. if i were them, i'd have checked into continuing support for my licence and
    wouldn't be re-tooling unless my shimano contract was crystal clear on continuation for a
    reasonable pay-back period.

    - not saying you're wrong, i just want to filter the rumor. any shimano folks available to
    answer???

    jb

    Dear Jim,

    The fact that my bottom bracket is Octalink and that I recently bought a spare strongly suggests
    that it will not only soon be discontinued, but possibly subject to a massive recall.

    Glumly,

    Eeyore

  13. Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.

    Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design, they
    have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    It is patented.

    It is proprietory

    If you want Octalink, you own Shimano.

    Let the rumours role, as it seems that rumors are all I am hearing. Quote one article or reference
    one site that notes this other than this newsgroup.

  14. "MGS" <[email hidden](remove the remove)> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.

    Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design, they
    have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    It is patented.

    It is proprietory

    If you want Octalink, you own Shimano.

    Let the rumours role, as it seems that rumors are all I am hearing. Quote one article or reference
    one site that notes this other than this newsgroup.

    Dear MGS,

    You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.

    Winnie the Pooh

    P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Carl Fogel) said:

    "MGS" <[email hidden](remove the remove)> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.

    Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design,
    they have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    Quoted message said:

    Dear MGS,

    You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.

    Winnie the Pooh

    P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.

    Given his age, location, and general yearning for simplicity, I've always seen him as a singlespeed
    rider. Not fixie, though.

    Or maybe a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  16. Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Carl

    Fogel) said:

    "MGS" <[email hidden](remove the remove)> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.

    Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design,
    they have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    Quoted message said:

    Dear MGS,

    You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.

    Winnie the Pooh

    P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.

    Given his age, location, and general yearning for simplicity, I've always seen him as a
    singlespeed rider. Not fixie, though.

    Or maybe a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub,

    Dear Ryan,

    Whatever Christopher Robin rides, I see training wheels.

    Carl Fogel

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Werehatrack said:
    jim beam may have said:

    ok, ask wayne whether they'll continue producing decent quality octalink spindles like they do
    un72's. we know they're bringing out the new stuff.

    I doubt that they'll stop making the BBs as long as there's significant demand, although it would
    not surprise me if the number of choices in that area was trimmed. Cranks, though, have already
    started to diminish in selection in the current lineup, and that trend is unlikely to change.

    I have no dog in this hunt, but BBs are cheap enough that if your crank needs replacement, shelling
    out for a BB is no big deal. Therefore, it's pretty reasonable to curtail crank availability while
    still producing lots of BBs.

    Quoted message said:

    I haven't looked, when did Octalink first appear? Are we approaching the expiration of the patent?
    If so, that would explain their progressive shift to the Next Big Thing.

    I keep wondering when they're going to decide that the old English BB shell is just going to have
    to go away in favor of something they have invented and controlled. (If they did it, of course,
    they'd be oh-so-genteel about licensing the *shell* design for a tiny pittance to every bike
    builder who agreed not to put anything but a Shimano crank on their bikes...)

    One reason Octalink is going away is because it was an engineering dog. It solved some problems with
    square tapers, but created others. If it wasn't a problem group, it probably would have propagated
    into Tiagra and Deore just as those groups now have 9 speeds.

    The engineering types whose opinions here are worth the name 'expert' have been pretty happy with
    the Dura-Ace/XTR/XT BB and crank design, suggesting it's a winner. It doesn't affect me much,
    because I'm not hard on cranks, but for the strong riders and the long-distance riders, a tough,
    lightweight approach to the BB and cranks is a good thing.

    Ironically, Shimano has shown no interest in changing either BB or rear axle specs, but there are
    movements among mountain bike and component makers to do both. The ISIS people have proposed an
    oversized BB shell spec, and larger rear axles are being seen on many new designs. Instead,
    Shimano's latest and greatest stuff is specifically conservative here: the new BB system is designed
    for a standard-diameter BB (well, many of them 🙂, and the Saint group resisted pressure to go for
    an oversize axle, even as some bike makers called for it to do so (Shimano says it's plenty strong
    as is. I say the ability of serious huckers to break stuff cannot be compensated for by any design.

    hopelessly behind the times in 8-speed square-taper land,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.