OK to fit a 1/8th chain on a Speedhub-500?

Duncan Smith

Guest
Before heading home and putting on the Speedhub for the first time -
just checking that there shouldn't be an issue with using a 1/8th
chainring and chain with it?. Don't reckon there should be - but just
double checking!

Thanks,

Duncan

"Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Before heading home and putting on the Speedhub for the
> first time - just checking that there shouldn't be an issue with
> using a 1/8th chainring and chain with it?

No problem.

James Thomson

On Mar 5, 5:21 pm, "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Before heading home and putting on the Speedhub for the
> > first time - just checking that there shouldn't be an issue with
> > using a 1/8th chainring and chain with it?

> No problem.

I had enormous problems with a 1/8 chain - it's wider than the
sprocket on the Speedhub and eventually twisted itself to the
point that it came off every few revolutions.

Use an 8-speed chain - it's what Rohlhoff say to use

Mike

<[email protected]> a écrit:

> I had enormous problems with a 1/8 chain - it's wider
> than the sprocket on the Speedhub and eventually twisted
> itself to the point that it came off every few revolutions.

> Use an 8-speed chain - it's what Rohlhoff say to use

There's no reason not to use a 1/8" chain. 1/8" chain with 3/32"
sprockets is quite a common fixed wheel combination, and fixed (because of
the reversing loads) is a more demanding application than a Rohloff.

It sounds to me as though you damaged your chain or sprocket with a
derailment, perhaps because of poor chainline or a slack chain.

I have about 8000 miles on my Rohloff with 1/8" Wipperman chain without
a problem. I also have about 2500 miles on my Rohloff with 3/32" chain, also
without a problem.

James Thomson

In article <38b6e268-fd0f-400b-bddd-d87fb8a10c22
@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] says...
> On Mar 5, 5:21 pm, "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> a écrit:
> >
> > > Before heading home and putting on the Speedhub for the
> > > first time - just checking that there shouldn't be an issue with
> > > using a 1/8th chainring and chain with it?

> > No problem.
> >

> I had enormous problems with a 1/8 chain - it's wider than the
> sprocket on the Speedhub and eventually twisted itself to the
> point that it came off every few revolutions.

Sound like you had a problem with chain line and/or tension. I doubt
the width of the chain had much to do with it, although a derailleur
chain might be more forgiving of misalignment because of its flexibility
and contoured plates.