General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ok, THIS is why I get frustrated

Started by Luna · · Last activity · 27 posts · 778 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 June 2005
Last activity
19 June 2005
Original author
Luna
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
778
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

  2. Luna said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

    Calories do not work in the real world.

    One cannot say that a certain amount of activity will lead to "burning"
    a certain number of calories which will lead to losing a certain number
    of pounds.

    It simply does not work. The human body has no biological mechanism in
    place to trigger fat storage or fat usage based solely on amount of
    physical labor done or number of calories consumed or expended. If it
    was that simple, anyone putting in even a modicum of effort would
    easily lose all the weight they wanted.

    Forget the calories. It is hormones, specifically the insulin-glucagon
    balance. You need to eat (low carb foods) to continue losing weight.
    You eat too much carbs you will gain weight. You don't eat anything you
    will not lose any weight. You have to be within the "zone" (Sears, The
    Zone Diet) where you are eating but not eating too many carbs. Either
    side of the zone and you will not lose weight.

    TC

  3. [email hidden] wrote:
    :: Luna wrote:
    ::: This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    ::: gymnastics camp at the Y.
    :::
    ::: First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before
    ::: work. Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and
    ::: breaking down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the
    ::: kids, going up and down the stairs several times a day, and playing
    ::: various games like dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing
    ::: gymnastics. We spot them while they are doing gymnastics, which
    ::: for the little ones includes actually lifting them over the vault
    ::: because they can't jump high enough. I know I'm getting a lot more
    ::: exercise than usual because I come home exhausted, sore, and
    ::: sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.
    :::
    ::: Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    ::: that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home
    ::: isn't any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast,
    ::: broccoli, spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff
    ::: like that) plus there's no more late night snacking because I go to
    ::: bed earlier now.
    :::
    ::: So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much
    ::: more, I'd have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada.
    ::: Zip. I'm at the point where it's taking all I have to push myself
    ::: physically as hard as I am, I'm actually eating much less than I
    ::: should be, yet no movement on the scale. What the hell else can I
    ::: do?
    ::
    :: Calories do not work in the real world.
    ::

    Nonsense.

    :: One cannot say that a certain amount of activity will lead to
    :: "burning" a certain number of calories which will lead to losing a
    :: certain number of pounds.
    ::

    Perhaps not, but activity leads to burning calories and that can lead to
    losing pounds...

    :: It simply does not work.

    It does if you do it long enough...

    :: The human body has no biological mechanism
    :: in place to trigger fat storage or fat usage based solely on amount
    :: of physical labor done or number of calories consumed or expended.

    Nonsense...

    :: If it was that simple, anyone putting in even a modicum of effort
    :: would easily lose all the weight they wanted.

    Nonsense...

    ::
    :: Forget the calories. It is hormones, specifically the
    :: insulin-glucagon balance. You need to eat (low carb foods) to
    :: continue losing weight. You eat too much carbs you will gain weight.
    :: You don't eat anything you will not lose any weight. You have to be
    :: within the "zone" (Sears, The Zone Diet) where you are eating but
    :: not eating too many carbs. Either side of the zone and you will not
    :: lose weight.

    Nonsense.

  4. Quoted message said:

    The human body has no biological mechanism in place to trigger fat
    storage or fat usage based solely on amount of physical labor done
    or number of calories consumed or expended.

    Of course it does. Muscles, for example, release hormones when
    they've been stressed. They also become more insulin sensitive. Your
    body can also reduce metabolism if there's a large enough difference
    between calories eaten and calories expended. Heck, digestion itself
    triggers hormone release, including insulin production.

    It just doesn't always work *properly*, that's all.

    Quoted message said:

    If it was that simple, anyone putting in even a modicum of effort
    would easily lose all the weight they wanted.

    For people who don't need LC, it *is* that simple.

  5. "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

    1st make time for breakfast - you'll have more energy.

