off season recovery on a fast recumbent

wahoodoggydoo

Dec 17, 2004
You may have the opportunity to extend your racing career by adding a fast recumbent to your stable for off season recovery while maintaining or even increasing miles. Many of the health issues encountered on a road bike do not occur on a recumbent.

If you haven't followed the recumbent industry lately, there has been a fundamental change in the last few years with the increased popularity of the 'highracer' style recumbent. These are dual 650c bikes that are compatible in a road bike pace line. They have respectable weight and component sets. Frames are available in carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, and chrome moly.

In the past and even now, dedicated cyclists switch to recumbents as a last resort when health issues force them off their road bikes. I propose a paradigm shift where recumbents become your off season road bike allowing you to recover from health issues during the off season without having to take time off the bike.

Here are links to a few popular 'highracer' recumbent manufacturers:
http://www.bacchettabikes.com/
http://www.volaerecumbents.com/
http://www.ransbikes.com/F5XP.htm

John Groweg

wahoodoggydoo said:
You may have the opportunity to extend your racing career by adding a fast recumbent to your stable for off season recovery while maintaining or even increasing miles. Many of the health issues encountered on a road bike do not occur on a recumbent.

What health issues, improper bike fit? if so, a recub can cause health issues to if not fit properly.

zaskar said:
What health issues, improper bike fit? if so, a recub can cause health issues to if not fit properly.
Health issues related to years of road bike riding not encountered on recumbents:

Saddle soreness - best case. Erectile dysfunction and fertility issues - worst case.

Aggravation or source of disk problems in neck and back.

Hand numbness - best case. Carpal tunnel syndrome - worst case.

One major health issue not resolved by the recumbent riding position is knee related problems. Bike fit, shoe fit, pedal choice, cadence, and crank choice apply here.

To stay a little more objective, recumbents with high bottom brackets can cause foot numbness.

JFG

wahoodoggydoo said:
Erectile dysfunction ... - worst case.

Wow - maybe I've been road biking to much becuase I've been having this problem a little. Did 3080 miles last year.

JTE83 said:
Wow - maybe I've been road biking to much becuase I've been having this problem a little. Did 3080 miles last year.
most erectile problems can be corrected by getting a better saddle... one with a split that promotes blood flow in that area of the body.

-Bullseye

Bullseye_blam said:
most erectile problems can be corrected by getting a better saddle... one with a split that promotes blood flow in that area of the body.

-Bullseye
My concept would call for a split saddle on a road bike during racing season and a recumbent saddle in the off season where that area of the body doesn't even make contact with the saddle. If you don't have any health issues on a road bike, then buying a recumbent would be pretty expensive. If you do have health issues now or in the future, there are options you may not have considered in the past. That's why I started this thread...

JFG