Road Cycling · Public discussion

Okay, *NOW* I'll do the "How Many Miles" Thread....

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 29 posts · 675 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 January 2007
Last activity
8 January 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
675
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).

    Happy New Year, Everybody.
    Pureheart

  2. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006


    It was 5,000 kilometers for me. As I get older, I find myself riding
    more consistently, practically every day I'm home, but taking fewer
    long (over 50 mile) rides.

    --
    Paul Turner

  3. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    4553 on the MadOne in 11 months. A sad little 560 on the Klein Q-carbon
    Team (size 55 -- make me an offer! 🙂 ). So just about 5100 miles, plus
    maybe another (paltry) 300 or so mtb miles and 100 "dead cyclometer pickup"
    miles.

    Call it 5500. (Probably well more than both my cars combined; haven't
    checked yet.)

    Slacker Bill

  4. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    2025 miles on my primary commuter this year.

    A total of 4188 combined over my four bikes.

    This total is second only to a year which included a
    cross country ride nearly 10 years ago. I'm rather
    pleased as most of the distance was commuting.

    I largely failed in my attempt to do more "joy miles"
    this year; miles NOT involving commuting. Did get a
    few hundred in touring NW Nebraska and a bit of Iowa
    along with a couple organized and personal century
    rides.

    Will try again in the new year to do more joy miles,
    not that commuter miles on a bike aren't joyful too.

    Happy New Year rbm!

    SMH

  5. Quoted message said:


    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).


    If you are a fan of bad roads, here's some that probably make Santa Cruz
    look good.
    http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html
    (Jobst posted this link on another rec.bicycles newsgroup.)

    My mileage was down in 2006: just 3437 miles (5500 km).
    Causes: (1) no bike tour in 2006, (2) shower remodeling at work closed them
    for months, and I got out of the commute habit. Also gained weight in
    2006, for some reason 😉

    --
    Mike Kruger
    "We have a lot of kids who don't know what works means. They think work
    is a four-letter word." --Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY)

  6. [email hidden] wrote in news:1167622451.380689.41150
    @k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).

    Happy New Year, Everybody.
    Pureheart

    3650 miles had to ride 26 miles yesterday to get that....
    mike

  7. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).

    Happy New Year, Everybody.
    Pureheart


    I managed 6016 miles in 2006. The year started slowly, having started a
    new job in December 2005. Once I had figured out where to park the car
    in order to do some cycling to & from work the mileage increased. During
    the summer months I was regularly doing 35 miles a day on my commute to
    work. Unfortunately I live too far from work to commute all the way. It
    is 33 miles from home to work & I did do the whole round trip on three
    occasions.

    Mike

  8. Stephen Harding said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.

    My odometer(s) (it's been a bad year for me and cyclocomputers) added up
    to 3480 miles. That is mostly recreational riding; my commute isn't
    (mostly) in that total since it's on other bikes, but that would be 15
    miles/week, maybe going in to the office 40 weeks/year, so another 500-600
    miles of commuting.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
    _`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
    (_)/ (_) |

  9. Mike Kruger said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    If you are a fan of bad roads, here's some that probably make Santa Cruz
    look good.
    http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html

    I drove the Georgian Military highway back in 1977, and it's still
    easily the most harrowing drive I've ever done. I probably have a few
    pictures somewhere, but really didn't have a great deal of time or
    opportunity as it was white-knuckle time through most of the trip.

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    I managed a mere 1911 miles this year. No tours or organized rides, and no
    commute since I work from home, so this was mostly pleasure riding and short
    errand-running.

    My trusty CatEye cyclometer died yesterday morning midway through my ride to my
    father-in-law's house, after nearly 10 years of service. Good thing I got that
    Garmin eTrex for Christmas to replace it :-)

    --

    __o Kristian Zoerhoff
    _'\(,_ [email hidden]
    (_)/ (_)

  11. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).

    Happy New Year, Everybody.
    Pureheart


    Between May and December I made 1443 miles. Mostly rides in the
    country. A surgery in November kept me off the bike for 6 weeks.

    I replaced my 18-year old Cateye in June after I finally managed to
    break it.