    2nd - you've been around long enough to know the muscle weighs more than
    fat. Do you think maybe all that excercise is causing you to lose weight and
    gain muscle at the same time? Happened to me :o)

  6. Luna said:

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

    Yes, it's frustrating. My impression is that there is a delayed impact
    between what I take in, and the effect on my weight - but I'm not clear on
    what that delay *is*. The exception to that is carbs - if my intake goes
    above about 40g, I'll put on weight overnight - I assume this is water
    being bound as my liver fills with glycogen - and it takes generally three
    days to go away. I weigh and track daily, but the correlation is fuzzy
    enough, and my interest is low enough, that I haven't tried to pin it
    down. Now I just make a "good day/bad day" mental note, and recognize
    that it'll have an impact down the road.

    KeS

  7. Are you sure?

    --
    Now [censored]. You cannot possibly be this stupid and remember to
    breathe. You must be trolling. -- Carmen

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You don't eat anything you
    will not lose any weight.

  8. Butch up, and have a little patience.

    --

    Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

    --
    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

  9. I do have a little patience. I waited a whole week to weigh myself! lol

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Butch up, and have a little patience.

    --

    Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

    --
    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Luna said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

    Wait...
    You've only been doing that for 7 days.
    Give it a couple of weeks and you will drop rather _suddenly_!

    I'd bet on it. ;-)

    I read a book by Arnold S. one time (ok, I can never really remember how
    to spell his last name) and he said that the reason for that was that
    for every gram of fat you burn, the metabolic process causes 2 grams of
    water retention so you can actually GAIN weight while burning fat! And
    that once your body let go of the water, you'd see a sudden weight drop.

    So relax!

    I lost 2 lbs. in 2 hours today at the gym. I had the day off so spent
    more time and did more stuff.

    I know it's all water and I had to make it back up by drinking 2 pints
    of water. I let myself get dehydrated enough that I ended up with mild
    Tachycardia. I'm going to have to take a water bottle and keep up with
    that. My heart rate 30 minutes after leaving the gym was 128.

    Not safe. :-P I'd forgotten that that could happen! :-P

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  11. nanner said:


    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    1st make time for breakfast - you'll have more energy.

    2nd - you've been around long enough to know the muscle weighs more than
    fat. Do you think maybe all that excercise is causing you to lose weight and
    gain muscle at the same time? Happened to me :o)


    3rd - when is your period? That can lead to significant water retention,
    masking weight loss.

    4th - If you're really exercising more than you're accustomed to, your
    muscles can be holding more water. This will work itself out when your
    body adjusts to your workload, but people *frequently* find that they
    weigh more after a hard workout (e.g. moving) even if they haven't eaten
    all that much.

    5th. Is there a possiblity you're eating more than you think? Eating
    snacks w/ the kids? Having some nuts to keep your energy up? I did this
    last summer when I was putting in some significant hours in the pool. You
    may want to do a round of fitday for a week (putting in *everything*) to
    make sure you aren't getting calorie creep.

    Also, really, eat breakfast. I find I lose better when I do. I know you're
    pressed for time, but a protein bar can be eaten on your way to work. If
    you mix a scoop of protein powder into a cup of yogurt the night before,
    that takes maybe 5 minutes to eat and you'll be set for the morning.

    Martha

    --
    Sig pending

  12. Plain and simple, I think you aren't eating enough. That is why you are so
    exhausted. Your body is not getting what it needs to replenish what you are
    burning, plus, as many of us have learned, if you eat too little, your body
    goes into "survival mode" and your metabolism slows down. Think about
    it...slow metabolism = not much energy = not much weight loss.

    If I connect the dots with the information you gave us, I'd say you're just
    plain and simple eating too little. I think ALL your current symptoms would
    decrease (include not losing weight) if you'd simply eat breakfast, lunch,
    and dinner, with maybe a snack or two thrown in there. I know that's not
    the easy answer to hear because of your time situation, but I'd bet it's the
    truth.

    I find that if I pre-make some low carb beef jerky, that is an AWESOME snack
    that is incredibly portable, and sometimes makes an adequate substitute for
    an entire low carb meal in a pinch.

