Oh no!

Jimbo(san) wrote:

> I just read a cool article in BYO on how to make a nice mash tun and I
> think I am going to go from partial mash/extract to all grain for my
> first brew back.

I use a Phil's false bottom in a round Rubbermaid (i.e., Gott) cooler.
Very effective.

CC

troutboy wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
> >
> > Drosophila Pale Ale (5 gallons):

[...]
> Considering the name, isn't there a missing ingredient ???????
> Just wondering...

Depends on how much of a stickler you are for Reinheitsgebot...

CC

G.T. wrote:

> Wow, that's all the hops it takes? I've never brewed.

Think of how far an ounce of good red-hair bud goes. Not that I do that
sort of thing any more.

So, figure: it takes about 3/5 of an ounce of hops per gallon of beer.
According to the article, they lost 10,000 two hundred pound bales of
hops, which is 32 million ounces of hops, which comes to about 53
million gallons of beer.

(For the sticklers, this is ignoring differences between whole leaf and
pellet hops, yadda-yadda. Still a hell of a lot of beer.)

CC

What, no fruitflies? Tom

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Jimbo(san) wrote:
> >
> > I just read a cool article in BYO on how to make a nice mash tun and I
> > think I am going to go from partial mash/extract to all grain for my
> > first brew back.

> I use a Phil's false bottom in a round Rubbermaid (i.e., Gott) cooler.
> Very effective.
>
> CC

Yep that's about what they are showing... Phil False bottom, round
cooler and some weldless fittings.
Along with this I would love to finally keg... that is whole other
kettle of fish

Jimbo(san)

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Think of how far an ounce of good red-hair bud goes. Not that I do that
> sort of thing any more.
>
> So, figure: it takes about 3/5 of an ounce of hops per gallon of beer.
> According to the article, they lost 10,000 two hundred pound bales of
> hops, which is 32 million ounces of hops, which comes to about 53
> million gallons of beer.
>
> (For the sticklers, this is ignoring differences between whole leaf and
> pellet hops, yadda-yadda. Still a hell of a lot of beer.)
>
> CC

If life throws you smokey hops... make Rauchbier!!!

Corvus... I always appreciated hydro myself... Hydro hops that is!

Jimbo(san)

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> Wow, that's all the hops it takes? I've never brewed.

> Think of how far an ounce of good red-hair bud goes. Not that I do that
> sort of thing any more.
>
> So, figure: it takes about 3/5 of an ounce of hops per gallon of beer.
> According to the article, they lost 10,000 two hundred pound bales of
> hops, which is 32 million ounces of hops, which comes to about 53
> million gallons of beer.

OMFG, that's a disaster!

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:

>> So, figure: it takes about 3/5 of an ounce of hops per gallon of beer.
>> According to the article, they lost 10,000 two hundred pound bales of
>> hops, which is 32 million ounces of hops, which comes to about 53
>> million gallons of beer.
>>

> OMFG, that's a disaster!

I don't see it as a disaster, unless you're a
fan of macro brews.

"Besides being one of the largest growers in
the valley, Steiner is one of three large
merchants that buy from other growers in the
area. The others are John I. Haas Inc., the
grower-owned cooperative Yakima Chief and Hop
Union, which specializes in sales to craft
brewers."

Now if it had been Hop Union...

pete fagerlin wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
> > Corvus Corvax wrote:

> >> So, figure: it takes about 3/5 of an ounce of hops per gallon of beer.
> >> According to the article, they lost 10,000 two hundred pound bales of
> >> hops, which is 32 million ounces of hops, which comes to about 53
> >> million gallons of beer.
> >>

> > OMFG, that's a disaster!

> I don't see it as a disaster, unless you're a
> fan of macro brews.
>
> "Besides being one of the largest growers in
> the valley, Steiner is one of three large
> merchants that buy from other growers in the
> area. The others are John I. Haas Inc., the
> grower-owned cooperative Yakima Chief and Hop
> Union, which specializes in sales to craft
> brewers."
>
> Now if it had been Hop Union...

So, now a suspect has been named.

JD