  12. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    5584 for the year. It was rainy all day NY Eve to prevent me from
    tipping it over. Longest rides: 80.5, 66 and 52 miles. Avg/Day: 15;
    avg Apr-Oct: 18.9. Auto gas tank fillups: 3-5 times that I can
    recall.

    MTB bike and >50 yr age grp, so I am quite happy

    Quoted message said:


    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).


    ....and Flint Michigan

  13. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.
    I put on
    2,337 Miles in 2006

    All riding to and fro to work from Aptos, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. About
    1/2 what I used to do going to Watsonville (and not nearly as enjoyable
    a route)
    but what the heck. I still love bicycles.

    Off topic: I'll bet anyone a zillion nothings that Santa Cruz County
    has the absolute
    worst roads in the entire country. Whew! ('Cept maybe Buffao, New
    York).

    Happy New Year, Everybody.
    Pureheart

    I rode a little over 463 hours of saddle time for the 2006 year.

  14. 3188 bike miles, virtually all commuting. 198 bike-to-work days, all
    weather, year round. Temps ranged from -10F to 102F. 5th place by
    days and miles in ride to work list at work.
    <http://tomato.fnal.gov/bicycle/riders.php?data=2006&sort=miles> (click
    the gallery and you
    can see our superfantastic Fox River Trail commuting pix)

    173 car-free days

    only 14 hours on the kayak :-(
    only 45 miles on my unicycles! :-( :-(

    Not as much as i'd hoped to get in in any category, and i'm the bigger
    man for it. :-)

    ..max
    St. Charles, Il.

  15. 10334 miles

    I probably won't get as many miles in 2007. I had some free time to
    ride last year.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

  16. My mileage for the year was 18,973, for a total of 249,322 since I
    started keeping daily records in 1993. As usual, the heart and soul of
    my mileage was the commute to work - a basic ride of 21 miles each way;
    frequently I take longer routes. Aside from that, my main trip was
    2218 miles, from Key West to Milwaukee on April 21 - May 6. Further
    details follow:

    Mileage by state:
    FL 755
    IL 643
    GA 396
    CA 292
    MS 278
    AL 223
    AR 169
    MI 104
    MO 89
    MN 76
    MA 48
    NY 42
    CT 18

    WI - balance

    Coldest riding - Minus 15 F on Feb. 18

    Hottest Riding - 98 F on July 15

    Best mileage - 189 on May 1

    Least Mileage - 1 on Oct. 1 - no zero days

    Got wet - 24 times that I recorded

    Flat tires - 11

    Fell once

  17. 6,000 miles for me.

  18. Quoted message said:

    Well, time to reset the odometers for next year.

    I ended up with 5555 miles for the year (unintentionally, I might add;
    although when the weather cleared up Sunday afternoon, after I had
    totaled everything up, I bypassed a possible ride to maintain that total!).

    SAG'ed out of a ride because of the heat in May, managed my first
    century in September. Maybe I should add up commuting miles; I'd guess
    2500 or so.

    Pat

  19. Wow....Impressive stats. I wish I could commute to work....21 miles
    each way is a "just right" amount, too.

    On 1 Jan 2007 17:53:29 -0800, "Ron Wallenfang" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    My mileage for the year was 18,973, for a total of 249,322 since I
    started keeping daily records in 1993. As usual, the heart and soul of
    my mileage was the commute to work - a basic ride of 21 miles each way;
    frequently I take longer routes. Aside from that, my main trip was
    2218 miles, from Key West to Milwaukee on April 21 - May 6. Further
    details follow:

    Mileage by state:
    FL 755
    IL 643
    GA 396
    CA 292
    MS 278
    AL 223
    AR 169
    MI 104
    MO 89
    MN 76
    MA 48
    NY 42
    CT 18

    WI - balance

    Coldest riding - Minus 15 F on Feb. 18

    Hottest Riding - 98 F on July 15

    Best mileage - 189 on May 1

    Least Mileage - 1 on Oct. 1 - no zero days

    Got wet - 24 times that I recorded

    Flat tires - 11

    Fell once

  20. 1700 miles all recreational.
    My longest was 100 miles (I rode around the block the last 5.5 miles to
    get it up to 100!)
    This was my first full year of real bicycling since I was a kid.

    Ted.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.