    Above all, don't get frustrated. There will be weeks when the scale says
    you're not losing pounds OR inches, and that's okay. There were plenty of
    weeks you didn't gain weight, and there WILL be plenty of weeks when you
    won't lose weight. That doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or that
    something is going wrong. It just means right now your body is doing
    something other than creating less of a gravitational pull on a measuring
    device. Nothing to worry about.

    Oh Yeah...CARNIVORES RULE!
    Brian
    216/???/160

    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

  13. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Martha Gallagher said:
    nanner said:


    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    gymnastics camp at the Y.

    First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before work.
    Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and breaking
    down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going up
    and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games like
    dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and sore.

    Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home isn't
    any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.

    1st make time for breakfast - you'll have more energy.

    My schedule is 12- 6 starting next week, so I'll be eating breakfast
    again. I'd just had a vague hope that a week of only one meal a day
    would jump start some loss.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    2nd - you've been around long enough to know the muscle weighs more than
    fat. Do you think maybe all that excercise is causing you to lose weight
    and
    gain muscle at the same time? Happened to me :o)


    3rd - when is your period? That can lead to significant water retention,
    masking weight loss.

    I'm on Depo, so that's not an issue.

    Quoted message said:


    4th - If you're really exercising more than you're accustomed to, your
    muscles can be holding more water. This will work itself out when your
    body adjusts to your workload, but people *frequently* find that they
    weigh more after a hard workout (e.g. moving) even if they haven't eaten
    all that much.

    Huh. Hmm. I never heard of that. I'd think after a hard workout you'd
    weigh less from having sweat off a bunch of water.

    Quoted message said:


    5th. Is there a possiblity you're eating more than you think? Eating
    snacks w/ the kids? Having some nuts to keep your energy up? I did this
    last summer when I was putting in some significant hours in the pool. You
    may want to do a round of fitday for a week (putting in *everything*) to
    make sure you aren't getting calorie creep.

    Nah, I wasn't eating anything while at camp. Just drinking lots of
    water. It's really hard for me to be hungry when I first wake up,
    especially since I wasn't used to getting up that early, and then at
    camp I had to break down equipment during lunchtime. I mean, yes, there
    is time to eat something quickly, but I didn't plan well and didn't have
    any low-carb portable food that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, really, eat breakfast. I find I lose better when I do. I know you're
    pressed for time, but a protein bar can be eaten on your way to work. If
    you mix a scoop of protein powder into a cup of yogurt the night before,
    that takes maybe 5 minutes to eat and you'll be set for the morning.

    Martha

    Well, it won't be a problem with my new schedule next week. I'm
    thinking I'll eat a meal before I leave, and bring something like a hard
    boiled egg or a cheese stick to work for a snack.

  14. Maybe you forgot to take a [censored], kind of like Larry.

    --

    Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

    --
    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Martha Gallagher said:
    nanner said:


    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    > gymnastics camp at the Y.
    >
    > First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before
    > work.
    > Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and
    > breaking
    > down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going
    > up
    > and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games
    > like
    > dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    > while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    > actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    > enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    > come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and
    > sore.
    >
    > Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    > that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home
    > isn't
    > any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    > spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    > there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.
    >

    1st make time for breakfast - you'll have more energy.

    My schedule is 12- 6 starting next week, so I'll be eating breakfast
    again. I'd just had a vague hope that a week of only one meal a day
    would jump start some loss.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    2nd - you've been around long enough to know the muscle weighs more
    than
    fat. Do you think maybe all that excercise is causing you to lose
    weight
    and
    gain muscle at the same time? Happened to me :o)


    3rd - when is your period? That can lead to significant water retention,
    masking weight loss.

    I'm on Depo, so that's not an issue.

    Quoted message said:


    4th - If you're really exercising more than you're accustomed to, your
    muscles can be holding more water. This will work itself out when your
    body adjusts to your workload, but people *frequently* find that they
    weigh more after a hard workout (e.g. moving) even if they haven't eaten
    all that much.

