Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Oh Great and Mighty Puncture Deities.

Started by Tamyka Bell · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,113 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 January 2006
Last activity
24 January 2006
Original author
Tamyka Bell
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,113
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What a morning! I only got to uni at 1000h, two hours after leaving
    for my 30min commute. Seriously. I spent the last 10 minutes in the
    bike
    room, putting on my new bidon cages, and mounting my new pump.

    I bought a new pump because my old pump was broken. I found out the old
    pump was broken because I got a puncture on Stanley St. I checked, and
    there was a small piece of glass wedged in a small crack in the tyre. I
    dug it out, and a pinprick of daylight came through, but I didn't want
    to waste $5 in my tyre for a pinprick, so I just put some old tube in
    there.

    When I went to pump up the new tube, I couldn't get it much past about
    20psi. So I walked back to Planet Cycle at Woolloongabba, hoping to use
    their pump, and instead discovered that while opening at 0830h on
    weekdays, they don't open at all on Monday.

    Back to the handpump. I took the tube out again just to make sure there
    were no holes hiding anywhere, but it seemed okay, so I tried again to
    pump it up - without success. Just when I thought I would never make it
    to uni, a handsome knight in shining armour rolled up on his shiny
    steed, and asked if I needed a hand. I asked if he had a decent pump...
    and then noticed he was in Planet Cycle kit, and he offered me use of
    the shop pump. Saved!

    I believe Ben was there to meet a Very Important Cyclist(TM) who had
    Seat Clamp Problems(TM) with his very nice Bianchi, but he saved my day
    anyway, and I promised to go back and buy something sometime!

  2. Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

  3. Paulie-AU said:

    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
    don't do it, Tam 🙂

  4. Paulie-AU said:


    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
    commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
    cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
    they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
    well, lasts a lot longer than the [censored] pump that I broke 😉 I have a
    new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work. (I
    know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
    wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts 😉

    Tam

  5. quote='Tamyka Bell'Paulie-AU said:


    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
    commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
    cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
    they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
    well, lasts a lot longer than the [censored] pump that I broke 😉 I have a
    new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work. (I
    know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
    wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts 😉

    Tam[/QUOTE]
    But it is so much eeeefort. I patch my tubes so recover some of the cost there 😄. Essentially, when on the side of the road I am allergic to pumping up a tire. The cost is annoying, wastage also. Bike pumps look ugly on the bike :eek: . So vain I know

  6. quote='Bleve'Paulie-AU said:

    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
    don't do it, Tam 🙂[/QUOTE]

    If you are riding a road bike with tires that need 120psi in the tires the CO2 bulbs are the way to go. I have yet to find a small had pump that can get any where near 100psi and service station pumps will only give you 90psi at best (the electronic ones only give you 70psi). Ad to that I hate spending time on the side of the road chewing into my riding time.

    The cartridges are recyclable so if you only get one puncture every once and a while they are quite economical

  7. jcjordan said:
    Bleve said:
    Paulie-AU said:

    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
    don't do it, Tam 🙂

    If you are riding a road bike with tires that need 120psi in the tires
    the CO2 bulbs are the way to go. I have yet to find a small had pump
    that can get any where near 100psi and service station pumps will only
    give you 90psi at best (the electronic ones only give you 70psi). Ad
    to that I hate spending time on the side of the road chewing into my
    riding time.

    I have a topeak pocket rocket DX, that I can easily get to 120psi (it's
    rated to 160).

    I have so few punctures that I lose very little time inflating tyres
    anyway. At home I have a proper trackpump.

  8. Paulie-AU said:


    Tamyka Bell said:
    Paulie-AU said:


    Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

    And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
    commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
    cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
    they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
    well, lasts a lot longer than the [censored] pump that I broke 😉 I have a
    new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work.
    (I
    know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
    wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts
    😉

    Tam


    But it is so much eeeefort. I patch my tubes so recover some of the
    cost there 😄. Essentially, when on the side of the road I am allergic
    to pumping up a tire. The cost is annoying, wastage also. Bike pumps
    look ugly on the bike :eek: . So vain I know

    You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
    for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
    tyres...

    Tam

  9. Tamyka Bell said:

    You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
    for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
    tyres...

    So running mis-matched tires is daggy? I run a Conti Gatorskin on the
    rear 'cause that's the most p*nc%ure proof tire I've used and a Schwalbe
    Stelvio Plus on the front 'cause that's nice and grippy for stopping.
    Reason for my dagginess :-D

    FWIW I use a Topeak RoadMorph, have for the last three years. 120 with
    ease, less than a minute of pumping. Big though, halfway between a
    jersey pump and a frame pump.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  10. Euan said:
    Tamyka Bell said:

    You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
    for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
    tyres...

    So running mis-matched tires is daggy? I run a Conti Gatorskin on the
    rear 'cause that's the most p*nc%ure proof tire I've used and a Schwalbe
    Stelvio Plus on the front 'cause that's nice and grippy for stopping.
    Reason for my dagginess :-D

    It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
    But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂

    Dave

  11. I have generally found any pump that can get up to 120psi either takes forever or is so large that it wont fit in my Jersey pocket

  12. I'm a bit worried about the p*ncture gods at the moment. On my usual commute home, there is an area where some wetland park is being created along the Swan River. The bike path in the area is currently partitioned off with high cyclone fence barriers. I've noticed recently that a collection of dead tubes has been started to be displayed on the cyclone fence at one point. Makes me wince every time I go through there. I've been thinking of sacrificing a small child there, but that might just make the problem go elsewhere.

    SteveA

  13. "But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂 "
    <snip>

    No - she means mismatched tyres. Lotte has a real thing about it. And
    don't even START about disc brakes... *laughs*

    Abby

  14. Kathy said:

    It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
    But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂

    Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
    match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
    washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
    inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
    hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)

    First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
    pump threads are worn.

  15. Absent Husband said:

    "But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂 "
    <snip>

    No - she means mismatched tyres. Lotte has a real thing about it. And
    don't even START about disc brakes... *laughs*

    Abby

    Well there probably are bad combos,as there certainly are in
    motorcycles.. But I would have thought it hard to get an actually
    dangerous combination on a pushy.. given on 700cs the width and profile
    is fairly limited.

    Still someone will prove me wrong I expect.

    I can tell you on a VF500 you want a seriously sticky front tire and a
    rear tire thats got a harder centre and sticky sides. ANd throw the
    front tire away early 🙁

    Dave

  16. Terry Collins said:
    Kathy said:

    It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
    But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂

    Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
    match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
    washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
    inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
    hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)

    First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
    pump threads are worn.

    My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
    have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
    seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

    Bugger

    Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

    Dave

  17. Kathy said:

    Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

    But that would actually enatil getting out for a ride *meow*
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  18. Kathy said:
    Terry Collins said:
    Kathy said:

    It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
    But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂

    Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
    match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
    washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
    inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
    hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)

    First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
    pump threads are worn.

    My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
    have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
    seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

    We regularly fix pista/serfas track pumps. They last forever and cost
    about $75.

  19. Euan said:
    Kathy said:

    Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

    But that would actually enatil getting out for a ride *meow*

    Ohhhhh I am SOOOOO going to forward that to him 🙂

    Dave

  20. Bleve said:
    Kathy said:
    Terry Collins said:

    Kathy wrote:

    >It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
    >But I 'think' she means missmatched valves 🙂

    Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
    match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
    washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
    inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
    hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)

    First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
    pump threads are worn.

    My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
    have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
    seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

    We regularly fix pista/serfas track pumps. They last forever and cost
    about $75.

    And u can get spares?

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.