Odds of Shimano and Campy 10 spacing being compatible?

Gary Jacobson

Guest
Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in buying.
If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am working on.

I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.

Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
work with Campy 10.

How would William Bennett pick the odds?

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Gary Jacobson wrote:
> Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
> buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
> working on.
>
> I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
> campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.
>
> Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
> cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
> compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
> work with Campy 10.

I'd bet money that the Shimano setup will be compatible. There's just not that much room to
play with.

Sheldon "Limited Options" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
| He not busy being born is busy dying. | -Bob Dylan |
+-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Well, I'm riding my third year on a Hugi Compact (Shimano) hub adapted with Wheels Manufacturing spacers with Campy Veloce 9 brifters/ derailiers. One of my spacers wore down but it was easily replaced. I don't necessarily think that the spacer wear was due to manufacturing errors or anything like that. Have you heard anything about these that I should be aware of?

I see on http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html (the first hit I got with search & have a link to the spacers) that Wheels makes a 10 now & also say "Mavic - All wheelsets are fully compatible"

STI 10 sp will shift Camy 10 cassettes with little modification. I'll lay $11 to your $10.

On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:12:01 GMT, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
>cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
>compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
>work with Campy 10.

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> STI 10 sp will shift Camy 10 cassettes with little modification. I'll lay $11 to your $10.
>

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:12:01 GMT, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10
> >speed cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
> >compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
> >work with Campy 10.

Will Shemongo move their rt flange as close to the ctr. as Campy has to accommodate 10 cogs? God
I hope not! Shemongo's is already too far to the ctr. and Campy is worse, requiring an absurd
amount of dish.

John

I've heard of nothing regarding your adaptation. It's just that I'd prefer a deeper range of gears
like that afforded with Campy 13-29. I think using Shimano 105 cogs on a Shimano splined hub with
Campy spacers limits the big cog to something significantly less than a 29. Maybe there is a mtn.
bike cassette than can be used in place of 105.

I think the 9 to 9 conversion is great. Loosing a cog by going from 10 to 9 is less
satisfactory to me.

GJ

"ajcoles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, I'm riding my third year on a Hugi Compact (Shimano) hub adapted with Wheels Manufacturing
> spacers with Campy Veloce 9 brifters/ derailiers. One of my spacers wore down but it was easily
> replaced. I don't necessarily think that the spacer wear was due to manufacturing errors or
> anything like that. Have you heard anything about these that I should be aware of?
>
> I see on http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html (the first hit I got with search & have a
> link to the spacers) that Wheels makes a 10 now & also say "Mavic - All wheelsets are fully
> compatible"

gary-<< Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
working on.

Word is that shimano 10s will work with 'other manufacturers' 10s chains(current BRAIN) so I think
the spacing is gonna be pretty close to Campagnolo.

Simply contact your Mavic dealer for the correct parts. According to a Japanese 1998 technical
manual it uses an FTS freehub body system. This was used by other wheels in the range such as 2000
Cosmic Carbones, 2000 Kysrium SSC's, classics pro, and heliums. So all you need do is swap the
freehub body for a campy compatible unit (or the mavic cc9 version that is also compatible), and
perhaps swap out the axle as well. Your Mavic rep should be able to tell you for sure. I can say
that Mavic hubs are easy to tear apart and put back together with an allen wrench. Bummer that the
S-Brand and Campy didnt use the same user-friendly idea (and I ride both!)

Jason

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
> buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
> working on.
>
> I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
> campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.
>
> Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10
> speed cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
> compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that
> wouldn't work
with
> Campy 10.
>
> How would William Bennett pick the odds?
>
> Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

John:

Is it an absurd amount of dish if durable wheels can be built with them, even under "extreme"
conditions? I go between 205 and 225 (depending on where in the season we are) and my 32 hole Campy
10v wheels have held up for three years (OP rims).

App

news:<[email protected]>...