    Huh. Hmm. I never heard of that. I'd think after a hard workout you'd
    weigh less from having sweat off a bunch of water.

    Quoted message said:


    5th. Is there a possiblity you're eating more than you think? Eating
    snacks w/ the kids? Having some nuts to keep your energy up? I did this
    last summer when I was putting in some significant hours in the pool. You
    may want to do a round of fitday for a week (putting in *everything*) to
    make sure you aren't getting calorie creep.

    Nah, I wasn't eating anything while at camp. Just drinking lots of
    water. It's really hard for me to be hungry when I first wake up,
    especially since I wasn't used to getting up that early, and then at
    camp I had to break down equipment during lunchtime. I mean, yes, there
    is time to eat something quickly, but I didn't plan well and didn't have
    any low-carb portable food that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, really, eat breakfast. I find I lose better when I do. I know
    you're
    pressed for time, but a protein bar can be eaten on your way to work. If
    you mix a scoop of protein powder into a cup of yogurt the night before,
    that takes maybe 5 minutes to eat and you'll be set for the morning.

    Martha

    Well, it won't be a problem with my new schedule next week. I'm
    thinking I'll eat a meal before I leave, and bring something like a hard
    boiled egg or a cheese stick to work for a snack.

  15. Your poor body is probably desperately holding on to every pound it has
    in fear you're starving in a concentration camp or lost in he desert or
    something. You cant eat that LITTLE food when you're using that much
    energy!

    PLEASE at least take a couple of hard boileg eggs in your pocket to eat
    earlier in the day. Couldnt you....cook an extra piece of chicken or
    whatever you make for dinner to take with you and eat when you have a
    spare moment?

    Suddenly, your body is being asked to put out LOTS more energy, while
    you're giving it much less fuel.

    I think your body has gone into 'starvation mode".

    You just gotta get something in your stomach in the morning---I can eat
    a HB egg in 12 seconds, LOL... I bet you could, too!

    Start LC~5-16-05
    202-?-165
    (i'm scale phobic)


  16. Quoted message said:

    "Well, it won't be a problem with my new
    schedule next week. I'm thinking I'll eat a
    meal before I leave, and bring something
    like a hard boiled egg or a cheese stick >to work for a snack. "

    YES. I bet you'll drop several pounds "over night".

    LassChance

    Start LC~5-16-05
    202-?-165
    (i'm scale phobic)

  17. Why don't you get some protein shakes that you can have for breakfast and/or
    lunch. Forget about the weight, you can't be feeling good when you are
    running on empty.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Luna <[email hidden]> stated
    | This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    | gymnastics camp at the Y.
    |
    | First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before
    | work. Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and
    | breaking down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the
    | kids, going up and down the stairs several times a day, and playing
    | various games like dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing
    | gymnastics. We spot them while they are doing gymnastics, which for
    | the little ones includes actually lifting them over the vault because
    | they can't jump high enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise
    | than usual because I come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I
    | wake up exhausted and sore.
    |
    | Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    | that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home
    | isn't any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    | spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    | there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.
    |
    | So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more,
    | I'd have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm
    | at the point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically
    | as hard as I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet
    | no movement on the scale. What the hell else can I do?

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Luna said:

    So you'd think with eating so much less and exercising so much more, I'd
    have lost at least a pound this week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I'm at the
    point where it's taking all I have to push myself physically as hard as
    I am, I'm actually eating much less than I should be, yet no movement on
    the scale. What the hell else can I do?

    Are you weighing daily and averaging your readings, or just reading once
    a week? If the latter, I would be suspicious of undersampling and
    getting bogus readings.

    --
    ---
    Chris Smolinski
    Black Cat Systems
    http://www.blackcatsystems.com

  19. Nah. Everything's fine there.

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Maybe you forgot to take a [censored], kind of like Larry.

