Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

OK that was interesting... (strange tyre/tire problem)

Started by reelbf · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,268 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 July 2006
Last activity
14 July 2006
Original author
reelbf
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,268
Views / 30 days
13

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just had an interesting experience: I wen't into the lbs to get some new tyres and had the bike shop put them on for me he asked me what pressure so I said 100psi. He then delt with another customer and a minute later the tyre poped of the rim in my hands and left me deaf in one ear for a few minutes.

    The strange thing is I normal use this pressure in my tyres and I have never had a tyre pop off like this except when I left one in the sun. I had him pump them up to 80psi and they are as solid as what I'm used to so it makes me wonder wether my gauge is wrong or this tyre cant take that much pressure even though its rated to 100psi.

    So this question has probally been asked before but what presure do you guys use for a 700x23c tyre? Is 100psi to much for my new Schwalbe Blizzard Sport tyres?

    What do you guys think?

    Ben Jones

  2. The amount of air required will depend on the tire manufuacturere. I put 120psi in my Conti GP4000.

    The tube must have been pinched a little when it was installed therefore causing it to blow up like that. It has happened to me in the past. Scared the [censored] out of me.

  3. I've had that happen when there was a small piece of glass in the tire. Other causes are pinches, slipped rim tape, improper bead seating, or a defective tube. Since the rated max tire pressure is typically less than half of the blow off pressure, and the Schwalbe Blizzard is rated to 110, there shouldn't be any danger in running it at 100.

  4. reelbf said:

    I just had an interesting experience: I wen't into the lbs to get some new tyres and had the bike shop put them on for me he asked me what pressure so I said 100psi. He then delt with another customer and a minute later the tyre poped of the rim in my hands and left me deaf in one ear for a few minutes.

    The strange thing is I normal use this pressure in my tyres and I have never had a tyre pop off like this except when I left one in the sun. I had him pump them up to 80psi and they are as solid as what I'm used to so it makes me wonder wether my gauge is wrong or this tyre cant take that much pressure even though its rated to 100psi.

    So this question has probally been asked before but what presure do you guys use for a 700x23c tyre? Is 100psi to much for my new Schwalbe Blizzard Sport tyres?

    What do you guys think?

    Ben Jones

    Oh dear.....its when a bit of the tube is caught between tyre and rim...they should have re-done it for you for free

  5. topcat said:

    Oh dear.....its when a bit of the tube is caught between tyre and rim...they should have re-done it for you for free


    What your saying makes sense I hasnt happend to me because I take my time and make sure its seated properlly. At the time it was fairly busy in the shop so he probablly rushed it. I would have changed it myself but I didnt have a good pump so I decided to be lazy 🙂 I thought this guy should be able to change a tyre easy enough.

    I dont actualy know what I was charged for it but I payed £37 pounds for 2 tyres, 2 tubes, a pair of gloves and changing the tyres. I dont think it was that expensive really I just thought and rightly so that this shouldnt happen just because of pumping the tyres to 100psi.

    Thanks for the responses very glad I asked because alot of this stuff hadnt occured to me. OK next question is I need to find a decent pump so I can get a good presure into the tyres on the road. Any ideas?

  6. I had this happen twice before I realized that the tire I had just bought was of inferior quality. I believe the wire wasn't holding in the rim. I use 110 psi on 23's.

  7. reelbf said:

    What your saying makes sense I hasnt happend to me because I take my time and make sure its seated properlly. At the time it was fairly busy in the shop so he probablly rushed it. I would have changed it myself but I didnt have a good pump so I decided to be lazy 🙂 I thought this guy should be able to change a tyre easy enough.

    I dont actualy know what I was charged for it but I payed £37 pounds for 2 tyres, 2 tubes, a pair of gloves and changing the tyres. I dont think it was that expensive really I just thought and rightly so that this shouldnt happen just because of pumping the tyres to 100psi.

    Thanks for the responses very glad I asked because alot of this stuff hadnt occured to me. OK next question is I need to find a decent pump so I can get a good presure into the tyres on the road. Any ideas?


    Any standard presta floor pump will be fine. I went in the middle of the road with a Planet Bike pump. It's not the "best" one they had at the LBS, but I'm only pumping up tires 2-3 times a week not 20 times a week. If you are filling tires often I'd probably say get a pretty good pump, but I'd assume you're just like me.

  8. rudycyclist said:

    Any standard presta floor pump will be fine. I went in the middle of the road with a Planet Bike pump. It's not the "best" one they had at the LBS, but I'm only pumping up tires 2-3 times a week not 20 times a week. If you are filling tires often I'd probably say get a pretty good pump, but I'd assume you're just like me.


    Well I have a floor pump and I have a hand pump so really I'm OK if I just want to get home but putting say 80psi into a tyre with the hand pump I have right now is too much hard work if its possible. The further I go from home the more I want a portable pump which will get me a good pressure into the tyres. Is that possible?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.