Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Okay...So What's A Good Tail Light?

Started by NYC XYZ · · Last activity · 75 posts · 1,318 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 January 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
NYC XYZ
Posts
75
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,318
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 75
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

  2. That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

  3. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    Cheap blinkie.

    Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

  4. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    Cheap blinkie.

    Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

  5. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Blinkie and an LED reflective vest.

  6. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Blinkie and an LED reflective vest.

  7. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:9kACf.2238$Jg.1167
    @tornado.socal.rr.com:

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    Cheap blinkie.

    Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

    I like the Cateye LD500-RC.

    It has two modes; blinking and solid.
    in the blinking mode it blinks in triple bink sets (like the morse code
    "S" over and over) and runs just about forever (100 hours) on two AAA
    batteries.

    It comes with a quick release seat post mount and a belt clip.

    It also meets the C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulations
    as a reflector.

    See:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1511

    Rich

  8. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:9kACf.2238$Jg.1167
    @tornado.socal.rr.com:

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    Cheap blinkie.

    Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

    I like the Cateye LD500-RC.

    It has two modes; blinking and solid.
    in the blinking mode it blinks in triple bink sets (like the morse code
    "S" over and over) and runs just about forever (100 hours) on two AAA
    batteries.

    It comes with a quick release seat post mount and a belt clip.

    It also meets the C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulations
    as a reflector.

    See:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1511

    Rich

  9. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down.

    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    Quoted message said:

    But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Quoted message said:

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    W

  10. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down.

    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    Quoted message said:

    But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Quoted message said:

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    W

  11. The Wogster said:

    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

    Quoted message said:

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Now there's an idea! Hmm....

    Quoted message said:

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
    -- to be seen.

    I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
    psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

    Quoted message said:

    W

    And these?

    www.hokeyspokes.com

  12. The Wogster said:

    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

    Quoted message said:

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Now there's an idea! Hmm....

    Quoted message said:

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
    -- to be seen.

    I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
    psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

    Quoted message said:

    W

    And these?

    www.hokeyspokes.com

  13. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Don't get the el-cheapo blinkies. Three reasons. They are not
    well-constructed, not bright, and don't have a good angle of view.

    "http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=101&subcategory=1068&brand=&sku=12860&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename="

    Yes, that's a great headlight, but ouch, $500?!

  14. NYC XYZ said:

    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Don't get the el-cheapo blinkies. Three reasons. They are not
    well-constructed, not bright, and don't have a good angle of view.

    "http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=101&subcategory=1068&brand=&sku=12860&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename="

    Yes, that's a great headlight, but ouch, $500?!

  15. NYC XYZ said:
    The Wogster said:


    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

    Hmmm, US$529 add on $40 for customs, convert into beaver bucks, that's
    $654 add on the Gouging and Screwing Tax that's $700 for a light, nearly
    3 times what I spent on the bike (year end distributors clearance, I
    gotta *really* good deal). I think that's a little pricey....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Now there's an idea! Hmm....

    When I put lights on mine, I'll get a pair of $7 rear lights, and run
    them that way, since I have an MTB with the seat way up there, there is
    lots of seatpost space. Nice thing about running two rear lights, is
    that if the batteries die on one, the other is still running...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
    -- to be seen.

    I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
    psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

    Can have the opposite effect, remember, you hit what your looking at, so
    as your watching the light show, you run over the bike it's attached
    to....

    Quoted message said:


    And these?

    www.hokeyspokes.com

    Well, they got the hokey part right. The real issue in both cases
    though, is you buy a nice light high quality bike, adding 25lbs of
    batteries isn't a big benefit.

    W

  16. NYC XYZ said:
    The Wogster said:


    Gotta link as to where these are available?

    The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

    Hmmm, US$529 add on $40 for customs, convert into beaver bucks, that's
    $654 add on the Gouging and Screwing Tax that's $700 for a light, nearly
    3 times what I spent on the bike (year end distributors clearance, I
    gotta *really* good deal). I think that's a little pricey....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
    one steady.

    Now there's an idea! Hmm....

    When I put lights on mine, I'll get a pair of $7 rear lights, and run
    them that way, since I have an MTB with the seat way up there, there is
    lots of seatpost space. Nice thing about running two rear lights, is
    that if the batteries die on one, the other is still running...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
    popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
    cash for a car.....

    The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
    -- to be seen.

    I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
    psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

    Can have the opposite effect, remember, you hit what your looking at, so
    as your watching the light show, you run over the bike it's attached
    to....

    Quoted message said:


    And these?

    www.hokeyspokes.com

    Well, they got the hokey part right. The real issue in both cases
    though, is you buy a nice light high quality bike, adding 25lbs of
    batteries isn't a big benefit.

    W

  17. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Man, that [censored] is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  18. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
    about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

    And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

    Man, that [censored] is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  19. Hehehe...bike culture, indeed!

    www.hokeyspokes.com

    gotbent said:

    Man, that [censored] is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  20. Hehehe...bike culture, indeed!

    www.hokeyspokes.com

    gotbent said:

    Man, that [censored] is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.