*odd* ingredient she *always* added was 1 whole English walnut *in the shell*. The walnut was discarded after cooking. Any idea what purpose that served?
Maybe originally (at the times of your grand-grand-grandparents) it was a non-dry walnut, and the distinction between dry and fresh has been forgot? A fresh walnut could have added some tannins and other vegetable flavours, or even some astringency / acidity. I'm guessing this because a dry walnut can do just nothing for a recipe, so it looks senseless. -- Vilco Think pink, drink rose'
"Vilco" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Wayne Boatwright said:
*odd* ingredient she *always* added was 1 whole English walnut *in the shell*. The walnut was discarded after cooking. Any idea what purpose that served?
Maybe originally (at the times of your grand-grand-grandparents) it was a non-dry walnut, and the distinction between dry and fresh has been forgot? A fresh walnut could have added some tannins and other vegetable flavours, or even some astringency / acidity. I'm guessing this because a dry walnut can do just nothing for a recipe, so it looks senseless. -- Vilco Think pink, drink rose'
I have to admit that my first image was of a "dried" whole pomegrante, the kind that you buy in a middle-eastern grocery. It is possible that grandma found one of these where she lived? Dee Dee
"Lisa Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Phyllis - whereabouts in Southern Indiana? My people are from Jackson County, primarily.
I'm going to say Spencer County because that is the only one I remember, I grew up in Tx., but as far back as there was family they lived in Boonville, Gentryville and Evanville.
On Mon, 22 May 2006 14:00:23 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, T <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
Quoted message said:
I happen to love brussel sprouts. Found a recipe that had walnut meats and brussel sprouts that was just fantastic. Keyron didn't like it all that much but I love bitter stuff, he doesn't.
When my grandmother cooked blackeyed peas, she usually added a small chunk of bacon, fatback, or a smoked ham hock, along with a pinch of dried red pepper flakes or a chopped hot pepper, and an onion. The *odd* ingredient she *always* added was 1 whole English walnut *in the shell*. The walnut was discarded after cooking. Any idea what purpose that served?
The only thing I've heard is that adding a whole walnut to the pot is supposed to cut the smell of cabbage cooking.
When my grandmother cooked blackeyed peas, she usually added a small chunk of bacon, fatback, or a smoked ham hock, along with a pinch of dried red pepper flakes or a chopped hot pepper, and an onion. The *odd* ingredient she *always* added was 1 whole English walnut *in the shell*. The walnut was discarded after cooking. Any idea what purpose that served?
The only thing I've heard is that adding a whole walnut to the pot is supposed to cut the smell of cabbage cooking.