    --

    Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

    --
    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Martha Gallagher said:

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, nanner wrote:

    >
    > "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > This week was my first full week as a summer camp counsellor for
    > > gymnastics camp at the Y.
    > >
    > > First off, I'm still doing my weight routine in the morning before
    > > work.
    > > Then, work itself is quite physical, including setting up and
    > > breaking
    > > down the equipment, doing warmups and stretches with the kids, going
    > > up
    > > and down the stairs several times a day, and playing various games
    > > like
    > > dodgeball, tag, etc. when they aren't doing gymnastics. We spot them
    > > while they are doing gymnastics, which for the little ones includes
    > > actually lifting them over the vault because they can't jump high
    > > enough. I know I'm getting a lot more exercise than usual because I
    > > come home exhausted, sore, and sweaty, and I wake up exhausted and
    > > sore.
    > >
    > > Add to that the fact that I'm not eating breakfast or lunch (I know
    > > that's bad, I just don't have time) and my dinner when I get home
    > > isn't
    > > any bigger than usual, (small steak or chicken breast, broccoli,
    > > spinach, or asparagus and salad, just my normal stuff like that) plus
    > > there's no more late night snacking because I go to bed earlier now.
    > >
    >
    > 1st make time for breakfast - you'll have more energy.

    My schedule is 12- 6 starting next week, so I'll be eating breakfast
    again. I'd just had a vague hope that a week of only one meal a day
    would jump start some loss.

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > 2nd - you've been around long enough to know the muscle weighs more
    > than
    > fat. Do you think maybe all that excercise is causing you to lose
    > weight
    > and
    > gain muscle at the same time? Happened to me :o)
    >
    3rd - when is your period? That can lead to significant water retention,
    masking weight loss.

    I'm on Depo, so that's not an issue.

    Quoted message said:


    4th - If you're really exercising more than you're accustomed to, your
    muscles can be holding more water. This will work itself out when your
    body adjusts to your workload, but people *frequently* find that they
    weigh more after a hard workout (e.g. moving) even if they haven't eaten
    all that much.

    Huh. Hmm. I never heard of that. I'd think after a hard workout you'd
    weigh less from having sweat off a bunch of water.

    Quoted message said:


    5th. Is there a possiblity you're eating more than you think? Eating
    snacks w/ the kids? Having some nuts to keep your energy up? I did this
    last summer when I was putting in some significant hours in the pool. You
    may want to do a round of fitday for a week (putting in *everything*) to
    make sure you aren't getting calorie creep.

    Nah, I wasn't eating anything while at camp. Just drinking lots of
    water. It's really hard for me to be hungry when I first wake up,
    especially since I wasn't used to getting up that early, and then at
    camp I had to break down equipment during lunchtime. I mean, yes, there
    is time to eat something quickly, but I didn't plan well and didn't have
    any low-carb portable food that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, really, eat breakfast. I find I lose better when I do. I know
    you're
    pressed for time, but a protein bar can be eaten on your way to work. If
    you mix a scoop of protein powder into a cup of yogurt the night before,
    that takes maybe 5 minutes to eat and you'll be set for the morning.

    Martha

    Well, it won't be a problem with my new schedule next week. I'm
    thinking I'll eat a meal before I leave, and bring something like a hard
    boiled egg or a cheese stick to work for a snack.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Lass Chance) said:

    Your poor body is probably desperately holding on to every pound it has
    in fear you're starving in a concentration camp or lost in he desert or
    something. You cant eat that LITTLE food when you're using that much
    energy!

    PLEASE at least take a couple of hard boileg eggs in your pocket to eat
    earlier in the day. Couldnt you....cook an extra piece of chicken or
    whatever you make for dinner to take with you and eat when you have a
    spare moment?

    Suddenly, your body is being asked to put out LOTS more energy, while
    you're giving it much less fuel.

    I think your body has gone into 'starvation mode".

    You just gotta get something in your stomach in the morning---I can eat
    a HB egg in 12 seconds, LOL... I bet you could, too!

    Well, since it was only for this week I wasn't worried about not eating.
    I don't believe in starvation mode, honestly. There are lots of people
    in this world who are _really_ starving, and they're not fat.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.