Odds of Shimano and Campy 10 spacing being compatible?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, May 18, 2003.

  1. Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in buying.
    If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am working on.

    I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
    campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.

    Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
    cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
    compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
    work with Campy 10.

    How would William Bennett pick the odds?

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. Gary Jacobson wrote:
    > Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
    > buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
    > working on.
    >
    > I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
    > campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.
    >
    > Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
    > cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
    > compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
    > work with Campy 10.

    I'd bet money that the Shimano setup will be compatible. There's just not that much room to
    play with.

    Sheldon "Limited Options" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
    | He not busy being born is busy dying. | -Bob Dylan |
    +-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. ajcoles

    ajcoles New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2003
    Well, I'm riding my third year on a Hugi Compact (Shimano) hub adapted with Wheels Manufacturing spacers with Campy Veloce 9 brifters/ derailiers. One of my spacers wore down but it was easily replaced. I don't necessarily think that the spacer wear was due to manufacturing errors or anything like that. Have you heard anything about these that I should be aware of?

    I see on http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html (the first hit I got with search & have a link to the spacers) that Wheels makes a 10 now & also say "Mavic - All wheelsets are fully compatible"

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    STI 10 sp will shift Camy 10 cassettes with little modification. I'll lay $11 to your $10.

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:12:01 GMT, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10 speed
    >cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
    >compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
    >work with Campy 10.

  5. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > STI 10 sp will shift Camy 10 cassettes with little modification. I'll lay $11 to your $10.
    >

    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:12:01 GMT, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10
    > >speed cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
    > >compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that wouldn't
    > >work with Campy 10.

    Will Shemongo move their rt flange as close to the ctr. as Campy has to accommodate 10 cogs? God
    I hope not! Shemongo's is already too far to the ctr. and Campy is worse, requiring an absurd
    amount of dish.

    John

  6. I've heard of nothing regarding your adaptation. It's just that I'd prefer a deeper range of gears
    like that afforded with Campy 13-29. I think using Shimano 105 cogs on a Shimano splined hub with
    Campy spacers limits the big cog to something significantly less than a 29. Maybe there is a mtn.
    bike cassette than can be used in place of 105.

    I think the 9 to 9 conversion is great. Loosing a cog by going from 10 to 9 is less
    satisfactory to me.

    GJ

    "ajcoles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I'm riding my third year on a Hugi Compact (Shimano) hub adapted with Wheels Manufacturing
    > spacers with Campy Veloce 9 brifters/ derailiers. One of my spacers wore down but it was easily
    > replaced. I don't necessarily think that the spacer wear was due to manufacturing errors or
    > anything like that. Have you heard anything about these that I should be aware of?
    >
    > I see on http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html (the first hit I got with search & have a
    > link to the spacers) that Wheels makes a 10 now & also say "Mavic - All wheelsets are fully
    > compatible"

  7. gary-<< Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
    buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
    working on.

    Word is that shimano 10s will work with 'other manufacturers' 10s chains(current BRAIN) so I think
    the spacing is gonna be pretty close to Campagnolo.

  8. Jason Wright

    Jason Wright Guest

    Simply contact your Mavic dealer for the correct parts. According to a Japanese 1998 technical
    manual it uses an FTS freehub body system. This was used by other wheels in the range such as 2000
    Cosmic Carbones, 2000 Kysrium SSC's, classics pro, and heliums. So all you need do is swap the
    freehub body for a campy compatible unit (or the mavic cc9 version that is also compatible), and
    perhaps swap out the axle as well. Your Mavic rep should be able to tell you for sure. I can say
    that Mavic hubs are easy to tear apart and put back together with an allen wrench. Bummer that the
    S-Brand and Campy didnt use the same user-friendly idea (and I ride both!)

    Jason

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here I am with a nice pair of Shimano splined Mavic 601 hubs that no one seems interested in
    > buying. If I could find a buyer, or a trader I'd just use Campy hubs for a 10 speed project I am
    > working on.
    >
    > I know there are conversion kits and spacers available to permit use of 9 Shimano 105 cogs with
    > campy spacers on a the 601 hub. It's not entirely satisfactory.
    >
    > Am I just dreaming when I think there is a good chance that the Shimano spacing for their 10
    > speed cassette that we are suppose to see next year, should work with Campy. Aren't the 9 speeds
    > compatible? Seems that Shimano would have to go out of their way to develop spacing that
    > wouldn't work
    with
    > Campy 10.
    >
    > How would William Bennett pick the odds?
    >
    > Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

  9. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    John:

    Is it an absurd amount of dish if durable wheels can be built with them, even under "extreme"
    conditions? I go between 205 and 225 (depending on where in the season we are) and my 32 hole Campy
    10v wheels have held up for three years (OP rims).

    App

    news:<[email protected]>...